hwt

The second great depression?

It's concerning, but there were tent cities in the 80's, too, and it wasn't a great depression.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

cool...I love camping....

I just prefer less people and more trees.

I did 8 years of camping all over the world..I will pass .. thanks.

I think its definitely time for a GREAT depression.. these half assed recessions that seem to be happening so frequently under the voodoo economics of the last 28 years are kinda dissapointing in a country that strives for excellence.

Perhaps the American people are finally getting the idea that being trickled down on by people like the Bush Family.. may not be the best way.

It's concerning, but there were tent cities in the 80's, too, and it wasn't a great depression.

There were tent cities both years that I went to WFFC in Quincy, too, and it was anything but depressing. :P
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

What if we have naked tubing?

After previous experiences with nekkid tubing ( on streams and snow).... I think I will pass on that too... that whole shrinkage thing... was just not a pretty sight

cool...I love camping....

I just prefer less people and more trees.

I think its definitely time for a GREAT depression.. these half assed recessions that seem to be happening so frequently under the voodoo economics of the last 28 years are kinda dissapointing in a country that strives for excellence.

Perhaps the American people are finally getting the idea that being trickled down on by people like the Bush Family.. may not be the best way.

Perhaps you don't remember the SNAFU economics of the decade preceding the voodoo phase. Terms like "stagflation" and "misery index."

I remember those days...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

being trickled down on by people like the Bush Family..

I agree he pissed away tax money with the bailouts/stimulus checks last summer and raised minimum wage which is wrong. I didn't agree with his 50billion foreign AIDS package either.

-but-

I think the world economy is far too big for any one man to bring down by himself, (or revive for that matter).

After previous experiences with nekkid tubing ( on streams and snow).... I think I will pass on that too... that whole shrinkage thing... was just not a pretty sight

Ok, how about lots of guns and scary black men...you seem to like those?:)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I agree he pissed away tax money with the bailouts/stimulus checks last summer and raised minimum wage which is wrong. I didn't agree with his 50billion foreign AIDS package either.

-but-

I think the world economy is far too big for any one man to bring down by himself, (or revive for that matter).

Nope but he and his fellow travellers certainly made sure their friends... were VERY well taken care of. I wonder how many of the former administration officials.. have gone to work for the companies owned by the people they enriched by the GOP raid on the treasury the last 8 years?????

The global economy will shrink this year for the first time since the second world war as the "Great Recession" ravages businesses, consumers and financial institutions around the world, the International Monetary Fund warned today.

Speaking in Tanzania, IMF managing director Dominique Strauss-Kahn said the economic downturn would be more severe than previously thought.

"The IMF expects global growth to slow below zero this year, the worst performance in most of our lifetimes," Strauss-Kahn told African political and financial leaders in Dar Es Salaam.

"Continued de-leveraging by world financial institutions, combined with a collapse in consumer and business confidence, is depressing domestic demand across the globe, while world trade is falling at an alarming rate and commodity prices have tumbled."

Strauss-Kahn dubbed the downturn the "Great Recession". The world economy has not suffered an annual contraction since 1945. There appears to be broad consensus that the economic downturn will be much deeper and more protracted than most experts thought just a few months ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/mar/10/imf-great-recession
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

I wonder how many of the former administration officials.. have gone to work for the companies owned by the people they enriched by the GOP raid on the treasury the last 8 years???

good!
I actually hope that every last one of them is working right now. More jobs = better, period. This thread is about the 2nd great depression, not who's back is/was scratched by Bush.

What really amazes me is that some people are busy blaming one another while this problem is snowballing.
Currently there are medical and government jobs available, while the manufacturing in this country has been declining since the late 70s.The very thing that got us out of the last depression is being ignored by both sides. Blue Skies! (Time to air out my tent);)

What really amazes me is that some people are busy blaming one another while this problem is snowballing.
Currently there are medical and government jobs available, while the manufacturing in this country has been declining since the late 70s.The very thing that got us out of the last depression is being ignored by both sides. Blue Skies! (Time to air out my tent);)

there are alot of jobs open, but the entitlement attitude of the people, (thanks partly to the leberal agenda) keeps people from taking those jobs because they don't pay enough or the work is beneath them. what is wrong with working at burger king, shoveling snow, cutting grass or other labor jobs? it is better than being unemployed.

Wait - I thought this was just a "market correction" :P Anyway, some of those tents definitely look like high-end REI tents. When Americans can't afford tents anymore, then it will be depressing.

BTW, people don't want to believe that what's going on now is nearly as bad as the Great Depression. I'll remind those people that during the 30s, most Americans knew how to grow their own food. Today, not only do Americans not know how to grow food, they can't even apply for a job doing it, because they can't speak Spanish.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Not that you all are doing this but every time I see the term Great Depression related to modern times I have to laugh because people forget that the current infrastructure is nothing like what it was during the Great depression.

Sure- some people are without a home or a job right now but the corporate infrastructure will live on and most of the population will continue to live productive lives until some REAL disaster like an asteroid hits the Earth.... This is an economic imaginary disaster, a fear based misconception- and a relatively small one at that.

I use to hate corporations as an anti and environmentalist- until I realized that it was just a stigma I was responding to and that they are actually an efficient way to provide goods and services. The infrastructure is intact and is not going away any time soon. It will continue to provide jobs, goods, and services. This is nothing more than a temporary rough patch in profitability due to FEAR as a result of crappy lending practices and over valuation.

Even though the numerical value of peoples accounts have gone down so will the numerical value of every thing else so there is an equalizing effect.

%93 of people in the U.S are still employed.

Those people who are scared and buying gold right now are betting on Armageddon.-talk about "cut and run", How un-patriotic.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

PEANUTS compared with the money he pissed away in Iraq.

there are alot of jobs open, but the entitlement attitude of the people, (thanks partly to the leberal agenda) keeps people from taking those jobs because they don't pay enough or the work is beneath them. what is wrong with working at burger king, shoveling snow, cutting grass or other labor jobs? it is better than being unemployed.

Nearly 3 million jobs LOST in the last 4 months. How many workers do you think Burger King can absorb?

Next you'll be telling them to eat cake.

%93 of people in the U.S are still employed.

An extremely poor conclusion. From Wikipedia

The unemployment figures indicate how many are not working for pay but seeking employment for pay. It is only indirectly connected with the number of people who are actually not working at all or working without pay. Therefore, critics believe that current methods of measuring unemployment are inaccurate in terms of the impact of unemployment on people as these methods do not take into account the 1.5% of the available working population incarcerated in U.S. prisons (who may or may not be working while incarcerated), those who have lost their jobs and have become discouraged over time from actively looking for work, those who are self-employed or wish to become self-employed, such as tradesmen or building contractors or IT consultants, those who have retired before the official retirement age but would still like to work (involuntary early retirees), those on disability pensions who, while not possessing full health, still wish to work in occupations suitable for their medical conditions, those who work for payment for as little as one hour per week but would like to work full-time. These people are "involuntary part-time" workers, those who are underemployed, e.g., a computer programmer who is working in a retail store until he can find a permanent job, involuntary stay-at-home mothers who would prefer to work, and graduate and Professional school students who were unable to find worthwhile jobs after they graduated with their Bachelor's degrees.

Know any self-employed people? I know a lot, myself included, which don't show up on unemployment numbers when we're out of work. Know any stay-at-home moms or dads? None of these people are included in unemployment figures. In fact, out of the 305 million US citizens, only 141 million are "employed" in the civilian labor force. Those numbers don't count a lot of people that are really hurting to make ends meet.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Nearly 3 million jobs LOST in the last 4 months. How many workers do you think Burger King can absorb?

Next you'll be telling them to eat cake.

I don't know but if there are about 10 million illegal aliens and 3 million jobs lost that would equal plus 7 million jobs gained and none lost. I think my numbers add up let me see 3+7=10 yep they add up

>Know any self-employed people?

Yep ME- and I am not sitting at home crying about it either as my main income is in the real estate business which is the crux of the overvaluation/ credit problem.

The other is development of alternative fuels....that slowed down to a screeching halt too as a result in the drop in oil prices.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

I am actively looking for some way to adapt my skills to the new environment- thats what free market enterprise is all about...you have to roll with the economic punches.

In the meantime life goes on......
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415