happythoughts

year round school

Based on a lot of writing in here (and I'm NOT referring to Airman1270), I'd have to say that a decent number of the more (ahem) right-thinking folks didn't pay much attention during writing, either.

Wendy P.

THHHHHWAPPPPPP

Ohhhhh that has gotta hurt:ph34r:

That wa a mighty fine bitch slap Wendy:ph34r::ph34r:

Indeed. :)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Based on a lot of writing in here (and I'm NOT referring to Airman1270), I'd have to say that a decent number of the more (ahem) right-thinking folks didn't pay much attention during writing, either.

Wendy P.

THHHHHWAPPPPPP

Ironic Slaps must hurt the worst.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Wendy P.

THHHHHWAPPPPPP

And we are talking about your sex life why????

Wendy P.

THHHHHWAPPPPPP

And we are talking about your sex life why????

AH, I see, the old, "Trouble admittng you were wrong" thing again.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Why in the world would anyone want to be a teacher in America.

You will work for a minimum amount of pay at one of the most stressful jobs there is anywhere. You will get zero respect. Almost everyone thinks the educational system stinks these days. Almost everyone knows of a crappy teacher somewhere, who needs to be fired. After all aren't all teachers no good??? You'll be told you are not measuring up, over and over again. You need to do more will be the cry.... Your test scores are not high enough. America's kids don't measure up, and surely all this must be your fault.

Anyone with a 3rd grade education knows more about education than you do, even though you may have six years of college. Yes, even high school drop outs know more. After all they went to school once and Yes, they must be experts on this subject.

And then there are wind bag politicians who think they are experts too. I voted for O'bama. To tell you the truth I have come to reget that decision. His ideas on how to improve the education system seem to be coming from Nutsville. How are they any different than Bush's thoughts. I really can't see any difference. We don't need more "No Child Left Behind B. S." Haven't those ideas proven to be faulty.

If you are a teacher or are contemplating entering this carreer field, I would like to say Thankyou! Without caring people like you I'm not sure where I would have ended up. You gave me advice and encouragement when all I got from home was that, I wasn't worth much. I think American teachers need a pat on the back for all the good that they do each day. They put up with a ton of B. S. each day, because they care about kids and they are trying to make a difference....And yes, they do make a wonderful difference much of the time!....

Thanks for the acknowledgement. Lots of good posts from both sides. I agree most with those of you who have mentioned the lack of motivation in students and link this to the home life. I teach at a school where most kids are "economically disadvantaged." Some perform, and many don't. I find that nine times out of ten, it has to do with the environment at home (or wherever they spend the night).

Zach

Thanks for the acknowledgement. Lots of good posts from both sides. I agree most with those of you who have mentioned the lack of motivation in students and link this to the home life. I teach at a school where most kids are "economically disadvantaged." Some perform, and many don't. I find that nine times out of ten, it has to do with the environment at home (or wherever they spend the night).

Zach

For college students, the linkage is supposed to be to
future opportunities. I know students who just graduated
from college and cannot find related work. That information
makes it way among the current students.
Hard to establish the linkage between the effort required
for college-level study and a return.

For the non-college prep student, I favor a more applied
direction to the study. From high school, we should be graduating
people with valid work skills.
Something beyond minimal mathematics and reading skills.

Zach

Which points at one of the main issues. While every body points fingers (And up here in Canada there is blame to go all around, many teachers who are in it for nothing but the benefits), the system pumps out a large number of stupid kids.

All you can try and do is, design and provide the best educational system possible, so that you can give kids the best chance they have. You'll never be able to reach all of them, but you can try and get as many as you possibly can.