nerdgirl

Russian General on US-Polish Missile Defense Deal: "cannot go unpunished"

The International Herald TribunePoland-U.S. missile deal draws anger from Russia” has a less sensationalistic headline than the AP “Russia: Poland risks attack because of US missiles” or the Australia’s Daily TelegraphRussia threatens nuclear attack” articles.

From IHT:
“The United States and Poland have reached a deal to place an American missile-defense base on Polish territory, in the strongest reaction so far to Russia's military operation in Georgia.

“Russia reacted in anger, saying that the move would worsen relations with the United States, which had already been strained severely in the week since Russian troops entered separatist enclaves in Georgia, a close American ally.

“At a news conference Friday, a senior Russian defense official, Colonel General Anatoli Nogovitsyn [rank roughly equivalent to 3-star General Officer – nerdgirl], suggested that Poland was making itself a target by agreeing to serve as host for the antimissile system. Such an action ‘cannot go unpunished,’ he said.

“But the deal also reflected growing alarm in countries like Poland, once a conquered Soviet client state, about the intentions of a newly rich and powerful Russia in its former Cold War sphere of power. In fact, negotiations dragged on for 18 months - but were completed only as old memories and new fears surfaced over the last few days.

“Those fears were codified to some degree in what U.S. officials characterized as unusual aspects of the final deal: that at least temporarily, U.S. soldiers would staff missile sites in Poland oriented toward Russia, and that the United States would be obliged to defend Poland in case of an attack with greater speed than required under NATO, of which Poland is a member.”

From the AP article:
“‘Poland, by deploying (the system) is exposing itself to a strike—100 percent,’ [Gen. Anatoly] Nogovitsyn, the deputy chief of staff, was quoted as saying.

“He added, in clear reference to the agreement, that Russia's military doctrine sanctions the use of nuclear weapons ‘against the allies of countries having nuclear weapons if they in some way help them.’ Nogovitsyn that would include elements of strategic deterrence systems, he said, according to Interfax.

“At a news conference earlier Friday, Nogovitsyn had reiterated Russia's frequently stated warning that placing missile-defense elements in Poland and the Czech Republic would bring an unspecified military response. But his subsequent reported statement substantially stepped up a war of words.”

Rhetoric or real?
Bellicose threats of the Russian bear?
Or further indication of Russia’s growing will to politically assert itself? … or indication of Russia’s *perceptions* regarding US unwillingness/inability to respond?

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Help an ignorant person out. I have not done any research on this topic. My 3rd grade question:

Why would anyone object to a country having a missile defense system? What threat does that pose to other nations? Doesn't every nation have a right to their own defense?

Don't forget the great sounding speech backed up by nothing. And if asked a question he is not prepared for then he would say "Ugh, um...(silence)...that is above my paygrade."
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

I understand what you're saying...I think. In the Russia/Poland issue it seems to me that the only reason Russia should be pissed is if they are planning on sending some missiles into Poland. What am I missing?

>In the Russia/Poland issue it seems to me that the only reason Russia
>should be pissed is if they are planning on sending some missiles into
>Poland. What am I missing?

Or any country near Poland. Nuclear weapons are intended as deterrents. Neutralizing them makes a country weaker militarily. We'd object just as strenuously if someone did that to us.

Bloody Poland again? I say we prevent WWIII and Nuke the bastards ourselves! Look what happened last time we went to their aid.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

>In the Russia/Poland issue it seems to me that the only reason Russia
>should be pissed is if they are planning on sending some missiles into
>Poland. What am I missing?

Or any country near Poland. Nuclear weapons are intended as deterrents. Neutralizing them makes a country weaker militarily. We'd object just as strenuously if someone did that to us.

To be honest Bill, I was really looking for an answer from Nerdgirl. IMO, she's replaced you as the brainy one around here.:P;) I'm just kidding Bill. Thanks for your replies.:)

The International Herald TribunePoland-U.S. missile deal draws anger from Russia” has a less sensationalistic headline than the AP “Russia: Poland risks attack because of US missiles” or the Australia’s Daily TelegraphRussia threatens nuclear attack” articles

Have a read of this article if you're after a wider media opinion.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

What I see is the US(us) pissing everyone off in the world. [:/]

Of an interesting note, (if you want to believe the vocal minority) strong hatred towards the USA in Liberal Canada grows daily and there is no shortage of Liberals here who are siding with their Russian comrades. How does that saying go? "May you live in interesting times".

I see civil war in Canada's future with our ever growing "I hate America" open immigration policy. Soon there will be more "I hate America" people in Canuckistan than people who view America as a historical ally with a shared history. But I guess that is what happens when you have an "open no questions asked the more you are out there in left field the more you will fit in" immigration policy like we have here in Canuckistan.

Not that it matters that much, Liberals disarmed themselves a long time ago, but just thought you'd be interested to know the ever growing hatred coming from your northern borders. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Why would anyone object to a country having a missile defense system? What threat does that pose to other nations? Doesn't every nation have a right to their own defense?

Star Wars was ultimately, a first strike weapon. If it actually worked, it would allow us to consider the possibility of a winnable nuclear war. An ABS system has a greater chance of success in a more limited exchange of nukes.

That's very destablizing.

Of course, talk about nuking Poland is hot air, nothing more. Russia is now the 5' Napolean, barking loud, but not having much to back it.

I checked the original Interfax article here (in Russian). It seems to be the only article, and here's the direct translation:

Moscow, Aug 15. INTERFAX.RU - If Poland allows to place an American missile-defense base on Polish territory, it might become (some would say "it will become" as the language is not clear) a target of strike by the opposite forces, said Colonel General Anatoly Nogovitsyn, the deputy of the Army Headquarters chief.

"The United States establish the anti-missile defense to protect the United States, not Poland. And when Poland allows the base to set up, they're placing themselves as a target for a potential strike. It's 100%. Such targets are destroyed as the first priority" - said Nogovitsyn, quoting the agreement between USA and Poland.

In my opinion what Nogovitsyn said is very reasonable. The place you set up your first line of defense will be attacked first. Poland authorities said exactly the same long time ago, and that's the reason why they have been insisting the USA provide them new weapons (esp. anti-missile and anti-aircraft) as a part of this agreement.

I also fail to see any "anger", "cannot go unpunished" statement or any reference to Russian military doctrine. All I see is that he mentioned there are obvious risks in this decision. But every political decision is risky, and often making no decision is even more risky. It is also obvious that U.S. paid a hefty price to compensate Poland for this risk, and they considered it acceptable.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

>Should we abandon our friends and allies in order to keep from pissing-off Russia?

Thats right, Iran called for the destruction of poland just last week......

until thats the case.......we shouldnt piss off russia, unless of course they put missles in mexico or canada.

g

Bloody Poland again? I say we prevent WWIII and Nuke the bastards ourselves! Look what happened last time we went to their aid.

No one is going to there aide the US is using them for thier own self intrest of the missle shield.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."