happythoughts

year round school

There has been some recent news about extending the school year.
Some referred to school for the entire year.

I am against the idea because -

If the program isn't working, keeping kids there longer is not going to help.

The model should be changed to something that works.
Many people talk about the technical school path in
other countries. Not computers, but electronics, engineering, and mechanical.

At some point, kids need time off from the pressure of
school and tests. Overwork and stress are killing American adults,
giving a 10 yo a stress illness is not an improvement.

Year round school has breaks, just not all at once. The number of school days remains the same. Since summer break was so that kids could help on the farm, its not as big of a deal. The lack of the traditional three months off means less time spent in review. By what I've read it's better for the kid's educational process. I'm only against it because I like my wife having summers off.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

>I am against the idea because if the program isn't working, keeping
>kids there longer is not going to help.

===========
Education Edge: The Pitfalls of Summer Vacation

Updated: Monday, 02 Aug 2010, 8:12 AM CDT
Published : Monday, 02 Aug 2010, 8:12 AM CDT

Austin, TX - Summer vacation is a hot topic these days among education reformers. Recent research shows children can lose up to three months of learning during the summer break and economically disadvantaged children often fall the furthest behind. Schools across the country are responding by adding summer enrichment opportunities during the summer. Some districts have even switched to a year round schedule and lengthened the school year. . . .

The problem facing educators is that for many low-income children summer break means boredom, isolation and falling behind academically.

Researchers at John Hopkins University recently discovered two-thirds of the achievement gap could be blamed on summer vacation. They compared test scores at the beginning of the school year and at the end and found children showed about the same amount of academic progress during the school year, regardless of economic status. But children from high income families held steady or improved academically during the summer, while disadvantaged students fell behind. Children with resources are able to have quality educational opportunities even when they are out of school in the form of camps, field trips and vacations to new places. Low-income students find themselves stuck at home languishing in front of a television screen. Without access to opportunities to apply what they've learned, these children forget academic skills and concepts.
======================

The current school year is a function of kids having to help their parents on the farm. Many countries organize their vacations differently, as do many home-schoolers.

The more options there are for kids, the better -- there are so many things that just one system won't do well. And the more expensive for the educational system.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The USA has a shorter school year than just about any other developed country, and our achievement scores show it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>At some point, kids need time off from the pressure of
>school and tests. Overwork and stress are killing American adults,
>giving a 10 yo a stress illness is not an improvement.

"Overwork" and "stress" are not caused by jobs, they are caused by people.

Having to work in a coal mine 14 hours a day is a stressful job; that can kill you from overwork. Sitting in an airconditioned office for 10 hours a day, or welding frames together for 8 hours a day, is nothing in comparison.

People often feel stress in work situations, and that stress can lead to health problems through lack of exercise, higher blood pressure, obesity etc. That's not due to those horrible air conditioned offices or deadly OSHA-regulated worksites, that's due to how people handle social pressures to perform. And that's something we should be teaching kids how to handle from an early age - not avoiding them by teaching them "just deal with this horrible place until June, then you're free!" Because for the most part they're going to spend the rest of their lives in one of those horrible places, places they expect you to do something to get paid.

I'm for and against it-

On one side, I think anyone high school age or older should be expected to work during the summer. I worked a shitty job on a farm for four summers during high school- that's some motivation for higher education! During college, I was fortunate to get four summers of well paid engineering internships and this probably taught me at least as much as I learned in the classroom. The classroom is not the only place for learning.

On the other side, I could see the benefit for younger children who would otherwise be up to no good in the summers!:P

The USA has a shorter school year than just about any other developed country, and our achievement scores show it.

With todays working families, it would impact the daycare industry pretty hard to make the school run year round.

It would save the households with two working parents a LOAD of money every year though.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'm for and against it-

On one side, I think anyone high school age or older should be expected to work during the summer. I worked a shitty job on a farm for four summers during high school- that's some motivation for higher education! During college, I was fortunate to get four summers of well paid engineering internships and this probably taught me at least as much as I learned in the classroom. The classroom is not the only place for learning.

On the other side, I could see the benefit for younger children who would otherwise be up to no good in the summers!:P

Were you for it before you were against it?
Or againt it before you were for it?

:ph34r:;)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

it would impact the daycare industry pretty hard to make the school run year round.

Good point, since the ex-wife runs a daycare I say let's put her bitchy self to living in a cardboard box-heaven knows she couldn't make it as a hooker.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

it would impact the daycare industry pretty hard to make the school run year round.

Good point, since the ex-wife runs a daycare I say let's put her bitchy self to living in a cardboard box-heaven knows she couldn't make it as a hooker.

Yeah - but I build daycares . . . soooo - i am mixed about that.

