3 Dead Pirates

Now King Obama has to deal with the consequences:

Abdullahi Lami, one of the pirates holding the Greek ship anchored in the Somali town of Gaan, said: "Every country will be treated the way it treats us. In the future, America will be the one mourning and crying," he told The Associated Press. "We will retaliate (for) the killings of our men."

Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old self-proclaimed pirate, told the AP from one of Somalia's piracy hubs, Eyl, that: "From now on, if we capture foreign ships and their respective countries try to attack us, we will kill them (the hostages)."

"Now they became our number one enemy," Habeb said of U.S. forces.
Obama is about to get a real-life lesson in terrorism, that doesn't play well to his teleprompter.

Really? I see that a little differently.

Somalia has no government and the pirates quoted just signed their own death warrants. There is NO down side to killing the pirates.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Latest details on the web are that it was a SEAL operation that had President Obama's personal approval (for all you Obama haters out there...)

See this story for details:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090413/ap_on_re_af/piracy

The "lifeboat" was under tow behind the Navy ship at the time, so the distance couldn't have been that great. One pirate was aboard for negotiations. The other three were shot by SEALS from the fantail of the Navy tow boat. Excellent job!

Now King Obama has to deal with the consequences:
Abdullahi Lami, one of the pirates holding the Greek ship anchored in the Somali town of Gaan, said: "Every country will be treated the way it treats us. In the future, America will be the one mourning and crying," he told The Associated Press. "We will retaliate (for) the killings of our men."

Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old self-proclaimed pirate, told the AP from one of Somalia's piracy hubs, Eyl, that: "From now on, if we capture foreign ships and their respective countries try to attack us, we will kill them (the hostages)."

"Now they became our number one enemy," Habeb said of U.S. forces.
Obama is about to get a real-life lesson in terrorism, that doesn't play well to his teleprompter.

Wow, he just authorized force that probably saved a US Citizen from being killed by a bunch of pirates and you still give him shit.

You have some real hate issues with him. You really are going to spend most of the next 8 years angry.

Somalia has no government and the pirates quoted just signed their own death warrants.

I have been thinking the same thing all day.

There are people all over the world who discovered
that it is poor judgment to make statements like
that and identify yourself.

This isn't the 1700s. The next time that they use
their cell phone, a Predator can help them hang up.

I think this loudmouth signed himself up to be the "bad example".
Spanking a few of them with 1000 lb bombs could
work out to be quite effective as a deterrent.
(Or we could run out of pirates after a while.
Either way, problem solved.)

Glad to see that Obama is ok with letting the armed forces do their job.

Wow, he just authorized force that probably saved a US Citizen from being killed by a bunch of pirates and you still give him shit.

You must have missed the part where I said "excellent job".

I wasn't giving him shit - I was pointing out how all his talk of appeasement and pacifism doesn't mean crap to terrorists. It didn't stop pirates from attacking an American ship. He was elected to de-escalate America's warfare and bring troops home, and now he's authorizing actions that will get us involved in another war in Somalia. I just find that a little funny, like promising to be fiscally responsible and then quadrupling the national debt. Like promising to bring the troops home, and then ordering a surge in Afghanistan. Every one of these and other actions he's taking are just like those that Bush or McCain would have taken. And the liberals, while hating it when it's done by Republicans, are falling all over themselves in joy when Obama does it. I don't hate him. I'm enjoying the amusement.

now he's authorizing actions that will get us involved in another war in Somalia.

Actually, shooting a few of the right people will help
them lose interest in bothering American shipping.

Action does speak louder than words. Tough action
will keep us from being involved in Somalia again.

When the do-nothings forced the military to back
out of Somalia the first time, that decreased our
international image and emboldened our enemies.

Now the Liberal Media is getting jizz in their undies calling Obama's decision "Passing the National Security Test"

Wow those pirates were sure a challenge for him.

He must have swam all the way there shirtless in order to save the Captain.

Now the GWOT is won we can all go home.

It took him how many hours to quit interfering?

The captain of the Bainbridge as well as any member of that SEAL unit had the knowledge and the will to execute the known protocol for dealing with this.

Obama obviously had to think tank this and do some polling in order to see how it would be perceived to harm those poor fishermen.

He should quit interfering and micromanaging>:(

Who does he think he is Jimmy Carter or WJC?

:S

I was pointing out how all his talk of appeasement and pacifism doesn't mean crap to terrorists.

He wasn't the one who brought up appeasement. That was a bullshit claim from the right, when it was claimed that being open to dialog was the equivalent of appeasement.

I just find that a little funny, like promising to be fiscally responsible and then quadrupling the national debt.

Wow. The national debt already exceeds $30 trillion? I would have thought that would have made the news. I'm sure you can find a respectable source to substantiate your claim, right?

I'm sure you are aware that the Obama administration is not yet operating with a budget that they proposed. Heck, there was a budget surplus in 2001, but no one gives GWB credit for it, since he had nothing to do with it. By the same token, it would be much easier to take Obama's critics seriously if they criticized him for things for which he was primarily responsible.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Who does he think he is Jimmy Carter or WJC?

