BecomeAddicted

What religion are you?

I know this poll has been done before.... several times even... but the most recent one that I could find using the search feature was ~ 2 years ago. I'm just curious what the prevailing religion (or lack thereof) is among my fellow skydivers!

Personally, I was raised Jewish, but as soon as I actually began to read the Torah, Bible, Qur'an, etc. and study human psychological theory and science (I have undergrad degrees in biochemistry and psychology), it seemed very unrealistic to me. Now both my parents are atheists as well. :S

So what religion are you?! Thanks! B|

Agnostic ... the universe and it's origins are beyond my comprehension to know definitively whether or not there is or is not a God looking over us. But I am pretty confident that if there is a God, it's nothing remotely close to the man made God the various religions of this world claim it to be.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Native American. My nation beleives hell is on earth and once our spirits are released we go to atral planes...the higher the plane you are on, the higher you reach your personal nirvana. I believe the Buddhists believe in that theory also?
" Mean people SUCK!"

Native American. My nation beleives hell is on earth and once our spirits are released we go to atral planes...the higher the plane you are on, the higher you reach your personal nirvana. I believe the Buddhists believe in that theory also?

I respect your views...very tempting, but my problem with them is that when I was there I felt like my own god, and was capable of much damage.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I'm a mut...

Catholic

Christian-other

Jewish

Buddhist

Agnostic

Athiest

Spiritual, but not religious

Polythiestic

Monotheistic

Christian - Protestant

finally fisnished up at Christian, but not religious...works for me.;)

:D

:)
*edit*

However, being up in northern michigan, I'm now thinking of spending next summer in an Amish community...they've struck my curiosity.

I think I can do it...I'm just curious on their stance of evangelism. Doesn't seem right to just keep everything to themselves, but I hear they have a choice to leave once they are 18. I'm just very ignorant of the lifestyle, want to know more...who knows...maybe, I'll find true love?:$

the religion of SKydiving

the 10 commandments are.
1 Thou shalt repect and adhere to, the words of your instructors...

2. Thou shall not covet thy riggers wife

3. thou shall not lie about jumps numbers

4. Thou shall Accept and abide by, the LAw of Gravity..

5. thou shall 'sit one out',, when the winds are honking

6. If the choice be made to downsize.... do so sensibly.

7. when in doubt,,, whip it out !!

8. Whatever the PILOT in Command Says.... Goes..

9 . Thou shall BUY beer.. upon completion of any "first"
and lastly...
10. Upon reaching altitude on a skydive, on any sunday morning.. Thou shall offer thanks and praise,,, for the beautiful visuals and sensory thrills,,,, which are about to be had...:DB|;)

all may feel free to ADD to the list of Commandments...

these are just off the top of my head...

jimmytavino
A 3914
D 12122

the religion of SKydiving

the 10 commandments are.
1 Thou shalt repect and adhere to, the words of your instructors...

2. Thou shall not covet thy riggers wife

3. thou shall not lie about jumps numbers

4. Thou shall Accept and abide by, the LAw of Gravity..

5. thou shall 'sit one out',, when the winds are honking

6. If the choice be made to downsize.... do so sensibly.

7. when in doubt,,, whip it out !!

8. Whatever the PILOT in Command Says.... Goes..

9 . Thou shall BUY beer.. upon completion of any "first"
and lastly...
10. Upon reaching altitude on a skydive, on any sunday morning.. Thou shall offer thanks and praise,,, for the beautiful visuals and sensory thrills,,,, which are about to be had...:DB|;)

all may feel free to ADD to the list of Commandments...

these are just off the top of my head...

jimmytavino
A 3914
D 12122

Which nation are you from?

beleives hell is on earth and once our spirits are released we go to atral planes...the higher the plane you are on, the higher you reach your personal nirvana. I believe the Buddhists believe in that theory also?

Buddhism is not phrased in those terms. Buddhism emphasizes transcending yourself for the benefit of all. There is no concept of spirit. It is simply mind and body. Mind is a combination of your thoughts and the feelings in your heart, simultaneously. Buddhists make absolutely no distinction between the two. They are one, and it is referred to as Mind. Your body is the vehicle for this life (known as samsara). Through your virtues accumulated via your "gross mind" (your waking mind) in this life (and those past), into your subtle mind (generally experienced as your sleeping mind), you make imprints on your very subtle mind. Your very subtle mind, and its imprints, is what carries forward into your next life, in whatever form that may be, based upon the total accumulation of your karma across all incarnations.

Buddhism is the clearest expression of truth I have personally encountered. It is the only belief system that in no way violates my understanding of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics.
We are all engines of karma

Doesn't seem right to just keep everything to themselves, but I hear they have a choice to leave once they are 18. I'm just very ignorant of the lifestyle, want to know more...who knows...maybe, I'll find true love?

One of the more interesting scenes during my days in Manhattan were when the Amish came in on a trip, clearly intending them to decide what they want to do in life. Very genuine people, who are simply not "part of our world" (for the lack of a better phrase).
We are all engines of karma

I've adopted the answer I saw some one give on this forum; I'm not superstitious at all.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Buddhism is the clearest expression of truth I have personally encountered. It is the only belief system that in no way violates my understanding of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics.

From what I recall though, that is very much your understanding of it;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That is very likely, specifically relative to how much danger and/or fear the person is experiancing at any given moment. Immenant death will give you religion REALLY fast.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

haaa, Fine .. 3 squares a day

I thought you guys called them fags over there in the U.K.:D

but either way, moderation is always a good thing...ooops, there I go speaking in absolutes again.;)

FWIW, Judaism is a tribal identity, not a religion.

The tribes have strong religious traditions, but these have significantly different meaning than they do to the Universal Religions (Christianity, Islam, et. al.) that have chosen them as a basis.

A jew who is a non-believer is still a jew. Rather a few observant jews are also atheists. One can value family traditions without being locked into a bronze-age mentality (three is a rather bad approximation for pi...).

BSBD,

Winsor

FWIW, Judaism is a tribal identity, not a religion.

The tribes have strong religious traditions, but these have significantly different meaning than they do to the Universal Religions (Christianity, Islam, et. al.) that have chosen them as a basis.

A jew who is a non-believer is still a jew. Rather a few observant jews are also atheists. One can value family traditions without being locked into a bronze-age mentality (three is a rather bad approximation for pi...).

BSBD,

Winsor

Yeah...... what are the names of the LOST tribes again???