Bolas

An unrefutable argument for Creationism...

[
Faith is belief based on NO EVIDENCE. There is good evidence in support of all the beliefs described above. OTOH, religious beliefs are based on no evidence whatsoever. Your religious beliefs have no more foundation in evidence than belief in Zeus, Thor, or the FSM.

Why is the search for a faith based reality such a big part of so many peoples lives? The evidence is obvious once one realizes the void in their life and then experiences the fulfillment of God. Repeat your faith based mantra all you like, science will never meet the needs of the spirit, only God can do that.

Which God would that be? There are thousands to choose from.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The evidence is obvious once one realizes the void in their life and then experiences the fulfillment of God uses intellectual dishonesty to re-define the word "evidence."

Fixed, to demonstrate truth.

science will never meet the needs of the spirit

Nor is it meant to. The problem arises when people with religious beliefs refuse to recognize that the corollary is also true.

[
Faith is belief based on NO EVIDENCE. There is good evidence in support of all the beliefs described above. OTOH, religious beliefs are based on no evidence whatsoever. Your religious beliefs have no more foundation in evidence than belief in Zeus, Thor, or the FSM.

Why is the search for a faith based reality such a big part of so many peoples lives? The evidence is obvious once one realizes the void in their life and then experiences the fulfillment of God. Repeat your faith based mantra all you like, science will never meet the needs of the spirit, only God can do that.

Which one? Zeus? Adonai (note: the tetragrammaton yod-heh-vav-heh is not pronounced)? Odin? Gichimanitou? Baal? Ra?

"In the beginning, God created man. Man, being a gentleman, returned the favor." Clarence Darrow

>science will never meet the needs of the spirit

Agreed. And religion will never meet the needs of science.

I'll agree that religion will never meet the needs of science, but I can't agree that science will never meet the needs of the spirit. I think there is a scientific explanation for why certain things (belief in a god, belief in chakras, whatever...) help to heal a person emotionally or "spiritually". So I think that the more we learn about this type of biological function, the more that science will "meet the needs of the spirit." And even the use of psychotropic drugs to induce a spiritual experience - I'd call that using science to meet the needs of the spirit.

>but I can't agree that science will never meet the needs of the spirit.

Perhaps I should have worded it something like "science will never meet the need that many people have for a religion." People need a lot of things spiritually, and some people need a belief in a higher power. That's a need that (IMO) cannot be met by science.

Perhaps I should have worded it something like "science will never meet the need that many people have for a religion." People need a lot of things spiritually, and some people need a belief in a higher power. That's a need that (IMO) cannot be met by science.

Well, I think that "science" can induce a belief in a higher power (through the use of drugs or other methods that may one day be developed much further). But yeah, that doesn't fill one's need for "religion," which might involve certain rituals and a sense of community (and which there is also likely a scientific explanation for, and therefore likely a scientific substitution - I guess I don't really see anything as being outside the realm of science, but then it's a fairly broad term).

You could do that without contradicting yourself. You can't just go around saying "There is no proof, you just have to have faith... but here are examples of god messing around with people's lives that i think are proof" and not expect to be called on it.

What do you have against faith?

You have faith that your main and reserve will work, right?

you have faith that gravity will work, right?

You have faith that a newbee will bring some beer for some firsts, right?

Who are you to say that faith is wrong? Who are you to even begin to tell someone what they are to believe or not believe?

So you are saying that Jesus didn't exist.
I bet you believe that the holocaust never happened either.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Excellent point.

You believe the holocaust happened? Were you there? Did you witness the event personally? How do you know it happened?

I'm guessing that you were not there, but have seen evidence that it occurred, and found that evidence to be compelling. I believe there are groups of people who believe the holocaust did not occur? They have rejected the evidence because it does not fit with their belief system. They will cling to that dogma, no matter what you say to them, or what evidence you attempt to show them. To you, this makes no sense. The evidence is voluminous. Scholars, historians, scientists, philosophers, laymen, all in agreement that the holocaust did occur. One small sect of people who reject logic and reason in favor of their narrow belief.

Sound familiar?

Someone else said it better than I can.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” -Stephen Roberts

Say what you mean. Do what you say.

