rhaig

Campus Concealed Carry likely to make a showing in TX this session

Shady as in looking suspicious...Im a lot less worried about the guy with the overalls and camo tee with a john deere hat with his gun than the guy with baggy pants and wearing solid colors...hows that for stereotyping?

You are learning fast.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I just don't want the latter who's not trained in gun safety to be able to carry his Glock on campus (still stereotyping?). Nor do I want my roommate, who's a farmer and hunter and been raised shooting guns and learning gun safety to be able to have his on campus.

Why?

If a person is trained, what difference should it make?

What do you have against their gun loving lifestyle?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I just don't want the latter who's not trained in gun safety to be able to carry his Glock on campus (still stereotyping?). Nor do I want my roommate, who's a farmer and hunter and been raised shooting guns and learning gun safety to be able to have his on campus.

We'l talk again, in 20 years, after hopefully, (under the protection of others), you have grown up, and see what your opinion is then!

My bet is , it will have changed!

>>>Why?

Guns don't belong on a college campus

>>>If a person is trained, what difference should it make?

Police, sure. A 19 year old Accounting major (not me) has no need to carry a gun to class, regardless if he's trained.

>>>What do you have against their gun loving lifestyle?

Nothing

If a law passes allowing everyone to carry a gun, everyone is going to rush out and get one because they feel like they will need to protect themselves from all the other people who went out and bought guns.

if a law passes allowing concealed carry, the streets will run with blood and it will be like the old west
hey look. that didn't happen either!
--
Rob

If a law passes allowing everyone to carry a gun, everyone is going to rush out and get one because they feel like they will need to protect themselves from all the other people who went out and bought guns.

if a law passes allowing concealed carry, the streets will run with blood and it will be like the old west
hey look. that didn't happen either!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/09/national/main521212.shtml

>>>Why?

Police, sure. A 19 year old Accounting major (not me) has no need to carry a gun to class, regardless if he's trained.

Nothing

So...let me get this "straight" so to speak..

You think you have a right to control others Lifestyle?

>>>Why?

Nothing

Im never 'straight'.

No. Just public safety on a college campus.

So the constitution should be suspended when you cross the property line of a college campus.

My campus's policy, if you are going to bring a gun on campus, it must be left a the campus police station in the gun locker, accessible to you 24/7.

So...Nut case walks into the class, you magically get to the police staion to get the gun, then magically return to yoru body to protect yourself and others?

Homicidal maniacs choose schools specifically because they know there won't be anyone there armed to stop them

Really?!?!?

I went through the list in that wiki link you provided. In the far majority of shootings, the perpetrator has a very strong tie to the school as either a student or an employee. Don't you think that tie is a much stronger motivator for the choice in location?

>>>Why?

Nothing

Im never 'straight'.

No. Just public safety on a college campus.

so Your ideals, principals outway the majority?

I am absolutely in favor in allowing CHL on campuses. This is already allowed in UTAH. Havn't heard of any issues there. I grew up in the Peoples Republic of Californina in the 60s and 70s. When I was 14 my dad bought a couple rifles for me to shoot at the range. I kept them in my room on a rifle rack and I respected them for what they were. I was home alone one afternoon when a guy did a home invasion on me. He was met with a rifle and quickly decided he didn't want anything and ran. Today You can see the results of further restricting and disarming the people there. Victims, victims, victims. It's just madness. I remember the big hoopla in the 80s when Florida passed their concealed carry law. They claimed that blood would be running in the streets and that it would be like dodge city. It never happened. These arguments against allowing citizens to be armed come from Academics who believe in their position. I respect their right to their opinion, but I disrespect when someone stands by their claims in the face of incontrovertable facts that people who arm themselves for self protection have in some way increased the danger to others. Some claim that young people can't be responsible, especially on campus with alcohol around and the party atmosphere. When my son turned 21 I thought he'd go and get his permit. He didn't. He told me he wanted to think about it. He waited 18 months before he decided to get it. He said it was a big responsibility and wanted to think about it for a while. It really is a matter of maturity but unfortunately law cannot define maturity except to establish an age for it. I know I'm rambling but i'm a father with grown children and old enough for rambling to be considered normal.

I am absolutely in favor in allowing CHL on campuses. This is already allowed in UTAH. Havn't heard of any issues there. I grew up in the Peoples Republic of Californina in the 60s and 70s. When I was 14 my dad bought a couple rifles for me to shoot at the range. I kept them in my room on a rifle rack and I respected them for what they were. I was home alone one afternoon when a guy did a home invasion on me. He was met with a rifle and quickly decided he didn't want anything and ran. Today You can see the results of further restricting and disarming the people there. Victims, victims, victims. It's just madness. I remember the big hoopla in the 80s when Florida passed their concealed carry law. They claimed that blood would be running in the streets and that it would be like dodge city. It never happened. These arguments against allowing citizens to be armed come from Academics who believe in their position. I respect their right to their opinion, but I disrespect when someone stands by their claims in the face of incontrovertable facts that people who arm themselves for self protection have in some way increased the danger to others. Some claim that young people can't be responsible, especially on campus with alcohol around and the party atmosphere. When my son turned 21 I thought he'd go and get his permit. He didn't. He told me he wanted to think about it. He waited 18 months before he decided to get it. He said it was a big responsibility and wanted to think about it for a while. It really is a matter of maturity but unfortunately law cannot define maturity except to establish an age for it. I know I'm rambling but i'm a father with grown children and old enough for rambling to be considered normal.

PLUS an added benifit I noticed if Florida, Business owners were friendlier, they weren;t worried about hwo I "looked" , they knew they were safe!

I never went in a single business there that didn;t have a pistol withinm easy reach of the clerk!

I have a personal experience of getting shot by a drunk... who thought a 12 year old girl dressed in orange in a mixed conifer deciduous forest was a target.

Yet you want to ban sober college students form self protection.

Your argument is weak.

It is the fact that people who are impaired by drugs and alcohol have no business picking up a loaded weapon but that is just me

[sarcasm] Well, then we should make that illegal[/sarcasm]. Hint: It is already illegal.

Are you a member of the Dick Cheney school of hunting

No, I have never been shot... Unlike you. So you must have been top of your class.;)

so Your ideals, principals outway the majority?

Sounds like a prime candidate for the tea party then....

It's funny, I keep hearing crap liek that, But have never met a member of the TEA party that doesn't just simply want America back on track....[:/]

NO I am NOT a member , I know many who are!

>Your argument makes as much sense as banning cars because you
>were once hit by a drunk driver.

I think it's more akin to wanting to ban drunk driving because you were once hit by a drunk driver. (Which would seem like a sensible thing to advocate.)

No, she wants to ban driving *on campus* since she was hit by a drunk driver in the woods.

Her logic is weak.

There are already laws forbidding the carry of weapons while intoxicated... no one argues that. She is arguing against campus carry since she was shot by a drunk in the woods.

>Your argument makes as much sense as banning cars because you
>were once hit by a drunk driver.

I think it's more akin to wanting to ban drunk driving because you were once hit by a drunk driver. (Which would seem like a sensible thing to advocate.)

No, she wants to ban driving *on campus* since she was hit by a drunk driver in the woods.

Her logic is weak.

There are already laws forbidding the carry of weapons while intoxicated... no one argues that. She is arguing against campus carry since she was shot by a drunk in the woods.

It's as clear as the Mud..............

Nor do I want my roommate, who's a farmer and hunter and been raised shooting guns and learning gun safety to be able to have his on campus.

I have to ask why?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln