Hooknswoop

What if?

>I don't recall a big die off happening after 1883.

Well, around 120,000 people died in the eruption, and it cooled the planet by about 2F and darkened the skies for almost ten years. It wouldn't take much more than that to severely disrupt agriculture. (Plants need light and even 2F seriously impacts the growing season.)

I don't recall a big die off happening after 1883. Nor after Pompei or Mt St. Helens. Has there ever been a planet changing eruption?

When it happens, I'll take my arsenal and head for the Mormon temple. They're taught to keep rather large stocks of food and if they're as good as my grandmother at doing so, I'll be set for some time.

Yes. Yellowstone. Three times in the past couple million years.

The last one, 640,000 years ago put out 8000 times as much ash and dust as Mt St Helens in 1980. They've found fossils in Nebraska that had strong indications that the deaths were caused by the volcano.

It would be very bad if it blew again. Discovery did a show on it about a year ago. Discovery Channel

If you read the link to page three, they talk about Toba, Indonesia 74,000 years ago. Global cooling (nuclear winter scenario) nearly killed off early humans.

Tambora, Indonesia probably caused the "Year without a Spring" in 1816. Lots of starvation due to crop failures because of the cold. Snow in July in New England (in the US).

We haven't seen an eruption like it since. Fortunately they are pretty rare, and give a fair amount of warning.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

OK, random “what if?” thought:

What if the US government knew that there would be a major earth ‘event’ in the next 4-6 years? How would they prepare?

Derek V

Probably wouldn't.... you dont really expectthe government to protect you.. where is your personal responsibility:D:ph34r:

My... I think a very sturdy boat in very deep water is the perfect way to survive.. :)

Probably wouldn't.... you dont really expectthe government to protect you.. where is your personal responsibility:D:ph34r:

My... I think a very sturdy boat in very deep water is the perfect way to survive.. :)

Under no circumstances would I think the government could protect you from a planetary disaster. Oh, they might be able to do some bullshit continuity of government crap and try to protect themselves, but it's not even vaguely logical to assume the government could protect all of the people from the types of things we're talking about in this thread.

I think the more interesting real question would be; if they thought they could keep it a secret, would they?

That becomes a matter of panic and refugee control, sort of like what "they" are currently doing with Haiti in not allowing anyone to leave the island.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

the US government does not need to "prepare".....

They need to help the PEOPLE prepare as best they can - "Promote the well-being etc"

But sure as shit, if a major event happens and 100,000 people died, then the government would be to blame somehow because THEY failed to prepare- regardless of what they may have been doing for the past 20 years.

But if 100,000 people die due to lack of health care, "It's NOT the governments place to provide health care for those people"

I think major catastrophic events need to be prepared for, but there are limits to what we can do.

No one can prepare for a 8.5 earthquake on the west coast. hundreds of thousands will probably die.

BUT, we will certainly be better prepared that every other country on earth for such an event. We have resources and food, the ability to rebuild, the manpower, raw materials and the will to do it.

We might have to end a war in the middle east to bring the troops home to work on that and it would actually unify the country.

Of course once the dust settles, then the blame starts to set in. No one is to 'blame' for an earthquake.

Probably, get the underground bunkers finished in time. Like the one under Cheyenne Mt. and others located in various places in this country. Allowing only strategic political figures and the filthy rich.

Chuck

It ties in with the massive underground bunker system beneath the Denver International Airport 120 miles away. Construction work continues as we speak. Ahh, so I hear.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

the US government does not need to "prepare".....

They need to help the PEOPLE prepare as best they can - "Promote the well-being etc"

But sure as shit, if a major event happens and 100,000 people died, then the government would be to blame somehow because THEY failed to prepare- regardless of what they may have been doing for the past 20 years.

But if 100,000 people die due to lack of health care, "It's NOT the governments place to provide health care for those people"

I think major catastrophic events need to be prepared for, but there are limits to what we can do.

No one can prepare for a 8.5 earthquake on the west coast. hundreds of thousands will probably die.

BUT, we will certainly be better prepared that every other country on earth for such an event. We have resources and food, the ability to rebuild, the manpower, raw materials and the will to do it.

We might have to end a war in the middle east to bring the troops home to work on that and it would actually unify the country.

Of course once the dust settles, then the blame starts to set in. No one is to 'blame' for an earthquake.

A perfect example of DZ environmental awareness.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Probably, get the underground bunkers finished in time. Like the one under Cheyenne Mt. and others located in various places in this country. Allowing only strategic political figures and the filthy rich.

Chuck

It ties in with the massive underground bunker system beneath the Denver International Airport 120 miles away. Construction work continues as we speak. Ahh, so I hear.

Funny, you should mention that! I just saw a story on t.v. about that. They talked about expected world disasters in 2012. Other places were mentioned but the only video they showed was in regard to Cheyenne Mountain and Denver International and the forms for underground tunnels and construction machinery in use. They showed some large murals inside the airport that were really disturbing. The murals showed dead people and 'doomsday' themed paintings on the walls of the airport. Hmmmm...

Chuck

Funny, you should mention that! I just saw a story on t.v. about that. They talked about expected world disasters in 2012. Other places were mentioned but the only video they showed was in regard to Cheyenne Mountain and Denver International and the forms for underground tunnels and construction machinery in use. They showed some large murals inside the airport that were really disturbing. The murals showed dead people and 'doomsday' themed paintings on the walls of the airport. Hmmmm...

Chuck

Here is a follow-up link of associated interest.

http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2010/cbarchive_20100115.html

2) Why do hypothetical meteors, floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, pestilences of Biblical proportions and escaped monsters always seem to occur close to LA? Why not Bugscuffle, TN or Boring, OR?

I dunno man! I didn't make the graphic, but if you consider the line as a bell curve . . . whammo . . . LA is toast (if it ever actually happens).

The 1908 meteorite that hit Tunguska Siberia was probably using a beta version of mapquest. :)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

they would probably find the nearest deep cave, and go hide t....... they would come out and preach about how they saved everyone to try to win votes.

Can you tell I'm jaded? ;)

no, seems like a realistic projection

but how will they raise taxes on us while in the cave? It ok, they'd find a way

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Chuck

Here is a follow-up link of associated interest.

http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2010/cbarchive_20100115.html

That where I saw it. I'm not going to sit here and say that I believe every word but then too, why should I believe everything politicians say.
? I found the show interesting and entertaining. Will any of us ever know the truth? I don't think so.

Chuck

That's why they'd invite their rich friends to cozy up with them in the cave. Lord knows the poor people can't afford taxes now, so there's no way they could pay them after a cataclysm.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

That's why they'd invite their rich friends to cozy up with them in the cave. Lord knows the poor people can't afford taxes now, so there's no way they could pay them after a cataclysm.

Look at the bright side, there won't be any poor people sucking up all your heath care, but don't complain when you have to bury them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver