SkyPiggie

Texas Executes Mexican

No I vote we send them to your town so you can be the LORDS personal AVENGING ANGEL and you can fill em with lead:S:S:S.

Jeanne thanks but I am no Angel, but I would do the work necessary to bring him the justice he earned himself.;):|

You are a hero. The last one I heard of was Rambo.
:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Your poll is joke right??? The only problem i have with it is that we waited so long to kill him! Do you realize we taxpayers spent about 1 million dollars to keep that piece of shit alive and kill him. But if he would have done the crime in cali. or any other liberal state he would still be alive. I love the great state of Texas!B|

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

the poll should have had a third option - retry with the consular support.

The question really isn't about should this guy get executed, but how do we feel about Americans getting arrested and executed in other nations? Are we ok with kangaroo courts there?

No I vote we send them to your town so you can be the LORDS personal AVENGING ANGEL and you can fill em with lead:S:S:S.

Jeanne thanks but I am no Angel, but I would do the work necessary to bring him the justice he earned himself.;):|

You are a hero. The last one I heard of was Rambo.
:|

I could care less what you think.

Would you consider him spending his life in prison watching TV and eating well a deserving sentence.

Or maybe just sending him back to Mexico so they could set him free?

I wonder if you have kids, or loved ones, and what you would do if they were to meet the same horrible fate as those two girls.

People seem to always want others to think highly of them, and regard them as being extremely fair, just and humane, including the forgiveness of anything done to them and theirs.

It is actually rare that these same people live up to their beliefs.

I don't care what people think, and would do what I know in my heart to be what is just.

If I personally would not do anything to make sure the perpetrators of such an offense against my loved ones received what they truly deserved, I would be be undeserving of life itself.

YMMV

Man, vent your anger. You are not born to save the world. At least, I do think so. Who called you to be saver?

If everyone would think like you, the entire world just would be a battle field. An eye for an eye ... until we're blind.

Leave that to Arnie, Rambo etc. - they look better in TV. And more entertaining.

And leave the rest for justice. It's been created for that.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Well done Texas...well done.

Hmmm your branch of christianity sure seems to be lacking in so many of the christlike virtues.... like foregiveness...humility....etc.

Go take the place of those two girls then you can dole out all the forgiveness you want!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Go take the place of those two girls then you can dole out all the forgiveness you want!

GO .. by all means and take the place of the innocent man who is convicted of murder for a crime he really did not commit.. and sit on Death Row for 20 years waiting to be executed for that crime.

On the other hand.. I do believe this guy was guilty of the crime... I would rather him spend 60 years or so contemplating his crimes in Federal Pound Him in the ASS Prison... where he gets more meaningfull punishment on a daily basis.

GO .. by all means and take the place of the innocent man who is convicted of murder for a crime he really did not commit.. and sit on Death Row for 20 years waiting to be executed for that crime.

On the other hand.. I do believe this guy was guilty of the crime... I would rather him spend 60 years or so contemplating his crimes in Federal Pound Him in the ASS Prison... where he gets more meaningfull punishment on a daily basis.

If I were the innocent person convicted of murder, I think I'd rather sit on death row and eventually take my injection than take it up the rump for the next 60 (eww) years. Why would you say it's wrong to take a person's life (because he *could* not be guilty) but it's okay to take that same person who might not be guilty and put him in a situation where he'll take that kind of daily abuse? I don't get it.

Personally, I'd rather die than be raped damn near every day. But maybe that's just me.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

>It also says " thou shalt NOT kill", and it says nothing about letting sick
>merderers like Medellin go home to Mexico as a reward for his efforts.

Well, to be fair, it also says nothing about letting the state of Texas execute a foreign citizen for a crime he committed in the US. (Which is the problem trying to use the Bible for purposes it was not intended for.)

Why? A Mexican lawyer can't represent in a US court.

The question really isn't about should this guy get executed, but how do we feel about Americans getting arrested and executed in other nations? Are we ok with kangaroo courts there?

I'll admit I don't know about any current issues like that. I can tell you that I was all about that kid Michael Fay getting his punishment in Singapore back in 1994.

If a US citizen is visiting a foreign country, they are NOT protected by US laws, they are subject to the laws of the land they are visiting.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Because we signed a treaty saying we would.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Well this thread shoes why we still have the death penalty to be sure...

"the world court has no standing in Texas."

I only hope the rest of the planet gives us equal consideration >:( - and we still wonder why so much of the planet hates us?????

If just ONCE we could stand by the civilised agreements we make with other nations.

The death penalty is wrong - and I despise the fact that my government feels the need to bloody my hands as they see fit.
[:/]

I don't believe consular support means having a mexican lawyer in a US court. The consulate is capable of hiring necessary assets. Retry him, give him another death verdict, and there's no longer any question that procedure was followed.

I'll admit I don't know about any current issues like that. I can tell you that I was all about that kid Michael Fay getting his punishment in Singapore back in 1994.

If a US citizen is visiting a foreign country, they are NOT protected by US laws, they are subject to the laws of the land they are visiting.

Yes, but you want that citizen to enjoy the stated process for that country, don't you? Though is that even enough - if someone sticks a kilo in your bag and you're caught at the airport, do you deserve to die or be in jail for the next 30 years? Caning may hurt, but it's over quickly. You can learn and move on. You can't if you're dead or at retirement age by the time they release you.

Other issues with process involve police making suspects sign affidavitts in a foreign language, with text that does not equal their testimony, but rather a confession.

Very nice, sir John.

If you'd read a bit into the case, you'd find this worthless sonofabitch didn't request consular support until after his conviction.

:S

Always interesting to see Christians attacked with regards to the death penalty. WHen those attacking Christians can tell me why Aquinas was wrong, perhaps they'll be more credible.

:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

If I were the innocent person convicted of murder, I think I'd rather sit on death row and eventually take my injection than take it up the rump for the next 60 (eww) years. Why would you say it's wrong to take a person's life (because he *could* not be guilty) but it's okay to take that same person who might not be guilty and put him in a situation where he'll take that kind of daily abuse? I don't get it.

Personally, I'd rather die than be raped damn near every day. But maybe that's just me.

I would posit that MOST of the people who go to prison... really do belong there for crimes against other people.

Prison is what it is and I believe strongly in punishing those who prey on others.

My feeling on the death penalty is quite simple.. its WRONG for any civilized nation to KILL its criminals. I do not want to be a party to the sanctioned murder of even a reprehensible human being. That is just to fast a way out for them. Let them feel the punishing force of the government for the rest of their unnatural life.

With no death penalty.. there is NO possibility of a state sponsored murder of an innocent.
THere also needs to be segregation of the very worst criminals to keep them from harming non violent criminals.

If you'd read a bit into the case, you'd find this worthless sonofabitch didn't request consular support until after his conviction.

Now, don't you think a competent lawyer might have brought it up earlier? Do you think that just maybe, if he had been informed that he had this right that he might have had a competent lawyer?

It seems to me he was guilty and under Texan law it probably would have ended the same anyway but due process is about more than the end result.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

The Vienna convention is about granting extra rights to aliens arrested in your own country in return for those same rights being granted to your own citizens arrested abroad.

I think these two guys can be more than happy that the American consulate was called after their arrest in Tijuana.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Where was his right to due process under the law infringed?

Read the article. He did not get consular counsel, contrary to a 1963 treaty to which the USA is signatory (the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, which according to the Constitution, becomes the "supreme law of the land").

Cry me a fuckin' river. :S

It's not like he was denied counsel and forced to stand trial with no defense. He was denied a technicality.

Answer one simple question: Do you think that, had he been given this "consular counsel," the facts of the case would have been altered and a jury would have said, "Nope, don't think he did it"?
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

"I'm sorry my actions caused you pain. I hope this brings you the closure that you seek. Never harbor hate," Medellin, 33, told those gathered to watch him die. He was pronounced dead at 9:57 p.m. local time.

He admitted to raping, beating, and strangling two young women ...

I wonder if he would have stopped the attack on the women if either of them had made such a poignant appeal to his good and gentle nature? :S

Who the fuck was he saying that to, anyway? Probably to family members. Certainly not to the TWO DEAD GIRLS.

But the court, a branch of the United Nations, has no power to enforce its rulings. A spokesman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a Republican, has said that "the world court has no standing in Texas."

Why should this branch of the U.N. be any different from the rest of it? :D
Imaginations on fire

But the court, a branch of the United Nations, has no power to enforce its rulings. A spokesman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a Republican, has said that "the world court has no standing in Texas."

Right. A Mexican enters Texas illegally, and murders two teenage American girls. He then demands that he be treated according to Mexican law? I don't fucking think so.

He did the crimes in Texas. He can pay the Texas price for those crimes.

If he wants Mexican justice, he should have stayed in Mexico.

I think he wanted the justice the USA agreed to when it signed the 1963 Consular Convention.

I think the girls wanted the justice of NOT BEING RAPED, AND BEING ALLOWED TO GO ON LIVING.

Why is it that you cry for this piece fucking rotting shit, but not for the girls?

Again, who fuckin' really cares that he didn't get "consular counsel"?! HE GOT AN OTHERWISE FAIR TRIAL, JUST LIKE ANYONE NATIVE TO THIS COUNTRY WOULD GET. TOUGH SHIT if he didn't get some stupid-ass IRRELEVANT technicality!

I would LOVE it if you were obligated to make this bullshit case you are making to the parents of the girls.
Imaginations on fire

Death is such an easy way out. Wouldnt locking the guy up in a 4ft by 4ft room with no windows or communication with people for the rest of his life be a much better punishment? Plus the government wouldnt have to murder people (even with the "due process" which leaves innocent for dead as well)

Uh, wait a minute.

Do you really think that the people who want to bitch about this "denial of due process" would be OK with deliberately making the condemned's life in prison torture?

In the immortal words of Gob Bluth: "COME on!!" >:(
Imaginations on fire

You can't pretend that the FAIR TRIAL he got--albeit not with the "consular support" he was "supposed" to be due--was anything like a "kangaroo court."

Attempting to pull a fast one like that just shows how disingenuous you are willing to be in this discussion.

It's not a choice of, "If we do this to him here, we deserve our citizens to be tried by kangaroo courts abroad," since we did NOT subject him to an unfair trial.

He was convicted by a jury. Just think of him as though he had been any other native of the U.S., and you'll realize he got all that anyone need be entitled to as far as defense, and a fair trial. So what if he didn't get this stupid technical provision given to him.
Imaginations on fire