SkydiveJack

Do you support burning a Koran this weekend?

You're right. Only Turtle and I appreciate the irony of a German talking about burning people.
:S

Appreciate whatever you like. No one was talking about Germans burning people.

Perhaps you missed some history lessons in school. There are too many *faults* in your train of thoughts, I really do not like to rub your nose in it.

Have fun :P

I wouldn't say "No one":|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

"In his 1821 play, Almansor, the German writer Heinrich Heine — referring to the burning of the Muslim holy book, the Qur'an, during the Spanish Inquisition — wrote, "Where they burn books, so too will they in the end burn human beings." ("Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen.""

from wikipedia (and a wise guy from my hometown. ;))

Odd - I can only find this on the wiki page referencing the Almansor quote:

Among the thousands of books burned on Berlin's Opernplatz in 1933, following the Nazi raid on the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft, were works by Heinrich Heine. To commemorate the terrible event, one of the most famous lines of Heine's 1821 play Almansor was engraved in the ground at the site: "Das war ein Vorspiel nur, dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen." ("That was but a prelude; where they burn books, they will ultimately burn people also.")

Can you point out the part where it talks about the Inquisition and burning the Qur'an? I can't seem to find it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You're right. Only Turtle and I appreciate the irony of a German talking about burning people.

And burning books.:ph34r:

Turtle, your way back to the ocean is blocked.

Question was: Koran.

Remember??

:)

You just don't see the irony/humor . . . we get that.
The horse is dead - put your Keule down.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Can you point out the part where it talks about the Inquisition and burning the Qur'an? I can't seem to find it.

There is one, just have a look at German Wikipedia about Spanish Inquisition, 15th century, Heinrich-Heine-Zitat. (1499/1500)

Didn't bother to find out in English version, which seems to be quite different.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Germany as it existed leading up to WWII bore little resemblance to the mess of territories that were around in the early 19th century. Also, Heinrich Heine wasn't exactly a spokesperson for any of the governments around at the time.

How funny would it be if in 2110 something Jon Stewart had said today contradicted the actions of the government of the Unified Western Hemisphere Alliance?

Germany as it existed leading up to WWII bore little resemblance to the mess of territories that were around in the early 19th century. Also, Heinrich Heine wasn't exactly a spokesperson for any of the governments around at the time.

How funny would it be if in 2110 something Jon Stewart had said today contradicted the actions of the government of the Unified Western Hemisphere Alliance?

Does 2110 come after 2012?

So now the saying is "If you burn the koran you will eventually use a thermo-nuclear device, napalm, and flash bang grenades"?
Wow.
I need to go find where in the US history we burned the Koran that led to those actions.
Seeing we have already done those things, we're probably covered on the burning of the Koran this coming Saturday too one might think.
[:/]

There is one, just have a look at German Wikipedia about Spanish Inquisition, 15th century, Heinrich-Heine-Zitat. (1499/1500)

Didn't bother to find out in English version, which seems to be quite different.

Wasn't in the English version for either Heine or the Inquisition - the only mention of books being destroyed was this:

In addition to censorship, the Inquisition also had a campaign to destroy books. In Salamanca near the end of the 15th century, more than sixteen thousand books were burned in a single auto de fe.

Some scholars indicate that one of the main effects of the inquisition was to end free thought and scientific thought in Spain. As one contemporary Spanish in exile put it: "Our country is a land of ... barbarism; down there one cannot produce any culture without being suspected of heresy, error and Judaism. Thus silence was imposed on the learned." For the next few centuries, while the rest of Europe was slowly awakened by the influence of the Enlightenment, Spain stagnated.[41] However, this conclusion is contested. The censorship of books was actually very ineffective, and prohibited books circulated in Spain without significant problems. The Spanish Inquisition never persecuted scientists, and relatively few scientific books were placed on the Index. On the other hand, Spain was a state with more political freedom than in other absolute monarchies in the 16th to 18th centuries. The backwardness of Spain in economy and science can hardly be attributed to the Inquisition.[42]

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Does 2110 come after 2012?

Lots of years come after 2012.

Burning books.... so old school..

Agreed... we should be burning iPads

"...let's see here..."

"...iBooks... iBooks book store... search... Qur... 'an... purchase... yes I'm sure..."

"Ah ha!"

:D:D:D
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Whether you agree or not with this guy in Florida about burning a Koran, there is another aspect to this whole situation that people seem to be missing.

What I find interesting is the News Medias role in fanning these soon to be lit flames.

It’s like they are about to pee in their pants with excitement as the day draws nearer. They can’t wait to air it. I’m sure we will see TV news networks doing live reports of the burning. And if the local Fire Department douses the flames, I’m sure the TV networks will show burnings at other locations. Then they will have crews ready to film the uproar around the world as Muslims riot, burn bibles and kill people in return. It’s good money for the networks.

There is a lot of theater to this and we are all having our chains yanked.

Well?

No, I do not support it

But I support his right to do it however

I also support his right to change his mind so as to do what is right thing

Now we can only hope the mosque builders will do the same
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln