mdrejhon

Intentional Cutaway Desired - Raven Micro 150 Concerns

I'd go with the PD143. As you mentioned, it's larger than the MR150, has good resale value, and is much more forgiving.

get the pd 143, it will save your ass and land you nicely..

my p.d. reserve is loaded at 1.7 and opens and swoops like a dream!;)

Yes, the micro-raven is older than the PD airfoil, and designed to be flown a lower W/L. Yes, the micro-raven is known for having a short flare range with a sudden stall. However, any problems with the raven I have ever heard of were VERY small reserves (120 range) and much more highly loaded then 1.25.

My experiences aren't that high of a wing-loading but they are small canopies. I've got a Microraven 120 in one of my rigs and it lands fine if I front-riser it in. Otherwise it has no flare. I used a dash-m 109 once (body weight 130) and it stalled out on me above my ears. I sold it immediately and replaced it with a Tempo 120.

I went out of my way to put the Tempo 120 in my CRW rig. It has 8 jumps on it now and still lands quite nice. Its definitely my favorite reserve. I like PD reserves as well, but I don't have any problems with Tempos. In my experience they land quite well.
W

I'm not going to read the whole thread but have skimmed it well enough to read... gear fear... Raven horrors...

No matter what parachute you find yourself under, do a canopy control check. If you find yourself under a reserve, remember it's not fragile, it's just a parachute. So do the checks. That includes turning both directions and performing test flares.

When you perform the test flares... remember where the flare point is.

When people stall the Raven series canopy, it's simply because they get near the ground and cram on the brakes and it folds up. Don't do that. Test flare it and flare the canopy how it wants to be flared.

I've landed a 109, a 120, and a 135 and have stalled none of them because I did a control check. You can too.

I still prefer a PD of similar size to the Micro Raven due to the flight and flaring characteristics but the Micro Raven will land you fine if you ask it too. (not verbally either)

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Slightlyheavily overloaded Raven Micro's are known to stall "instantly" when you pull brakes down too far.

And it seems to be more prevalent with smaller sizes. In my experience, there are no real performance issues with a 150 Dash M at the 1.25 loading. I wouldn't jump one much over 1.3.

The thing to remeber with the Dash M series, is that they can be landed sucessfully at higher loadings but most people are not familiar with how an F111 seven cell flys and are too excited when riding it to realize that the full range of control is there, it's just "compressed" into the top of the control range. One could alter that by lengthing control lines but then you'd have a control range that hade a "dead" spot in the top of the range.

If planning to load higher, select a more modern design, like the RMax, Smart, or PDR.

Re: your cutaway, if you just want to test the canopy, it would be far easier to just pack it as a main in another rig.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Mark:

If there is a tersh set up at the DZ, I will more than likely be doing an intentional on my Micro-Raven 150 next weekend, so you will be able to see one in action. I'm a little lighter (150 with gear on), so it may not answer your concerns with as much detail as you're looking for.

Trev

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hello Trevor,

Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to make it this weekend -- a small cold and also an upcoming move between two apartments. But if you do the jump, let me know your results. I am sure it will land fine at your wingloadings (not as likely to suddenly collapse during the middle of a flare)

My dropzone has PD demos - I'll probably ask for a PD143R to test-jump sometime next spring. Skydiving season is now almost over in Canada.

Get one and bring it to CSS for Thanksgiving.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

My dropzone has PD demos - I'll probably ask for a PD143R to test-jump sometime next spring. Skydiving season is now almost over in Canada.

Get one and bring it to CSS for Thanksgiving.

I'm not 100% sure I can make the CSS roadtrip, my home dropzone is planning that CSS roadtrip, but I already took a skydiving vacation to Florida (Deaf World Record) just a few days ago. So it's gonna be a bit hard to get the funds and days off, but I haven't written it off just yet - just a matter of finding someone who's willing to drive down on a Friday and driving back home on a Monday, and this may just push me over the edge to going to CSS B|

Interesting read.

I'm sitting here nine years later having exactly the same concerns.

I recently bought a used container with a Raven 150 DOM 92 as my first rig.

I hadn't done my home work and later learned that there could be an issue landing the Raven, unless I practiced its special flight characteristics before-hand.

After due consideration I decided to have it replaced with an Optimum-160. Better safe than sorry. I jump to have fun and being uncomfortable about my abilities to land my reserve is not my kind of fun.

Next time PD comes to demo their canopies on a DZ near my location I will take a few test jumps in the Optimum-160.

Until then I will simply rely on what others have said about it, and jump it without second thoughts.

I've seen two broken back and one broken ankle with Micro Raven 120 or smaller I think. It wasn't the Dash M series.

I laughed at the maximum suspended weight per placard. It was less than 130 lbs I believe. All of them were flown by the canopy pilot themselves weighed much more than that, not including the weight of the harness and other stuff.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I've ridden two Micro Raven 150 canopies, both manufactured in 2001 and loaded at 1.4. To describe the flare as strong would be a lie, but I managed to stand both of them up even at high altitude and temperature after a couple practice flares. Figure out the point where a stall starts and quickly flare to that point close to the ground.

They really didn't seem too bad to me, especially after a cranky main.

theplummeter

I've ridden two Micro Raven 150 canopies, both manufactured in 2001 and loaded at 1.4. To describe the flare as strong would be a lie, but I managed to stand both of them up even at high altitude and temperature after a couple practice flares. Figure out the point where a stall starts and quickly flare to that point close to the ground.

They really didn't seem too bad to me, especially after a cranky main.

This may work. But it's really easy to mess it up and hurt yourself with this kind of loading on this kind of canopy. On a reserve ride there is no guarantee that altitude will be available for practice flares. It would be far better to load the dice in your favor, rather than against you.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Agreed
The Micro Raven 109 Dash M was only made during the last batch of Raven reserve production, during the mid-1990s.
Aerodynamically, they were pretty much the same as earlier Ravens. They had the same airfoil section and line trim as Super Raven -D. The major difference on the Raven Dash M was structural with span-wise bottom skins and no bridle attachment.
Why anyone would want to load any Raven more than 1 pound per square foot baffles me??????????????

People aren't informed about it that is why.

I've seen some people who doesn't even know their color of the reserve.

Jumpers should know their gear, and what is the parameter.

I've seen three people not walking away from the micro-raven landings. Ever since then I try to post much about it on forum when the topic pops out so that others are informed and they don't make the same mistake.

It is sad to see someone chop from a simple line-twist and they end up in ambulance ride.

I'm not bashing micro-ravens. I'm pretty sure they work fine when used properly. Just want to say that they don't fly like the newer reserve do.

stayhigh

People aren't informed about it that is why.

I've seen some people who doesn't even know their color of the reserve.

Jumpers should know their gear, and what is the parameter.

I've seen three people not walking away from the micro-raven landings. Ever since then I try to post much about it on forum when the topic pops out so that others are informed and they don't make the same mistake.

It is sad to see someone chop from a simple line-twist and they end up in ambulance ride.

I'm not bashing micro-ravens. I'm pretty sure they work fine when used properly. Just want to say that they don't fly like the newer reserve do.

PDRs don't fly or flare brilliantly either. Most folks don't have much if any time on a 7 cell. Combine that with being amped up after a cut away and I think you already set the stage for a lot of injuries. I have three rides on a Micro Raven. I certainly like the PDR in my other rig, but it's not a Swift by any means...

Sad, but true!
Young skydivers are not interested in listening to us grumpy old farts talk about the limitations of cheap gear.

For years, I railed against the stupidity of fat white men jumping Micro Ravens.

Sadly no one listened until one of the (medium-sized) local lads stalled his Micro Raven into the hospital. He broke a bunch of bones and needed many months to recover. His buddies needed to help him wipe his ass for a month before they stopped buying Micro Ravens.
Only then did the price of used Ravens descend faster than a fat man hanging under a Micro Raven!
By then Precision had already been sewing R-Max reserves for a few years.

What is crazy is that rigger that continues to repack these Micros.

I feel that these riggers should inform all of their customer that the toggle range is really, really, fucking short on the Mircos. The riggers need to tell them to fly these canopies correctly or suffer the consequences.

I still see them selling it over dz.com for over 400 bucks.

WTF?

Micro Raven brand new back in 1990's probably cost less than 700 bucks. Why are they still 400 bucks? Who the fuck are these assholes selling it to newbies that doesn't know better.

Burn these canopy, make em un-airworthy.

Now I'm officially bashing Micro Ravens. Sorry George Gallaway but alot of your canopy sucks compare to the other brand. I've jumped Precision Tandems to Xaos but I liked none of them. But openings are fucking awesome tho. Nice opening, mushy canopies are what they are.

You really believe it's a rigger's responsibility to tell grown-ass men to NOT jump approved/airworthy/TSO'd reserves? You really believe a rigger should NOT pack that same airworty/TSO'd reserve just because some jackass never took the time to test jump his reserve type or to at least bother to do a couple of test flares prior to landing his reserve?

I've seen plenty of people stall small Ravens and Micro Ravens due to their short toggle stroke, but I'm not about to blame the reserve (or the rigger).

SkymonkeyONE

You really believe it's a rigger's responsibility to tell grown-ass men to NOT jump approved/airworthy/TSO'd reserves? You really believe a rigger should NOT pack that same airworty/TSO'd reserve just because some jackass never took the time to test jump his reserve type or to at least bother to do a couple of test flares prior to landing his reserve?

I've seen plenty of people stall small Ravens and Micro Ravens due to their short toggle stroke, but I'm not about to blame the reserve (or the rigger).

Alot of people get hurt and cant take responsibility on there own so its alot easier to blame the gear when they most likely would have got hurt on any tiny f111 7 cell coz it didnt behave the same as there main
FTMC