Carter diplomacy was, "We'll pay you if your promise not
to do it again... and we won't check on you to see if
you're lying."

WJC wrote the line from Monty Python, "Run away, run away..."

A lot of politicians take credit for actions after they
succeed. Personally, I don't care if there what the
authorization, or discussion, actually was.

Now O has established a precedent - action.
In the future, it will be an expectation. That is good.

Yep, now the enemy has a time table to work from.

We need to start a Dead Pool for Abdullahi Lami.

I'm thinking 5 weeks. Let him get complacent and
then (poof).

Why complacent?

I want him with all his armed peeps.

I would give this one to the lowest bidder.

All it takes is a satellite phone fix.

It should not cost more than 20k to kill him and his buddies.

Let's not forget foreign trade, there are South Africans out of work..

If I were president all I would have said is, can we put a ship out there to troll for pirates?

Nah. You'd hear, "...but they were just innocent
fishermen 300 miles off the shore..."

The basic problem with police action, you have to
wait for a criminal to do a criminal act.

However, we can take out the ones that have
identified themselves.

I suggest putting a bounty on the heads of the
pirates, like has been done for terrorists in Iraq.

How long do you think a pirate will last with a $500K bounty?
Someone in his own town will turn him in.

So did President Obama order the USN to kill disabled people, i.e. people with eyepatches and hook hands?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

So did President Obama order the USN to kill disabled people, i.e. people with eyepatches and hook hands?

How did they vote?

Analysis determined that they weren't an important voting block for 2012. Gay Bonobo's, however....

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

identified themselves.

Something to note is that there is a special category in international law for pirates. Here is an excellent discussion of applying the well-established laws of piracy to terrorists. It also gives a good background on piracy law.

http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/July-August-2005/feature_burgess_julaug05.msp

Some pertinent points:

More than 2,000 years ago, Marcus Tullius Cicero defined pirates in Roman law as hostis humani generis, "enemies of the human race." From that day until now, pirates have held a unique status in the law as international criminals subject to universal jurisdiction—meaning that they may be captured wherever they are found, by any person who finds them. The ongoing war against pirates is the only known example of state vs. nonstate conflict until the advent of the war on terror, and its history is long and notable.
Until 1856, international law recognized only two legal entities: people and states. People were subject to the laws of their own governments; states were subject to the laws made amongst themselves. The Declaration of Paris created a third entity: people who lacked both the individual rights and protections of law for citizens and the legitimacy and sovereignty of states. This understanding of pirates as a legally distinct category of international criminals persists to the present day, and was echoed in the 1958 and 1982 U.N. Conventions on the Law of the Sea. The latter defines the crime of piracy as "any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends." This definition of piracy as private war for private ends may hold the crux of a new legal definition of international terrorists.

So from a legal perspective, if the US wants to make a concerted effort to go after pirates, it has has centuries of of legal precedents to do so.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

identified themselves.

Something to note is that there is a special category in international law for pirates. Here is an excellent discussion of applying the well-established laws of piracy to terrorists. It also gives a good background on piracy law.

http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/July-August-2005/feature_burgess_julaug05.msp

Some pertinent points:

More than 2,000 years ago, Marcus Tullius Cicero defined pirates in Roman law as hostis humani generis, "enemies of the human race." From that day until now, pirates have held a unique status in the law as international criminals subject to universal jurisdiction—meaning that they may be captured wherever they are found, by any person who finds them. The ongoing war against pirates is the only known example of state vs. nonstate conflict until the advent of the war on terror, and its history is long and notable.
Until 1856, international law recognized only two legal entities: people and states. People were subject to the laws of their own governments; states were subject to the laws made amongst themselves. The Declaration of Paris created a third entity: people who lacked both the individual rights and protections of law for citizens and the legitimacy and sovereignty of states. This understanding of pirates as a legally distinct category of international criminals persists to the present day, and was echoed in the 1958 and 1982 U.N. Conventions on the Law of the Sea. The latter defines the crime of piracy as "any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends." This definition of piracy as private war for private ends may hold the crux of a new legal definition of international terrorists.

So from a legal perspective, if the US wants to make a concerted effort to go after pirates, it has has centuries of of legal precedents to do so.

Interesting. Will read it. Thanks..

-NickDG

I agree, hang him from the Yardarm (or anyother part of the superstructure) Then I think the US should slam a couple of Cruise missiles into the Pirates 'lair' as they are calling it on Yahoo news service.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old self-proclaimed pirate, told the AP from one of Somalia's piracy hubs, Eyl,

A) Either send in a SEAL team to kill him

B) Send ina cruise missile and killl him.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I don't believe for one minute that you are niave and genuinly believe that this would drag the US into a war in Somalia, for a start a war with who??? Pirates? Are you REALLY afraid of the US going to war with Pirates????B| (Arggh)

Also I don't believe that you are uninformed and not aware of the current US actions in Somalia against AQ. So I can only conclude that you're just whinging about Obama. There is a sliding scale between being a war monger and a pacifist John.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca