ridestrong

UFO? Mystery Missile? WTF was it over California???

It was an airplane.

I have no idea why so many people are going apeshit over this.

Ummmm... How many private/commercial airplanes do you see that take off like a rocket with flaming engines????

AND

The military, so far saying they know nothing about it...
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

It was an airplane.

Ummmm... How many private/commercial airplanes do you see that take off like a rocket with flaming engines????

There's no "flame."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

(CBS/AP) The Pentagon Tuesday said it was trying to determine if a missile was launched Monday off the coast of Southern California and who might have launched it.

Spokesmen for the Navy, Air Force, Defense Department and North American Aerospace Defense Command said they were looking into a video posted on the CBS News website that appears to show a rocket or some other object shooting up into the sky and leaving a large contrail over the Pacific Ocean.

The video was shot by a CBS affiliate KCBS' helicopter, the station said Tuesday.

"Nobody within the Department of Defense that we've reached out to has been able to explain what this contrail is, where it came from," Pentagon spokesman Col. Dave Lapan said. "So far, we've come up empty with any explanation."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/09/national/main7037857.shtml?tag=strip

It was an airplane.

What kind of airplane? Certainly not like any I have ever seen.

Quite possibly it was some wealthy amateur rocketeer sending off an oversize toy.
Or just our military experiencing another "oh shit!" moment. :P
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

It's definitely no missile I have ever seen. Whatever it is (plane) it is traveling horizontally through the sky. Un missile like behavior.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

FAIL

That was obviously something that was taking off or launched. No way that was a private or commercial plane, and it's definitely not just flying 'horizontally'.

All those contrails in that slide show have the contrail coming from over the horizon and passing overhead. Nothing like seen in the Cali video.

Ummmm.... yeaaaaaah... I'm going to need someone to delete that other thread...... mmmmkay...... Thaaanks.

That contrail is not any indication of a missile taking off and going onto a horizontal path. That contrail in the video is showing spreading that normally happens over time. That came from over the horizon and wasn't changing altitude too much at all. I have seen OTH shots, and the contrails do not do that at all. This is not a missile.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Don't you guys realize it was the governments chemtrail machine poisoning Californians? The government is just trying disinformation to throw you off their trail as they weaken American resolve to the upcoming NWO take over.

Geez, you lemmings need to get your heads out of the sand
Peace, love and hoppiness

California Monday is the latest in a string of incidents this year where people looked up and, well, had absolutely no idea what they were looking at.

Why should they...are they in the airforce? Are they millitary experts.

give it a rest...there is nothing in the consitution that say we have to tell you anything.

Except that there are no bloody aliens.:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

UFO? Mystery Missile? WTF was it over California???

Short story and video: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/09/tech/main7038238.shtml

This is actually pretty simple to figure out. We are seeing a three dimensional event in two dimensions. As a pilot I can tell that it’s an airplane putting out a contrail for a hundred plus miles. The flattening out way behind is caused by the upper winds over time. The flash of flame is the reflection of the sun, which seems to be at a low angle, off the aircraft.

This is just a typical case of media manipulation. The stations helicopter got some unusual looking footage. Someone there was either very stupid or very smart. I vote for deviously smart. CBS gets some “expert” to say that they don’t know what it is. Then they go to a military spokesperson. Now they know a military press spokesman isn’t going to immediately say yes or no to it being a missile. They are going to say that they are looking into it. Now you have two sources saying that they don’t know what it is, one of them being the military who say they don’t know if it was a missile or not!

Now you use peoples fears to imply a conspiracy story by simply stating that that no one, including the military, knows if this was a missile launch or not. The story spreads around the world, along with the stations film, which now makes them a ton of money.

And the bottom line is that in this day and age, the news media is now the news business. It’s not about the truth, it’s about the money.

Is everyone enjoying their Kool-Aid?

if there was ever a verifiable extra-terrestrial ufo, wouldn't the press release be great ?
"we don't know what is. they have superior technology that we have no defense against. they can herd you into cattle cars at any time and eat you.
have a pleasant day. begin panicking when you feel it is appropriate."

It's an airplane.

We know it's not a ballistic missile because it is not gaining altitude. This was shot at sunset and if it was gaining altitude the contrail would be getting brighter and not darker as time goes on. Instead, the contrail is dimming - as one would expect with west-east movement of a vehicle at a contant altitude at sunset.

Anyone who has seen one of those evening launches from Vandenberg has seen darkness except for a brightly lit contrail way up there. This didn't look ANYTHING like that - no twilight illumination effect.

If it was a missile the contrail would be getting BRIGHTER and not darker. This thing is getting darker and not lighter. Sweet, Jesus

THIS is what a missile contrail looks like at dusk and twilight. (I remember this one - 1997.)

Here's another one. http://www.moonglow.net/ccd/pictures/rocket/CRW_8042.jpg

The higher the contrail is, the brighter it is in comparison with the atmosphere at ground level because the exhaust plume is sunlit while the ground is not.

Edited to add: the most recent launch a few days ago was just a few minutes late to get the twilight illumination of the contrail.

My wife is hotter than your wife.