Andy9o8

Religious Beliefs are Caused by Brain Defects

Made you look! :P

Actually, it's an interesting study that is part of the ongoing scientific conversation over whether the presence or absence of religious beliefs has a correlation to scientifically-measurable factors, such as the neurophysiology of the brain, etc.

http://trueslant.com/ryansager/2010/02/11/a-hole-in-your-head/

Excerpt:

A Holy Hole in Your Head?

Ever suspected that religious people have a part of their brain missing? Well, here’s a new study that will let you take a cheap (and reasonably accurate) shot at the God-fearing…

While the popular notion of a search for the “God spot” is a bit silly — particular “spots” don’t really control the entirety of our various behaviors or beliefs — the idea that there’s a physical, biological, even neuroanatomical and genetic basis for religious belief seems increasingly likely. Religious thinking has been tied to various brain regions before, but a new study (abstract) moves things a big step forward. By measuring indicators of religiosity in brain-cancer patients before and after surgery to remove their tumors, a team of researchers in Italy has found that damage to a specific region of the brain (the posterior parietal cortex) can increase a person’s feelings of “self-transcendence,” or the feeling of being connected to others and to the universe.

Actually, it's an interesting study that is part of the ongoing scientific conversation over whether the presence or absence of religious beliefs has a correlation to scientifically-measurable factors, such as the neurophysiology of the brain, etc.

Excerpt:

Ever suspected that religious people have a part of their brain missing? Well, here’s a new study that will let you take a cheap (and reasonably accurate) shot at the God-fearing…

While the popular notion of a search for the “God spot” is a bit silly — particular “spots” don’t really control the entirety of our various behaviors or beliefs — the idea that there’s a physical, biological, even neuroanatomical and genetic basis for religious belief seems increasingly likely. Religious thinking has been tied to various brain regions before, but a new study (abstract) moves things a big step forward. By measuring indicators of religiosity in brain-cancer patients before and after surgery to remove their tumors, a team of researchers in Italy has found that damage to a specific region of the brain (the posterior parietal cortex) can increase a person’s feelings of “self-transcendence,” or the feeling of being connected to others and to the universe.

Would seem consistent with the observation that many substance abusers who scrambled their brains with chemicals subsequently become very religious.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Came across some findings not too long ago from the gene mapping project that showed people are gentically predisposed to being more or less spiritual.

Don't remember it tieing to injuries or substance abuse, but do have a couple friends that went down the path of extreme belief changes after bottoming out with an addiction or suffering sever head trauma.

Interesting link.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Oh, you're good. I've been bagged.

Another good article. Thanks.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Excerpt:

Bravo!! Well done:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Would seem consistent with the observation that many substance abusers who scrambled their brains with chemicals subsequently become very religious.

I would think you mix cause with recovery effects.

12 step programs tend to be popular and bias toward religiosity.

Seems organized religion has 1 of 2 players in the game:

1 - give em credit view - they really want to help people, so they are front line to those with problems needing help

2 - cynic view - those needing help are, as a result of their addiction, more prone to brainwashing

I suspect both are true, but the 1st predominant

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Seems organized religion has 1 of 2 players in the game:

1 - give em credit view - they really want to help people, so they are front line to those with problems needing help

2 - cynic view - those needing help are, as a result of their addiction, more prone to brainwashing

I suspect both are true, but the 1st predominant

Sometimes it is hard to distinguish whether they "really want to help people" or whether they really want to increase their numbers. (Perhaps a bit of both?) And what better way to increase their numbers than to prey on the vulnerable and desperate? It probably doesn't work too well to go up to someone who is leading a perfectly happy and normal life and say, "Hey, your life would be so much better if you would simply follow my religion." (Not saying that this doesn't actually help some people in the process; I'm sure it does. But the motivation is not always clear.)

Call me cynical, but . . . Well, OK, just call me cynical. :P

in other words, people are just people, religion is a pretty minor thing in differentiating who has what kind of character - no more than so than any one thing can really define someone over their sum total of experience does

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Regarding the OP, I think that everything about an individual's character has a "physical, biological, even neuroanatomical and genetic basis" (or something like that). But as to which of our traits are "defects," well, that seems largely subjective.

Regarding the OP, I think that everything about an individual's character has a "physical, biological, even neuroanatomical and genetic basis" (or something like that). But as to which of our traits are "defects," well, that seems largely subjective.

Anything that makes a person believe in invisible omnipotent omniscient omnipresent beings for which there is no evidence of existence should be considered a defect, IMHO.

Anything that makes a person believe in invisible omnipotent omniscient omnipresent beings for which there is no evidence of existence should be considered a defect, IMHO.

I have 18 years of living for myself and 36 years living with a personal intimate God. There is no way in hell I would loose what I have found. Some of these post are funny, you can speculate, analyze and ridicule all you want but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

I will never be able to understand people who praise God for the miracle of saving a child from the flooding caused by a tsunami....while forgetting the 250,000 he didn't save.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

seems like a good place for the 'why beer is better than jesus' list... :P

but honestly it seems rather obvious... a great number of religious experiences can and have been 'induced' and replicated and infact the extreme religious seekers create conditions that encourage such experiences.

psychotropic substance use
hypothermia
hypoxia
dehydration
starvation
isolation
sleep deprivation etc...

have all been part and parcel in one way or another of nearly every 'devout' religious order's 'extreme ' devotees for centuries. The fact that these same experiences can be induced does nothing to lessen the devotion of those who believe ...

pretty much evidence that man would rather believe the 'pretty lie' than the 'ugly truth' if it makes him FEEL better about his place in the world.

substance use
hypothermia
hypoxia

etc.

And tumours or other brain problems may let people experience visions, which in a religious environment can be seen as being religious in nature.

As for an earlier quote by Kallend:

Anything that makes a person believe in invisible omnipotent omniscient omnipresent beings for which there is no evidence of existence should be considered a defect,

Don't forget "omnivorous", according to Homer Simpson.

Only if that belief doesn't benefit them. Given that their are definite, material benefits to be had (especially in American society) if you express your belief in one of those invisible sky fairy thingies, it's not really a defect.
Now if you'd like to argue that this demonstrates a defect in our society, you'll get no argument from me.

I have 18 years of living for myself and 36 years living with a personal intimate God. There is no way in hell I would loose (sic) what I have found. Some of these post are funny, you can speculate, analyze and ridicule all you want but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

He has every idea about what he's talking about. He just has no idea what you're talking about.

seems like a good place for the 'why beer is better than jesus' list... :P

but honestly it seems rather obvious... a great number of religious experiences can and have been 'induced' and replicated and infact the extreme religious seekers create conditions that encourage such experiences.

hypothermia
hypoxia
dehydration
starvation
isolation
sleep deprivation
etc...

have all been part and parcel in one way or another of nearly every 'devout' religious order's 'extreme ' devotees for centuries. The fact that these same experiences can be induced does nothing to lessen the devotion of those who believe ...

pretty much evidence that man would rather believe the 'pretty lie' than the 'ugly truth' if it makes him FEEL better about his place in the world.

Wow you just described the Church of the Holy SERE School;)

hypothermia
hypoxia
dehydration
starvation
isolation
sleep deprivation
etc...

Wow you just described the Church of the Holy SERE School;)

The students or the instructors? :P:D;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Finally another religious thread! This will make amazon happy. While I was busy shooting heroin and banging my head against an engine block (of course trying to get more transcendent) I had a feeling there may be another decent discussion on DZ.com! I was right!

Do you honestly think I could resist this one?

Seriously though. I will need to think more on this. My second thought was to ask if the consensus is that the apostles and Jesus were all substance abusers or brain cancer patients. My first thought was to just send a laughing emoticon. A brain defect? aw the hell with it...:D

"We didn't start the fire"

Finally another religious thread! This will make amazon happy. While I was busy shooting heroin and banging my head against an engine block (of course trying to get more transcendent) I had a feeling there may be another decent discussion on DZ.com! I was right!

Do you honestly think I could resist this one?

Seriously though. I will need to think more on this. My second thought was to ask if the consensus is that the apostles and Jesus were all substance abusers or brain cancer patients. My first thought was to just send a laughing emoticon. A brain defect? aw the hell with it...:D

no they are mythical characters in a book.
Born ok 1st time.

Anything that makes a person believe in invisible omnipotent omniscient omnipresent beings for which there is no evidence of existence that I accept should be considered a defect, IMHO.

There fixed it for you.

Anything that makes a person believe in invisible omnipotent omniscient omnipresent beings for which there is no objective, reproducible and measurable evidence of existence should be considered a defect, IMHO.

There fixed it for you.

Thanks, but I've fixed your typo.