Who said the troubles had no effect on the youth of today:D

I can't believe that there are people in this thread that took this at face value without realising it was a joke:D:D:D

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

What's even funnier is that some people seem to actually think that he is being serious...

or maybe they're just the "smart" ones.. :ph34r::ph34r::D

Where is there even a hint that he is kidding? He appears to be as serious as the nutters who set up that Disney-style creationism theme park. Maybe they are just kidding too. And the 911 truthers, and Moon hoaxers, and Holocaust deniers, and Planet X crowd; yeah, they are all just pulling our chain to see how long we go along thinking they are serious.

1) The amount of swearing for a start
2) At least once or twice he struggles to keep a straight face
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

So you are saying that Jesus didn't exist.
I bet you believe that the holocaust never happened either.

Why don't you just stop trolling here and go back to the bonfire?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Why is the search for a faith based reality such a big part of so many peoples lives?

Because when you get down to it, reality is all that we will ever have. Faith has nothing to do with reality. Reality (unlike superstitions) is something that even when you stop beleiving in it, does not go away.

There is no difference between religious faith and superstitions, they are the same. Each one thinks that the natural order of the world can be magicaly affected by ones actions.

Well, I think that "science" can induce a belief in a higher power (through the use of drugs or other methods that may one day be developed much further). But yeah, that doesn't fill one's need for "religion," which might involve certain rituals and a sense of community (and which there is also likely a scientific explanation for, and therefore likely a scientific substitution - I guess I don't really see anything as being outside the realm of science, but then it's a fairly broad term).

That's a really scary thought. So those that choose not to believe may someday be able to be given a drug or something to "fix" that, possibly not by their choice. [:/]:S:(
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The problem is in other arenas of life we apply reason, evidence (or at least some of us do) and scientic method to separate good ideas from bad...with religion doing that has been made taboo because unsupportable nonsense ideas won't withstand any reasonably honest scrutiny.

Sam Harris:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4erANdR9Yw&playnext_from=TL&videos=v1fo-amzBd0
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

OK I'm convinced. I'm off to the church to sign up and give them a donation.
Also, Why aren't all the christians out doing tandum jumps. Clearly skydiving leads to death, and then dinner with Jesus. Roast beef, mashed potatos, sweet peas and peach cobler for desert. Yum!
Milk and honey upset my belly.:)

Read icculus, the helping freindly book.

What's even funnier is that some people seem to actually think that he is being serious...

or maybe they're just the "smart" ones.. :ph34r::ph34r::D

Where is there even a hint that he is kidding? He appears to be as serious as the nutters who set up that Disney-style creationism theme park. Maybe they are just kidding too. And the 911 truthers, and Moon hoaxers, and Holocaust deniers, and Planet X crowd; yeah, they are all just pulling our chain to see how long we go along thinking they are serious.

1) The amount of swearing for a start
2) At least once or twice he struggles to keep a straight face

Yep!

and then of course there's the video reply where he says: "haha it was a joke :)"
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

That's a really scary thought.

Oh, I have lots of scary thoughts. You should hang out with me sometime, and I'll fill you in on them. (You'd probably like most of them though. :P)

I may be out at Chicks Rock this year, we could compare and contrast. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

That's a really scary thought.

Oh, I have lots of scary thoughts. You should hang out with me sometime, and I'll fill you in on them. (You'd probably like most of them though. :P)

I may be out at Chicks Rock this year, we could compare and contrast. :)

OK, well, remind me to go out and be a chick that rocks. :P (At this point, I'm more likely to be at Elsinore in my kayak than at the DZ, but that could change.)

Because when you get down to it, reality is all that we will ever have. Faith has nothing to do with reality. Reality (unlike superstitions) is something that even when you stop beleiving in it, does not go away.

Wow, you sound like you have reality all figured out.

I would like to see what your life would look like if you excluded all knowledge you have acquired by using faith , but instead based every decision and action you made on personally derived facts only.

There is no difference between religious faith and superstitions, they are the same. Each one thinks that the natural order of the world can be magicaly affected by ones actions.

Say whaaaat...
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----