rushmc

Well? Did SNL Go Too Far?

I will never forget Belushi on stage with Joe Cocker. I never laughed so hard in my life. Not to mention, Belushi could really sing!!

Ever had one of those backward experiences when you see a parody of something you have never seen, and only later see the subject of the parody?

When I saw Aykroyd doing Julia Childs, I didn't see what was so funny. Then later I saw Julia Childs for the first time, and couldn't stop laughing.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

So, my question stands, who decides?

You keep asking that question as if there really is a definitive answer.

In the specific case of SNL, it's Lorne Michaels, ultimately he gives his go-ahead on which sketches are in and which are out, but out in the rest of the world, like I said, it's the audience reaction. Some of which -can- be predicted in advance if a person understands the venue and temperament of the time.

Oh, you can go to south central and make ethnic jokes all day long as a white guy, but it's probably not going to get you a lot of laughs. It's got nothing to do with being PC. It has everything to do with doing appropriate material for the audience. The performer can "decide" to do it, but only the audience can "decide" if it's funny.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I will never forget Belushi on stage with Joe Cocker. I never laughed so hard in my life. Not to mention, Belushi could really sing!!

Ever had one of those backward experiences when you see a parody of something you have never seen, and only later see the subject of the parody?

When I saw Aykroyd doing Julia Childs, I didn't see what was so funny. Then later I saw Julia Childs for the first time, and couldn't stop laughing.

I know what you mean..In this case though, I had seen Cocker on TV before I watched him on SNL.

With Cocker standing right beside Belushi, well, I may have to youtube it just to see if I can see it again:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

So, my question stands, who decides?

You keep asking that question as if there really is a definitive answer.

In the specific case of SNL, it's Lorne Michaels, ultimately he gives his go-ahead on which sketches are in and which are out, but out in the rest of the world, like I said, it's the audience reaction. Some of which -can- be predicted in advance if a person understands the venue and temperament of the time.

Oh, you can go to south central and make ethnic jokes all day long as a white guy, but it's probably not going to get you a lot of laughs. It's got nothing to do with being PC. It has everything to do with doing appropriate material for the audience. The performer can "decide" to do it, but only the audience can "decide" if it's funny.

Not looking for an anser as much as an opinion. If I am to interpit yours I would say you think they did go to far.

That is OK, just curious
Abraham Lincoln

With Cocker standing right beside Belushi, well, I may have to youtube it just to see if I can see it again:D

Here is one of Belushi doing Cocker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXxlscLNTl8

Boy, if that dont date me.

I watched one with both Belushi and Cocker togerher on stage singing the same song. Have you seen that one?

May not have been on SNL
Abraham Lincoln

I've been a big fan of SNL since the first show with the original cast... Belushi, Aykroyd, Murray and the others. To me, they were to SNL what Sean Connery was to 'James Bond... there will never be another like them. SNL has had it's ups and downs over the years and some very good casts. It has been that 'edgi-ness' of the show that maintains it's appeal. They really hit a home-run with the Sarah Palin skits... classic SNL.

Chuck

I will never forget Belushi on stage with Joe Cocker. I never laughed so hard in my life. Not to metion, Belushi could really sing!!

I about rolled outa my chair, laughing, the night I watched that show! Joe Cocker's response was great. So sad, a man of Belushi's talent had to leave us so soon. As well as John Candy and Chris Farley. Chris' 'motivational' guy was hilarious... "and I live in a van, down by the river!" Gilda Radner and her 'Baba Wawa' also, left us too soon. My sister in-law, gave us a set of DVD's covering 25-yrs of SNL... great stuff.

Chuck

I've been a big fan of SNL since the first show with the original cast... Belushi, Aykroyd, Murray and the others. To me, they were to SNL what Sean Connery was to 'James Bond... there will never be another like them. SNL has had it's ups and downs over the years and some very good casts. It has been that 'edgi-ness' of the show that maintains it's appeal. They really hit a home-run with the Sarah Palin skits... classic SNL.

Chuck

I will never forget Belushi on stage with Joe Cocker. I never laughed so hard in my life. Not to metion, Belushi could really sing!!

I about rolled outa my chair, laughing, the night I watched that show! Joe Cocker's response was great. So sad, a man of Belushi's talent had to leave us so soon. As well as John Candy and Chris Farley. Chris' 'motivational' guy was hilarious... "and I live in a van, down by the river!" Gilda Radner and her 'Baba Wawa' also, left us too soon. My sister in-law, gave us a set of DVD's covering 25-yrs of SNL... great stuff.

Chuck

All Clasic

One has to wonder how those skits we watched years ago would be reported on today?[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

Not looking for an anser as much as an opinion. If I am to interpit yours I would say you think they did go to far.

That is OK, just curious

I think you're missing my point. Not too far, just the wrong subject matter. There was funnier stuff to be done with him.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

That is OK, just curious

I think you're missing my point. Not too far, just the wrong subject matter. There was funnier stuff to be done with him.

Ok, I understand your point.

So let me ask you this. What is your opinion of the linked news article?
Abraham Lincoln

In looking at our 'humor' in general, it seems to thrive on the short-comings and weaknesses of people. I hear it just about everywhere. SNL does the same thing only, on a much broader level. With them, the higher in society one is the greater chance SNL will pick on them. Everyone is 'fair game'. Father Guido Sarducci (sp), picked on the Pope!:o

Chuck

In looking at our 'humor' in general, it seems to thrive on the short-comings and weaknesses of people. I hear it just about everywhere. SNL does the same thing only, on a much broader level. With them, the higher in society one is the greater chance SNL will pick on them. Everyone is 'fair game'. Father Guido Sarducci (sp), picked on the Pope!:o

Chuck

Chuck

Oh man

I had forgotten:$

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Father+Guido+Sarducci+&search_type=&aq=f
Abraham Lincoln

It's not that they went too far, it's that they picked the wrong topic.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to mock whatever a person does that he had control over. It's not really funny to mock a person for things they have no control over whatsoever.

Hmm,

Well, I look forward to the conversation based on your perspective.

Not that I agree with it.

I mean, who picks what is the right topic and what is not? You? Me?

My thoughts exactly. Someone says "That's not funny!" I say "Says who?" Is there one person that holds golden rules for humor? I say there is no morality rule in humor. There is nothing in this world that is beyond making fun of.

The correct response would be "That's not funny to me."
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

If, I recall correctly, Father Guido, got his 'big break on 'The Smother's Brothers Comedy Hour'.
One of my favorite skits on SNL was, William Shatner telling a bunch of 'Trekkies' at a Star Trek convention to; "Get a life, people!" Good stuff.

This was a good one, but I looked at it more like Shatner distancing himself from Star Trek so that he can move on and go about his acting career...The Priceline Negotiator has turned out to be a huge success!
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

On a recent episode of Boston Legal, Alan and Denny were out on the balcony, drinking their usual evening scotch.
Denny to Alan: "What am I going to do, now that the Chinese have bought the firm... and the 'mad-cow'?"
Alan to Denny: "Oh, you'll probably continue to do well with the 'Priceline' commercials!"
I'm going to miss that show!

Chuck

If, I recall correctly, Father Guido, got his 'big break on 'The Smother's Brothers Comedy Hour'.
One of my favorite skits on SNL was, William Shatner telling a bunch of 'Trekkies' at a Star Trek convention to; "Get a life, people!" Good stuff.

This was a good one, but I looked at it more like Shatner distancing himself from Star Trek so that he can move on and go about his acting career...The Priceline Negotiator has turned out to be a huge success!

How about Shatner's Boston Legal role??? SOB he is perfect for that part!
Abraham Lincoln

How about Shatner's Boston Legal role??? SOB he is perfect for that part!

I think, Boston Legal will go down in t.v. history, much like M.A.S.H. I have wondered sometimes if maybe, Shatner wasn't satiring himself. Whatever the case, he was as you said, perfect for the role. James Spader was fascinating and mesmerizing with his closings. All in all, an un-believably wonderful cast on that show.

Chuck

I think, Boston Legal will go down in t.v. history, much like M.A.S.H. I have wondered sometimes if maybe, Shatner wasn't satirizing himself. Whatever the case, he was as you said, perfect for the role. James Spader was fascinating and mesmerizing with his closings. All in all, an un-believably wonderful cast on that show.

Agreed. Over the past year, my TV viewing declined to the point that all I was watching was "Boston Legal" and "House, M.D", and now I don't even watch TV, but watch the shows I want via NetFlix DVD's. I am just finishing up the BL 3rd season. The political/social commentary is outstanding, as it the acting.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

"I say there is no morality rule in humor. There is nothing in this world that is beyond making fun of."

How about a fatal automobile accident? A child with cancer? The 2004 tsunami in Thailand that killed 8,000 people? The Holocaust? The nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? There are things in this world that are not funny and never will be.

As far as the original question here, that skit made me uncomfortable. Making fun of someone's blindness seems like a nasty cheap shot. I'm sure there are others who find making fun of the disabled absolutely hysterical. I'm also sure there is nothing I can say to the folks who enjoy that sort of humor that would change their minds.

"I say there is no morality rule in humor. There is nothing in this world that is beyond making fun of."

How about a fatal automobile accident? A child with cancer? The 2004 tsunami in Thailand that killed 8,000 people? The Holocaust? The nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? There are things in this world that are not funny and never will be.

As far as the original question here, that skit made me uncomfortable. Making fun of someone's blindness seems like a nasty cheap shot. I'm sure there are others who find making fun of the disabled absolutely hysterical. I'm also sure there is nothing I can say to the folks who enjoy that sort of humor that would change their minds.

I don't know, I remember being in grade school and making Challenger jokes. I thought they were funny at the time, but completely based on a tragedy. there is a BIG difference between PC and funny.

People with no arms and no legs are not funny (and are very handicapped) but if they are on the ground and their name is Matt, or they are floating in the water and they're name is Bob, well, then that is funny.

PC and frunny are two different things.