JohnRich

Yet more good reasons for the death penalty.

>Removing the threat is the sole reason for CP.

Agreed. Capital punishment or life in prison without parole, whatever's cheaper.

Life in prison is cheaper. The legal proceedings and appeals in a case involving the death sentence are vastly more expensive. You're in the courts for up to 10 years sometimes before the execution.

You're in the courts for up to 10 years sometimes before the execution.

Of the three inmates that JohnRich provided links on in the OP two were originally sentenced in 1996, the other in 1992. Executions are currently scheduled for 2009. That's fortythree years worth of imprisonment and appeals for three executions - assuming that there are no further postponements.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I say bullshit.
Life in prison completely removes them from society and provides more than ample protection from further violent crime.

Life in prison does not completely remove them from society. In Texas a lot of life sentences amount to 7 years and Texas has no "Life without Parole" provision.

If you come from a "good" family you could get out in less than 7 years depending on the county and family.

In the case of capital murder, most commonly the death of a person during the commission of another felony, or the death of a policeman or 2nd rape of a minor, the jury can give life in prison or death, if requested by the state.

Fair? Nope, but that's what we have to work with.

Blue skies,

Jim

Fair? Nope, but that's what we have to work with.

At the moment. But saying "We don't have real life in prison as an alternative" isn't a valid argument against abolishing CP. It's an argument for instituting real life sentences.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Some states are smart enough to not allow early outs for murder, especially the violent, heinous, disgusting disregard for human life, society, and laws murders. Not that there is really any other kind mind you...but the manslaughters and accidental homicides are a slight bit different IMO.

Mistakes are sometimes made, John. Reversals of convictions - on grounds that the defendant actually didn't do it - do occur from time to time. A wrongful non-capital sentence can be reversed. A wrongful completed execution cannot. This is an area in which collateral damage is always unacceptable.

He is just being a good Texas Christian. You know, the one that doesn't follow what the Bible says but expects others to do so. Let's just start with these two: Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged and Exodus 20:13 You shall not murder.

I'm sure at least 9 out of 10 are guilty.

It's Texas...we're pro-active, the innocent guy woulda done something sooner or later! :D

And for the libs....the dead criminals are permanantly rehabilitated.

They shall comment no more crimes.

Ciao MoFo's,
Mad Max

Don't go away mad....just go away!

Whjy do so many professed "good Christians" have so much hate in their hearts that allow them to celebrate the murder of other human beings by their society in their name?

Do you think GOD might feel that a bunch of you have usurped his ability to judge as Jesus told you he does?

Excellent point!

That appears to be why they have an Old (Fire, brimstone, death & destruction)and a New (fluffy little lambies and curing poorly peeps) testament that have completely different sets of rules/ethics.. Then they can choose the ones that suit each individual situation .. it's a very cunning ploy.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Like Boeing, the top recipient of no-bid contracts in Iraq, perhaps?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gold star for you.

Mikee likes to bring that one up as a personal jab at me.. since I used to work for Boeing. He seems to think that is the bast tactic to deflect his support for the largese that he has benefited from.

He knows perfectly well that most of what Boeing gets as a defese contractor was based on winning design competitions and becoming the sole supplier for weapons systems based on WINNING the contract based on their design and performance in the competition.

He does not separate that from no bid contracts like those that Halliburton and Blackwater and thier ilk recieved based soley on who liked them in this current administration...nor the why of what that "like" stemed from:S:S

You mean like the 94% open-bid contract awards for Halliburton, Jeanne? I couldn't speak about Blackwater, as I haven't researched them.

So, yeah...when you spout the 'friends of the administration' crap, I'm going to bring up Boeing's no-bid contracts.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So, yeah...when you spout the 'friends of the administration' crap, I'm going to bring up Boeing's no-bid contracts.

I love the way you compare mushrooms to watermelons.

And I love your fantasy writing.

Still waiting on all that largesse you seem to think I get - my salary is 55k.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

From thread drift here...

When you get there, answer this question: Are you opposed to the death penalty in cases where guilt is absolutely positively known for sure?

Without a doubt, yes. And I am a better person for having that belief. Nothing you say or present will say otherwise. And yes, this comes from someone that had a relative murdered.

Okay, so you can't follow instructions or forum protocol for keeping subjects on-topic in the appropriate place.

Great, so we'll now fragment this thread into two different things.

The person who started the thread drift by talking about the death penalty was you, so it's ironic that you would be the one to "give instructions" to stay on topic. Actually, that's not entirely accurate. Your off-topic post wasn't about the death penalty. It was about "stirring up the liberals." Which might have actually been on-topic, since I suspect that was the whole point behind the post.

Anyway, to follow your instructions (am I doing it right?) I'll reply to you here.

So what you're saying is that you are opposed to the death penalty itself, for anyone, for any reason. And that means then that all this talk about opposing it because of the possibility of executing someone innocent is just a BS excuse because they don't want to have to defend their real position.

Yes, I am opposed to the execution of a guilty man. However, the execution of an innocent man is worse than the execution of a guilty man. So for somebody who is opposed to the death penalty to focus their attention on the potential for execution of innocents is not a "BS excuse"... it is simply focusing on the worst aspects of the problem. To suggest that she "doesn't want to defend her position" (right after she just defended it) really puzzles me.

Now, we've both answered your question and you still haven't answered mine.

When is the execution of an innocent man ever an acceptable form of collateral damage?

And another.

Why is it so important for you to see the guilty man die?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Now, we've both answered your question and you still haven't answered mine.

Three days later. Hello? You've accused us of "not wanting to defend our position" after we answered your questions, and then you ignored ours. Who is not defending whose position?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

to be fair, no-one who has had a death sentence carried out proper;y upon them has complained about it.

well, not afterwards anyway. i'd say that's 100% satisfaction.

*edited because apparently my fingers can't spell 'sentence'
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!