mnealtx

Edward "Ted" Kennedy, RIP

In his honor, let us continue to pursue "The Cause Of His Life":
http://www.newsweek.com/id/207406
and "end the disgrace of America as the only major industrialized nation in the world that doesn't guarantee health care for all of its people."

My goodwill and condolences stop when my wallet gets pawed at. Still, RIP.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

Breaking news - succumbed to cancer.

While I didn't like the man, nor agreed with his political views, I hope his passing was as fast and painless as possible given his condition.

My sentiments as well. As with Cronkite, maybe someone can make better use of his oxygen now.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

and "end the disgrace of America as the only major industrialized nation in the world that doesn't guarantee health care for all of its people."

Yes, yes. How fitting that we should take this opportunity to PLUNGE further into bankruptcy.
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

Yes, yes. How fitting that we should take this opportunity to PLUNGE further into bankruptcy.

what's bankrupting you is healthcare costs that are twice those of other western nations :)
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Well, at least he can have drinks on the "other side" with Mary Jo Kopechne..... although she might be choking or slapping him right about now.

Yep! It's amazing how he and members of his family, (Dad's wealth from illegal rum running) seem to create a public that idolizes them. Ted never maned up to the death of Mary Jo.
Dano

As a politician, I thought guys like Wellstone were sincere, if just wrong on political issues. Ted I didn't trust his motivations at all even if he towed the same lines, it wasn't for the good of the people, rather for the good of his incumbancy. RIPGR

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Love him or hate him, he was instrumental in shaping American politics as it exists today:

Kennedy played a major role in passing many pieces of legislation that have affected the lives of all Americans, including the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, the National Cancer Act of 1971, the Federal Election Campaign Act Amendments of 1974, the COBRA Act of 1985, the Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act of 1986, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Ryan White AIDS Care Act in 1990, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, the Mental Health Parity Act in 1996 and 2008, the State Children's Health Insurance Program in 1997, the No Child Left Behind Act in 2002, and the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act in 2009.

Personally, I agreed with most of his politics, but thought his personal life was suspect. Being a good liberal, I didn't care that much about his personal life.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Personally, I agreed with most of his politics, but thought his personal life was suspect. Being a good liberal, I didn't care that much about his personal life.

I totally agree. Why would you want men of character making laws that confiscate our wealth in order to further the cause of forced morality?

I totally agree. Why would you want men of character making laws that confiscate our wealth in order to further the cause of forced morality?

that would be "forced morality as perceived by subjective special interest groups"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's a shame that Ted Kennedy wasn't able to take a vigorous part in the debate this summer. If he had, some real legislation might have already been passed.

Whether you like him or not, Ted Kennedy had a greater lasting effect on our country than his brothers combined. As for Mary Jo Kopechne, that's being judged now by the only one with the right to judge, so just let it go.

I'm bummed at his passing.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

that would be "forced morality as perceived by subjective special interest groups"

I'm not a special interest group. Just little ole me. So if you're going to redistribute my wealth at the pointy end of a gun, it would be slightly less irritating if you're not a womanizing drunk who laments the situation of "millions of Americans with no access to health care" and yet when he had a chance to personally influence the outcome of one person's health - wouldn't even call for an ambulance/rescue when this "young lady friend" ended up in the floorboard clinging to the last bit of air that could sustain her. But what did he do? He bypassed four houses, went back to the cottage where 11 friends were still partying, informed only two (who happened to be lawyers and therefore subject to attorney client privilege) - they didn't call rescue either, he ended up back at his hotel, made 17 phone calls to friends and family, but none to rescue. This chap was not a champion of the people, but a staunch defender of his own power and career, as the events of July 1969 so poignantly illustrate.

If one goes back and reads again the Mary Jo story... it is incredible !!!! ( that someone got away with it........ Teddy even blocked the MANDATORY AUTOPSY required for ALL accidental deaths in MA. ) Some say the Mary Jo's folks 'settled' for money......... I cannot imagine that I would do the same........ I just cant. Money is not everything for me.
The incident likely stopped Ted from being pres.

I think it's rare these days for any politician to go through their entire lives scandal-free or clean of ethic violations, etc. Everybody, or damn near, have got a skeleton in their closets.

Ted was a one of a kind, and served nearly half a century in the senate. 2500+ bills signed in law that he introduced, whether good or bad, that's a lot!

RIP and condolences to the clan. Was he the last of his siblings to die?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Why would you want men of character making laws that confiscate our wealth in order to further the cause of forced morality?

I never voted for Bush (who funded a 3-trillion dollar war with my money for his own forced morality).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Why would you want men of character making laws that confiscate our wealth in order to further the cause of forced morality?

I never voted for Bush (who funded a 3-trillion dollar war with my money for his own forced morality).

Being a character doesn't mean one has character.

As for Mr. Kennedy, most people have their positive traits and their flaws, and he appeared to be no exception. I suspect there will be many people who will miss him, and many others who will be glad he's gone. I doubt I'll find ever find myself in either group.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)