Andy9o8

Is it Ethical to Vacation in Haiti So Soon After the Quake?

Here's a story that caught my eye, so I thought I'd run it by the herd. It deals with the ethical dilemma faced by people vacationing in Haiti while it's still reeling from the immediate effects of the quake, as well as the question of whether Royal Caribbean Lines is behaving ethically in continuing its vacation cruises to Haiti (rather than suspending them for a while). It seems the article does try to give a balanced treatment of the issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/01/21/haiti.tourism.ethics/index.html?hpt=C1

Here's a story that caught my eye, so I thought I'd run it by the herd. It deals with the ethical dilemma faced by people vacationing in Haiti while it's still reeling from the immediate effects of the quake, as well as the question of whether Royal Caribbean Lines is behaving ethically in continuing its vacation cruises to Haiti (rather than suspending them for a while).

I think it sucks donkey balls. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've been to Haiti, not sure why anybody would want to vacation there, earthquake or not.

This is why, quoted from that article:

Royal Caribbean deposits the tourists on the picturesque peninsula of Labadee, which was unaffected by the disaster and where the company has spent millions of dollars on what it calls its own "private paradise."

The area is heavily guarded, and visitors don't spend the night. But they enjoy Labadee's "pristine beaches, breathtaking scenery and spectacular water activities," according to Royal Caribbean's Web site.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Catherine Jones recently booked a Royal Caribbean cruise that included a stop in Haiti, she never expected that her vacation would lead to deep soul searching

Catherine Jones is a stupid tool.

This is all about emotional reaction vs what's really practical and helpful.

Absolutely ethical to continue your vacation there. It brings in money to local business, that helps their economy in a much better way than simple charity would. Likely those vacationers will spend more while there than they would donate.

Why on earth would you take a culture shocked by a natural disaster, and then kick one of the main economic underpinnings (what little they have) out from under them?

analogy - Your hourse burns down. Is it ethical for your employer to then fire you - for your own good?

Some people just aren't happy unless 6 Billion other people also sit around outraged and depressed all the time over various tragedies.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Labadee contributes little or nothing to the Haitian economy other than the local vendors who hawk their wears.

I thought it was in poor taste to show up with your big ship full of food, water, and alcohol until things straighten up.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

This came up after the tsunami wrecked destruction along the beaches of Thailand (and elsewhere). It's also applicable to just about every place that gets hit dead center by hurricanes.

In short, these areas rely on tourism and it's really hard to recover from these events if no one is coming.

Labadee contributes little or nothing to the Haitian economy other than the local vendors who hawk their wears.

I thought it was in poor taste to show up with your big ship full of food, water, and alcohol until things straighten up.

Yes, the emotional response in full force.

I see - it's in better "taste", then, (if I understand your comment), to let the local vendors starve "equally" with the rest of the nation. That way they all have to rely on charity rather than make their own living.

I stand corrected. I am now leaving work and plan to spend the rest of the day sitting outside in the snow and feeling bad. It's in good taste and helps the economy better than working for a living.

edit: sorry about that, I'm just feeling sarcastic today

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So where do you draw the line? Is it ok if I vacation in the Dominican Republic just across the border? Would I need to be 3 miles off shore?

I think the question isn't so much where, but whether or not it's "ethical" to ever vacation anywhere ever as long as there is suffering in the world? The hard answer is yes; that's how people support themselves. It's an economy and jobs issue.

What you don't want to promote is tragedy tourism. People flying into Mumbai to gawk at the slums from Slumdog Millionaire for example.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Catherine Jones recently booked a Royal Caribbean cruise that included a stop in Haiti, she never expected that her vacation would lead to deep soul searching

Catherine Jones is a stupid tool.

This is all about emotional reaction vs what's really practical and helpful.

Absolutely ethical to continue your vacation there. It brings in money to local business, that helps their economy in a much better way than simple charity would. Likely those vacationers will spend more while there than they would donate.

Why on earth would you take a culture shocked by a natural disaster, and then kick one of the main economic underpinnings (what little they have) out from under them?

analogy - Your hourse burns down. Is it ethical for your employer to then fire you - for your own good?

Some people just aren't happy unless 6 Billion other people also sit around outraged and depressed all the time over various tragedies.

+1 Couldnt agree more!
Plus

The company's cruise ships are also delivering supplies -- including rice, dried beans, powdered milk, water and canned goods -- to the region.

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Here's a story that caught my eye, so I thought I'd run it by the herd. It deals with the ethical dilemma faced by people vacationing in Haiti while it's still reeling from the immediate effects of the quake, as well as the question of whether Royal Caribbean Lines is behaving ethically in continuing its vacation cruises to Haiti (rather than suspending them for a while). It seems the article does try to give a balanced treatment of the issue.

I'm just thinking, will this not result in additional suffering? Hey we just what to insure we are being sensitive to your pain, and therefore will suspend any future visits to your island with our vacation dollars.

This tragic earthquate took your lives, we will take your lively hood.

Haiti, needs to be rebuilt for sure, what better way to get back to life, than getting back to work.

Just heard about this on Boortz this morning (yes, I love him).

So silly--no different than those criticizing the wealthy in the U.S. for making big purchases rather than being sensitive to those who cannot afford to spend right now. :S

Having said that, I do not know how much fun and/or relaxing I could have in Haiti right now. [:/]

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.