3 Dead Pirates

I realize the US navy has a full plate of commitments but if there was a carrier in the area could F-18s not deploy in time to intercept most hijacking attempts in time to sink the pirate vessel before they capture the cargo ship?

Good question. How hard would it be to zero in on a barely moving (in relation to the F-18) and bobbing skiff with a missile? Just send an AC-130 gunship out, and with satellite imaging, locate the skiffs and rain hot metal death on them, and send the F-18s after the pirate mother ships.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I realize the US navy has a full plate of commitments but if there was a carrier in the area could F-18s not deploy in time to intercept most hijacking attempts in time to sink the pirate vessel before they capture the cargo ship?

Ya know.. I think there are a "FEW" other navies of the world that just MIGHT have a stake in this. One would think that with the diversity of the ships being affected "their" countries navies might have a stake in protecting them.

So far the French and Indian Navies seem to have been pretty successful in their encounters....

I wonder where the rest might be????? HMMMMMM

That, or just deploy a bunch of SEALs to the area and let em go a huntin'! They could use the indian ocean for live fire exercises during BUD/S training. It'd be like a big play ground for the guys in the Teams, ha ha ha! like a pit bull vs. the taco bell chihuahua
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Good question. How hard would it be to zero in on a barely moving (in relation to the F-18) and bobbing skiff with a missile? Just send an AC-130 gunship out, and with satellite imaging, locate the skiffs and rain hot metal death on them, and send the F-18s after the pirate mother ships.

This seems like more of a job for a UAV. I know they have the endurance, but less sure about their range they can be staged from. I don't believe the F-18s are at all nearby - they can't be scrambled everytime a tanker captain see some hoodies on a zodiac.

Oh, come on. Surely Diane Feinstein, Nancy Pelosi, Ted Kennedy, Chuckie Schumer, Sarah Brady and their fellow travellers can use their powers of persuasion and irrefutable logic to convince these pirates that this is what they need to do.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Haven't you been reading the news? The dolphins are protecting the good guys shipping. :D

Yup.. but I like this kind of response better.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/19/somalia-pirates

Somali bandits terrorising the busy shipping routes around the Horn of Africa suffered a rare setback when an Indian warship destroyed a pirate "mothership" after coming under fire in the Gulf of Aden.

The Indian navy said that its frigate, one of the numerous international warships dispatched to patrol the waters around the Horn of Africa, had approached a suspicious vessel yesterday evening. It turned out to be a previously captured ship being used by pirates as a base from which to launch their speedboats far out to sea.

For once, I'd been wondering the same thing for days.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

This seems like more of a job for a UAV. I know they have the endurance, but less sure about their range they can be staged from. I don't believe the F-18s are at all nearby - they can't be scrambled everytime a tanker captain see some hoodies on a zodiac.

I don't know, if they sink it, sooner or later they'll run out of zodiacs. If they don't have a good reason for buzzing around with automatic weapons, take 'em out of commission.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Isn't there a way we can allow the pirates to operate and just TAX them at like 90%?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ya know.. I think there are a "FEW" other navies of the world that just MIGHT have a stake in this. One would think that with the diversity of the ships being affected "their" countries navies might have a stake in protecting them.

So far the French and Indian Navies seem to have been pretty successful in their encounters....

There are several Navies in the area, but being close enough to prevent a capture is hit and miss. Very few countries have carriers.

The best deterrent that each ship can employ would be razor sharp barbed wire around the perimeter of their bulkheads, electrified, of course. The main thing the pirates are after are crew members to hold for ransom. Make the area where the helm of the ship is located more secure by enabling that area to be locked or otherwise inaccessible by the pirates so they can't get in and steer the ship.

Hey, if the airlines can reinforce cock-pit doors for thousands of commercial planes, I'm sure each shipping company can spring a few bucks for cheap barbed wire. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The best deterrent that each ship can employ would be razor sharp barbed wire around the perimeter of their

I think every crewman should be issued and (trained with), AK-47 and a sidearm.
Then add claymores mounted on the gunwales.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The best deterrent that each ship can employ would be razor sharp barbed wire around the perimeter of their

I think every crewman should be issued and (trained with), AK-47 and a sidearm.
Then add claymores mounted on the gunwales.>:(

I agree. :D However, the shipping company won't arm their crews due to liability issues. Fucking pansies... These are armed pirates! Hello??? :S

I agree. :D However, the shipping company won't arm their crews due to liability issues. Fucking pansies... These are armed pirates! Hello??? :S

Maybe if the shipping companies were held liable for knowingly sending employees into danger with no defense, they might reconsider.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>Surely Diane Feinstein, Nancy Pelosi, Ted Kennedy, Chuckie Schumer,
>Sarah Brady and their fellow travellers can use their powers of persuasion
>and irrefutable logic to convince these pirates that this is what they need
>to do.

I still think a rain of hot teabag death on them is going to be far more effective. Why use weapons when you can use the irresistible power of teabags?

Maybe if the shipping companies were held liable for knowingly sending employees into danger with no defense, they might reconsider.

i believe its against international law to have armed commercial ships, although there's no reason that we can't have seal teams sneak onboard american flagged vessels before they get to the danger area and then sneak back off once they are out of danger.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

The airlines seem to have been able to work the issue of trained and armed airline pilots bringing firearms into other countries so why not shipping companies doing likewise?
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

i believe its against international law to have armed commercial ships...

Really? I hadn't heard that. I thought the big issue was local laws prohibiting them from pulling into port with weapons on board.

I have never heard this. When I worked offshore their was a high powered rifle on the bridge (for polar bears). I am sure a Port Captain's lock on the weapons locker would be suffice in most if not all ports.

i believe its against international law to have armed commercial ships...

Really? I hadn't heard that. I thought the big issue was local laws prohibiting them from pulling into port with weapons on board.

i had heard a news snippet that stated this, but upon a little googling i can't find anything to back that up, so i stand corrected. that being the case, we should be putting security teams on american flagged vessels and destroying anyone that coming too close. these pirates are there to make money, not to fight a war or push a political cause. if the only thing that is accomplished by attacking an american ship is pirate death, then eventually they will leave us alone.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

i believe its against international law to have armed commercial ships, although there's no reason that we can't have seal teams sneak onboard american flagged vessels before they get to the danger area and then sneak back off once they are out of danger.

This is correct. I was reading about it some time back. It has to do with a gray area between military ships, and civilian ships. For example in time of war, would a cargo ship really be a non-combatant if it had some form of armament?

I'll do some googling later on this evening to see what I can find for links.

'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.
They're not dead.... they're resting

Look, matey, I know a dead pirate parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at 3 right now.

ROTFLMAO!!!:D

This seems like more of a job for a UAV. I know they have the endurance, but less sure about their range they can be staged from.

Proposed response to piracy that I heard today: deploy tens of thousands of autonomous, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and unmanned sea vehicles (USVs), some of which can be armed.

I don't know the ratio legitimate Somali fishermen to pirates, suspect there are A LOT more fisherman than pirates. That is one common modus operandi the priates have used, however. Armed autonomous UAVs & USVs - bad idea.

The suggestion was made by the President of Robotic Technology Inc, who’s currently working on a DARPA-funded project to develop a robot that obtains energy by foraging in the natural world (EATR).

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying