SEREJumper

What are you going to do with your stimulus check?

President-elect Obama thinks that another round of stimulus checks will help this failing economy. If you got a check last time, lets just say it was the same amount. If you didn't lets say no more than $1200.

So what would you do with it?
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

"stimulus check" = welfare, the way they are implemented

tax cuts would be more effective and permanent

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Just like this one - I spent it. Between the tax return and the stimulus package I was able to get my house reinsulated, my.spa heater replaced, and my trees trimmed.

I don't have consumer debt and we live within our means. So it is like gravy for us.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The Beretta Cx4 Storm is a nice little toy too. I put my ITT night vision on it with a laser sight and it lights up the night through the optics. It also uses the same mags as an M-92

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

How about taking someone to lunch that didn't get one. After all, they paid for it.

That's kind of what I did w/what I received - donated to the Atlanta Catholic Worker House; it's a soup kitchen.
Also donated to two political candidates.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

The check was a tax cut, just paid in advance.

:S - there's nothing wrong with the word "welfare", so LYING to satisfy some form of political semantics is just sad

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

:S - there's nothing wrong with the word "welfare", so LYING to satisfy some form of political semantics is just sad

Tax cut = welfare? Let's get the words straight.

The stimulus check this past year, like the one in 2001, was an advance payment to cover a tax cut that would be in effect when you filed the following April.

Why do it that way, rather than just reduce the withholding through the year? Because people wouldn't splurge on an extra $15/wk.

Who gets the checks?

those that pay fed tax, or those that don't

call it what it is, the effectiveness or not is a different topic

edit that topic - borrowing from Kelpdiver to pay Kelpdiver isn't a good formula for economic stimulus. You just as well go to Kelpdiver's house, hold a gun to his head and force him to buy shit, and then pay the henchman for their trouble in addition to the purchases.

President-elect Obama thinks that another round of stimulus checks will help this failing economy. If you got a check last time, lets just say it was the same amount. If you didn't lets say no more than $1200.

So what would you do with it?

If I get a check I'll save it for when I have to pay for everyone's stimulus checks and bail-outs, whether directly in the form of increased taxes to cover debt payments or indirectly as the dollar is devalued.

Tax cut = welfare? Let's get the words straight.

The stimulus check this past year, like the one in 2001, was an advance payment to cover a tax cut that would be in effect when you filed the following April.

The bottom two income quintiles have negative average income tax rates due to refundable credits. 1/3 of Americans workers aren't required to pay income tax. The subset of these people reporting at least $3000 in income were elligible for refunds; they just had to bother to file income tax returns.

That's wellfare.

I don't even get a check, so leave my name out of it.

But I don't think you're getting it. It's a tax cut. It's not welfare unless people who didn't have income get one too.

That's almost the case. While you needed a little income to get the checks, you didn't need any t ax liability. Even people paying nothing in taxes and getting refundable credits back were elligible.

I don't have consumer debt and we live within our means. So it is like gravy for us.

Same here. I would just put it in my daughter's ESA.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln