DesertDevil

What do you do for a living?

I do a number of things:
1. my real jobby: I jab needles into people all day long and make them feel better.
2. I talk mommies through their labor and provide them with "alternative" solutions for epidurals, C-sections, episiotomies, etc.
3. I am a consultant for Slumber Parties, where I sell sexy things and "bedroom enhancers". B|B|B| That's my most exciting job.
4. I wait tables at a local Tijuana Flats just to pass the time.
;)

If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

I convert nebulous comments of concern from our customers into tasks (additional analyses, tests, etc.) we can do something about. Then I a) do something about it or b) give it to someone else to do.

If all goes well the customers sleep well and the spacecraft work when we put them together.

>>Wireless power transfer systems

>Related to Tesla?

Sort of. He had several ideas on both inductive and capacitive power transfer, all of which held promise. Also one idea on worldwide power conduction through the ionosphere, which held less promise. Modern devices and principles are allowing us to implement something like his system in a smaller form factor.

>Couple of thousand Watts for households, more to replace regular
>power lines...

From pole to house is not too hard, from central distribution to homes is a lot harder - because then you'd be talking megawatts.

Honestly, the biggest problem you're going to see is public acceptance. Here's how it will go:

1) High frequency resonant power transmission system is designed and tested for SAR (safety) and FCC compliance. It passes.

2) Test systems are set up and work well.

3) Someone has a remote control car whose receiver uses the same frequency as the power transmitter, and they drive it across their roof through the beam. It gets blown up.

4) Irate owner lobbies the FCC to require warning label on transmitter.,

5) Next set of test systems are set up with "Warning - radiation hazard" on the transmitters.

6) Articles are written on "do you want a radiation hazard pointed at your child's bedroom? Do you want him playing in the radiation?"

7) At one of the test sites, several smokers get lung cancer.

8) The lawsuits begin.

Hm, at this level of human development where making profit and getting rich on lawsuits are important goals of life , you are absolutely right. It is sad that when somebody has a good idea, first two things that come to mind are: "How much money can I make with this?" and "Will anybody sue me over it?"

We`ll just have to wait then for some utopian "star trek" society where all could have easily accessible and free/cheap energy.
dudeist skydiver #42

At my last job as I mentioned earlier, I worked with construction project managers to coordinate ductile iron pipes with their construction plans. This was the largest project I was involved with - $6 million worth of pipe. Anywhere from 6" dia. up to 42" dia., most of it buried.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

At my last job as I mentioned earlier, I worked with construction project managers to coordinate ductile iron pipes with their construction plans. This was the largest project I was involved with - $6 million worth of pipe. Anywhere from 6" dia. up to 42" dia., most of it buried.

I am an Operations Program Manager and that includes being a lab manager and senior systems engineer. I get to ensure that hundreds of servers in 6 different data centers worldwide for our group stay working. So far this year I have spent about $1.2 million buying new web, file servers and SQL servers to make all of this stuff work. I REALLLLY like the shopping part of my job!!!!!:ph34r:

Interventional Radiology Tech. ... basically I just set up sterile fields and take pictures for Docs so they can do thier jobs (driving catheters into peoples vessels to fix problems like blood clots and stenosis ect.)
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

Network Administrator for a large financial company. I'm the person that sets up your network account when you get hired...terms it when you get fired...and then prevents you from going places you aren't supposed to be on the network. And some network load balancing when I'm not doing the previous two.

We sell Ergonomic equipment.

What is "ergonomic equipment"?
Left-handed tractors?

1. (used with a sing. verb) The applied science of equipment design, as for the workplace, intended to maximize productivity by reducing operator fatigue and discomfort. Also called biotechnology, human engineering, human factors engineering.
2. (used with a pl. verb) Design factors, as for the workplace, intended to maximize productivity by minimizing operator fatigue and discomfort

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

my turbo chargers assholes.

They don't have standard exhaust outlets? There's your problem right there.
I have 10, 12, 16" pipe. The stupid fuckers can't even unbolt 2> 1/2 inch screws to the hp jet air assit. fukin morons

You missed my exceedingly bad joke.
Was bad. Why I didn't comment.;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I do a number of things:
1. my real jobby: I jab needles into people all day long and make them feel better.
2. I talk mommies through their labor and provide them with "alternative" solutions for epidurals, C-sections, episiotomies, etc.
3. I am a consultant for Slumber Parties, where I sell sexy things and "bedroom enhancers". B|B|B| That's my most exciting job.
4. I wait tables at a local Tijuana Flats just to pass the time.
;)

So. Give up the worst things you've heard during a delivery? My last wife. "I hate you fucking bastard. You did this to me" All the while I was saying" I love you honey" [:/]

>Couple of thousand Watts for households, more to replace regular
>power lines...

From pole to house is not too hard, from central distribution to homes is a lot harder - because then you'd be talking megawatts.

Honestly, the biggest problem you're going to see is public acceptance. Here's how it will go:

1) High frequency resonant power transmission system is designed and tested for SAR (safety) and FCC compliance. It passes.

2) Test systems are set up and work well.

3) Someone has a remote control car whose receiver uses the same frequency as the power transmitter, and they drive it across their roof through the beam. It gets blown up.

4) Irate owner lobbies the FCC to require warning label on transmitter.,

5) Next set of test systems are set up with "Warning - radiation hazard" on the transmitters.

6) Articles are written on "do you want a radiation hazard pointed at your child's bedroom? Do you want him playing in the radiation?"

7) At one of the test sites, several smokers get lung cancer.

8) The lawsuits begin.

Ain't gonna happen in the near future. Feds just gave up 1.3 billion fot the whopping 392 mw solar plant in SoCal more coming and still building gas fired plants everywhere a few new nukes coming in the east shortly. still need all them damed power lines they are building too

As of Thursday, this guy is my job.

At least until I decide to quit burning up sick, vacation and holiday time and go back to my "real" job.

Cute! This is mine. I took nearly a month off from the dz and my business when he was born in October. Today he is really sick. We had to take him to the doctor.

Wow that is a CUTE picture!!!

Hope he is feeling better very soon:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I have enjoyed reading this thread more than any other I can remember in a long time!

the brain power of skydivers is awesome!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Oh, okay, I'll make it fit. I'm an abortion doctor for lesbian married couples who carry concealed firearms.

I know I probably shouldnt laugh at this, but its just too funny:D:D

Im an overseas contractor... at least I think so. Been doing it since 2004. 4 contracts in the AOR. Not very proud of it, but it is what I do for a living. Aircraft ground handling; Towing, refueling, launch and recovery, and obviously plenty of downtime to indulge in these forums!

P.S. Jclalor, your a much bigger man than I. I hope your rewarded richly for your merciful efforts. sincere gratitude... for what its worth.
"We didn't start the fire"