SkydiveJack

Need Shotgun Advice

BTW did the military teach you to walk around racking the shotgun in order to scare bad guys?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

NO they did not.

+1

I can definitely tell you that it is taught in the Navy that the "racking the shotgun" myth is pure Hollywood. I've been taught by retired Sheriff's Department, city police, and SWAT members (provided by the Navy Training) and they all say the same. From a personal experience, I can tell you that my screen door sounds exactly like a racking shotgun. Plus people "rack" differently. The slow types, you hear two distinctive "chink, chink" sound. Others you hear a quick "sshink" that sounds a lot different.

Don't know nothing about hollywood or what the cops think about the "racking ther slide myth" The military and police are dealing in a different enviroment than joe/mary home owner.

If I heard a slide rack I would shit my pants.

Distinctive "chink, chink" sound:D:D Once we were riding a bus through the hood and closed the latch's on our lunch box "Chink chink". The bro sitting in front of us must have heard that noise jumped up and gave us rhe look.:o
One Jump Wonder

I respectfully disagree with this opinion based on its proposed premise. If the plan is for her to never shoot it, something is horribly wrong. My recommendation was to ensure she shoots regularly. That obviates the stated premise.

PLEASE get the lady something she will want to practice with. Anything else is reckless.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Here you go:

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

Like I said, there are companies that make an aftermarket AR style adjustable stock for the M4 with hydraulic recoil buffers. Eitherway, I've seen some very small women handle this weapon with ease! Its very easy to add an optic, especially an "always on" reflex for home defense. Its also very easy to add a light. Light, in home defense, is paramount since its typically dark and you want to identify your target before tossing some 00 buck down range.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Like I said, there are companies that make an aftermarket AR style adjustable stock for the M4 with hydraulic recoil buffers.

Enidine Shot Stock.

The Bennelli super 90 is an awesome shotgun but IMHO, it's too much for what the OP needs and is considerably more expensive than even a tricked out 870, like the one I posted a picture of earlier.

I own a 870 with an Endine butt stock. The endine stock is a pretty good piece of gear that works but it too is spendy and probably not needed on a 20g. A youth or cut down buttstock with pistol grip and limb saver buttstock pad will make it easier for a smaller person.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I would agree with you, I'd rather have an 870, but the OP wanted an automatic shotgun.

I know, I threw the 11-87 model out there back in the beginning along with the 870. Either one, modified for a HD role would be cheaper than a Super 90 especially if you picked up a used one. Youth models are fairly low cost brand new so it should be easy to build a fairly trick gun and keep it low dollar.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The military and police are dealing in a different enviroment than joe/mary home owner.

The police definitely deal with the same environment as joe/mary home owner. They are the ones who respond. And both military and police are home owners too.

:DBut I definitely not taking a lunchbox to the shipyards here. "combat tuna" is definitely not my
idea for dinner-and-a-show theme.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The police definitely deal with the same environment as joe/mary home owner.

Yes and no.

Traditional police roles have changed over the last 20 years and significantly over the last 10 years. Now the po-po have to respond to active shooter scenarios, train for terrorist response and be ready to take down a car 4-deep with well armed bangers. All of this while not looking too well armed or too tactical because it will scare the general public and they don't want to believe that anything is wrong in society. So when police start wearing chest rigs with M4s and training for the worst that they'll see, the public freaks out and city management tells the department that they can't do those things (just happened in Maine to a department who had ALL of their ARs taken away by city council).

Planing for a home defense shotgun is different then a general purpose shotgun for all of those other roles. One where you will have do complete a building search, then train for a 2-4 main tactical movement for an active shooter, and one to reach out from a perimeter with a slug at a stand off.

For my home defense I have a shotgun setup that would not be practical or even useful for modern day patrol officers. Its a Mossberg 500 with a short barrel and no rear stock, just a pistol grip. Its easier for me to pick up while sitting/laying in bed and put lead shot down range (aka, into the doorway for the bedroom). I wouldn't want that shotgun outside of the very limited confines of my house.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I use the Benelli M1S90 Tactical for home and general use.

Surefire light forearm and sling.

I use a cheap ass uncle mikes shell holder on the stock, It works.

Ghost rings and a light are enough, Mepro Tritium front sight would be even better.

I also have a 2-7x scout scope that might be mounted to it. If I can see anything through it at short range I can hit it.

It works like a huge ghost ring or at extended range it will ensure a hit from a slug.

That scope has a very fast acquisition capability, you point and you are on.

The extremely long eye relief works wonders.

Burris makes great scout scopes, Simmons makes a good one. I have the Simmons, it holds up and has not lost it's zero no matter what I shoot out of that shotgun.

I have a short barrel on my 870. It has a front and rear sight on it for shooting slugs, but I'd most likely just point and shoot (buckshot) in a home defense scenario.

This set up also makes a dandy turkey gun. I use three inch, copper plated, 12 guage loads for that. Usually in five shot. My wife and even my daughters, have laid a lot of turkeys low with it. My oldest daughter shot her first turkey when she was ten with it. The recoil also knocked her down, but she did get that gobbler.

For pheasants and ducks I slip on a longer barrel. It's simple to do on an 870.

I have to admit shooting a three inch magnum, in 12 guage, is way to much recoil for a woman or kids. But a little twenty guage just won't reach out there as well as a 12 guage will.

My wife did kill a turkey once with her twenty guage. I called it in to less than ten feet. Turkeys are tough, and I wouldn't want to risk wounding one with too little gun. So, we usually don't use a twenty guage for a turkey gun.

A twenty guage in a youth model will fit a woman well. I like shooting one myself. They are fast and handy. Try a twenty guage in a pump. They really don't kick bad at all. Most women could shoot one a lot without trouble flinching.

An auto would definitely kick less though. I've never owned an automatic shotgun. They might be fun to have.

I know there are a lot of things you can hang on a shotgun these days. I use to have extra rounds on the stock, and even a sling when I was hunting.

Maybe this is just in my head, but it seemed like I could get on target quicker without all the extra stuff on my shotgun. So, I took it all off.

Pheasant hunting is great practice. They get up fast, and they are out of range in seconds. If you want to get more than one bird, you have to be quick on the trigger.

I've never been in a shootout or home defense situation, but I imagine the same rule would apply there....