I guess there will always be more/other buildings - OK - I'm on board - send your ex wife to the Box.:D;)

There's no doubt that year round school would improve test scores. Kids lose a lot with two to three months out of school...(all at once). Research has proven that.

I've always enjoyed the long summer break. It's a time for not only kids, but also educators to rest up from the long school year.

And who says summer is nothing but a waste. Many kids take trips with their parents, and do all types of other educational activities during the summer. But then again many kids do not come out of such a great home or enriched environment....

I've talked to teachers who have year round school. Many states have this already. Most teachers like it fine. They aren't really in school any longer than those who have the long summer break. They get weeks and weeks off during the school year.

Extending the school year might help those students who have a poor home life. Many kids have a terrible home and school is a much better place.

A longer school year would also result in a higher burn out rate for teachers. I don't think I could have lasted 26 years in education without a healthy summer break to recharge. If you work in a really tough school, 180 days of school per year, is enough...

There is usually summer school at my school. I'm glad someone else teaches that. I don't want any part of it. My brain is fried after a long school year...

Make ALL schools boarding schools!
I mean like 24/7 boarding schools, eh?

If time-in-school is the answer, hell, keep them there all day...and night.

illustrating absurdity with absurdity , how bizzare , don't turn around !

You obviously don't know Andy . . .

:D:D

And make them all wear uniforms. I saw a tour here on campus today from a school in China with about 60 girls in tow. They reminded me of my parochial school days. Thye were all dressed in a simple blue blaser white blouse and a grey skirt. Focus on Academics not on the fashion show.

And make them all wear uniforms. I saw a tour here on campus today from a school in China with about 60 girls in tow. They reminded me of my parochial school days. Thye were all dressed in a simple blue blaser white blouse and a grey skirt. Focus on Academics not on the fashion show.

but, dovetails into the mandatory military training and nationalism type concerns.

Yes, make them all good little gobots. They all need to be alike. Individuality, creativity, freedom, etc are all highly overrated.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

When I was a kid, my parents would take us on long vacations (a month or so) to places we'd never been. If my brother and I had gone to year round school, chances are we wouldn't have been "off track" at the same time, and as my mother is a teacher, she wouldn't have had time off either, and our vacations would have been impossible.

I think I learned more traveling than I ever did in school.

I have such fond memories of summers off as a kid. Great fun, great friends, lazy days & days of hard play & days of hard work.

Somehow I survived, despite the current studies being touted as proof that those summers off were secretly damaging my potential, and despite the fact our family was of meager means.

Kids should be out of school from Memorial Day thru Labor Day. Problem kids are going to be problem kids anyway. Maybe the answer is to identify them and provide some structure if needed.

The comment about them having nothing to do but watch TV - that is a problem with the parents - and one they most likely started creating even before the child reached school age.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

illustrating absurdity with absurdity , how bizzare , don't turn around !

I studied boarding schools when I was in grad school. I found it really interesting that research indicates that borders tend to do better in college and are more likely to go to graduate school than non borders. This is probably because boarding school teaches a certain amount of independence and responsibility for one's studies from the start. Interestingly, boarders tend to also indicate that they have a stronger relationship with their parents because the time spent together is more treasured and positive.

Yes, make them all good little gobots. They all need to be alike. Individuality, creativity, freedom, etc are all highly overrated.

I want schools to be about EDUCATION... instead of the quagmire they currently are....PERIOD

School is supposed to be about learning... it ain't a party.

>I have such fond memories of summers off as a kid. Great fun, great
>friends, lazy days & days of hard play & days of hard work. Somehow I
>survived, despite the current studies being touted as proof that those
>summers off were secretly damaging my potential, and despite the fact our
>family was of meager means.

Me too. In fact, I even survived four years of single-sex religious high school. But that's not an argument that that's a good way to do things.

We should keep vacations as an integral part of schooling. We should just spread them out a bit more, so kids don't have as much time to regress.

>Maybe the answer is to identify them and provide some structure if needed.

OK. How do we do that?

>Maybe the answer is to identify them and provide some structure if needed.

OK. How do we do that?

Provide optional enrichment summer school. This could be done at very low cost, as to become teachers, students are required to do a certain amount of unpaid "student teaching" (unless the teacher has been hired on an "emergency credential", but those are fewer and fewer, as they've been made more difficult to obtain). Offer those student teaching positions in the summer, have one supervisory teacher per department (one for history, one for science, etc) to help with lesson planning and offer assistance when needed, and let the student teachers handle most of the classes.

That way, the student teachers get their experience, and the kids get summer structure and additional time for academics.

Also, if this is offered, students and parents who care about academics will have a tendency to accept the offer of free summer school, while the families that place less importance on academics are free to do other things.