Rookie120

You can't make this shit up!

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- Electric and hybrid vehicles may be better for the environment, but the California Legislature says they're bad for the blind.

It has passed a bill to ensure that the vehicles make enough noise to be heard by visually impaired people about to cross a street.

The measure would establish a committee to study the issue and recommend ways the vehicles could make more noise.

The state Department of Motor Vehicles says more than 300,000 of the vehicles are on state roads. Officials say they don't keep statistics on pedestrian accidents involving those vehicles.

The bill has been sent to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has not taken a position.

So you have a enviro friendly car but now it's to quiet? What the hell. Now they want it to make noise. They already have laws for loud music now they want cars to make more noise.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I'm nearly certain it will be something akin to a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle (thereby indicating speed) but cuts out above a certain threshold (above which the noise would be ineffective anyway).

This would be extremely useful near cross walks where a "silent" vehicle gives no indication whatsoever that it's there to a blind person.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

this topic has been coming up all over the globe, without much consensus.

There are questions about how big the problem really is, or if the blind should be crossing just because they don't hear, anyway. (Bicycles are silent too) And then of course the issue of noise pollution.

Tire noise is still significant, the engine is often running. It feels like the overstated threat of cell phone users, with even fewer cases (not aware of any) to cite.

This would be extremely useful near cross walks where a "silent" vehicle gives no indication whatsoever that it's there to a blind person.

With ll the city noises modern cars with normal quiet exhausts would not be heard, it sound like a law being made by people who dont think very long about things
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I stayed once in this supposedly really nice hotel and the A/C was effing LOUD.

I mean--come on!--it made no sense. I can feel when it's cool and when it's not. I do NOT need to hear it, retardos. :S

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

This is the same kind of jackassery that prompted putting brail on drive-up ATM's.:S

Did you READ the source?

It is about blind pedestrians. There are plenty of them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is the same kind of jackassery that prompted putting brail on drive-up ATM's.

So you think it's jackassery to drive a blind friend over to use an ATM? Or is it jackassery that your blind friend won't just hand over their ATM card and tell you their PIN because you drove them to the ATM? Or is jackassery to allow people to walk up to a drive-up ATM to use it? Or is it just jackassery for blind people to walk up to the ATM but it's okay for someone who can see?

I "walk up" to the "drive-up" ATM across the parking lot from my office to get cash about once a week.
Owned by Remi #?

This is the same kind of jackassery that prompted putting brail on drive-up ATM's.

I was thinking more about requiring braille numbers on the keypad to open the door of an airplane hangar.
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

This is required where?

Americans with Disabilities Act:

III-4.3100 General. A public accommodation is required to provide auxiliary aids and services that are necessary to ensure equal access to the goods, services, facilities, privileges, or accommodations that it offers, unless an undue burden or a fundamental alteration would result.
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

The vehicle's there to sighted people, too, ya know. :P
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

I believe it is customary for sighted people to look for traffic before they cross.

"LOOK TO THE LEFT, LOOK TO THE RIGHT..."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

An act I wish the person I blasted about 6 years ago would have done. When the fire department dug her out of the car all she could say was "This car is 6 weeks old". I felt bad for smashin up a new Caddy!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

So you think it's jackassery to drive a blind friend over to use an ATM? Or is it jackassery that your blind friend won't just hand over their ATM card and tell you their PIN because you drove them to the ATM? Or is jackassery to allow people to walk up to a drive-up ATM to use it? Or is it just jackassery for blind people to walk up to the ATM but it's okay for someone who can see?

I "walk up" to the "drive-up" ATM across the parking lot from my office to get cash about once a week.

I dont have any blind friends so yes jackassery.:| And please explain to me how a blind guy manages to FIND a drive up ATM to walk up to without some form of assistance. Furthermore, why would anyone want to walk up to a drive up ATM for that matter. Its not as if there aren't plenty of walk up ATM's out there
Muff #5048

I dont have any blind friends so yes jackassery.:| And please explain to me how a blind guy manages to FIND a drive up ATM to walk up to without some form of assistance. Furthermore, why would anyone want to walk up to a drive up ATM for that matter. Its not as if there aren't plenty of walk up ATM's out there

Exactly how does this brail offend you?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

I believe it is customary for sighted people to look for traffic before they cross.

We may look left and right but generally we listen in Dolby 5.1 surround.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Exactly how does this brail offend you?

It doesnt. I just think its kind of stupid. Almost like the menu at McDonalds that has printed on it "Picture Menu's Available Upon Request":S. Chances are the person who needs that sort of menu wont be able to read that text.
Muff #5048