Conundrum

You/your s/o's fetus tests positive for Down Syndrome - Do you abort?

Well?

Rough call. Depends on alot of things. Can you (the person) afford the healthcare and time involved. Many people do keep them. I'm personally against abortion, BUT, I haven't had to walk in those shoes. :|http://www.downsyndrome.com/
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Well?

Can you clarify the point in the pregnancy? That could affect the decision. I would tend to think it's cruel to the child to have it, but once the fetus approaches viability, it's equally cruel to abort.

It's an awful call to have to make. I wonder if one really knows ahead of time.

NO - I would not want to abort the pregnancy. Seems mean and cruel.

Interesting. I think it would be mean and cruel to knowingly have a child with DS.

Well, that's certainly the other side of the coin, which makes it difficult. I lean towards thinking the individual in question would rather have lived a Down's life over no life at all. But that may be just silly sentiment talking. :P:D

. . =(_8^(1)

Interesting. I think it would be mean and cruel to knowingly have a child with DS.

This is the difficult thing. Children with Down's can have a lot of trouble with peer acceptance, behavioral issues, etc. But adults with Down's are typically happy and joyful with life.

Had Conor turned out to have some defect that would have made life for him unbearable for use, then I would not have objected to my wife's decision. Or I would have tried to convince her in some circumstances, such as Trisomy 18 that is pretty much invariably quickly fatal.

If things like cardiac anomalies were fairly evident, it woul dcertainly be worthy of reconsideration.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This is the difficult thing. Children with Down's can have a lot of trouble with peer acceptance, behavioral issues, etc. But adults with Down's are typically happy and joyful with life.

I know what you're saying here, but that sounds typical of any person.

A good friend's baby tested positive for DS in the womb and was born perfectly healthy 8 weeks ago.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

I would not.

Trisomy 21 (Downs syndrome) is a mutation, but is a survivable mutation. There are medical and cognitive problems with Down's syndrome, but overall, these children can grow to be happy adults. As a parent, they require A LOT more care. . . but my personal feelings are that there are NO GUARANTEE with life at all. If you get pregnant, that child might go to Harvard or not. And who's to say that should be a mark of "success."

And.... with the advances in our knowledge in genetics, this might be something that can be "treated" in the future. (I have NO idea how we would correct every cell.... but that's just cuz I don't yet have that knowledge)

When my wife had her first ultrasound, they called her back, and said she needs to come in for a second ultrasound, that there was an echogenic focus on the left ventrical of the heart, and 'could be' downs. We went in to the second ultrasound, and they did not see any other indicators that it was DS. Not believing in murder, we opted to skip the amnio test, due to the risks involved. How horrid would it have been to have the amnio cause a miscarriage, only to have the test come back negative.

skip forward a few months... Laurens head popped out, and I just saw this flap of skin *i was both coach and delivery help, so was in two places at once* My heart sunk when i saw the skin, thinking it was a huge layer on back of neck... saw the dr. cleaning it, so i leaned in for a closer look, and saw my child's gorgeous face! .. Instant love, and a healthy baby girl.

Down syndrom or not, we would have kept the baby, and given her a chance in the world. No everyone can do that though.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

What he said. I can't really say how I'd feel in such a situation. In some of the more severe problems, I think the wish to abort would be pretty easy for me to reach. Down's Syndrome would be tougher because my admittedly limited interactions with people so afflicted have shown them to be (or at least seem) far happier than most of us "healthy" people.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

That because you judge "quality of life" from a very myopic point of view
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Me and the 55% of voters, apparently.

How long through the pregnacy can this type of information be gathered?

If it is too far along, termination is against the law is it not?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

My daughter was told about her fetus having Downs Syndrome during pregnancy, and she had the baby girl about 4-5 months later.

It was the greatest thing she has ever done.

That Downs baby girl is the most wonderful human being I have ever encountered. Whata great blessing.

My other daughter says that if she coul;d be sure to have a Downs baby, she would get pregnant today.

You cannot imagine what a wonderful blessing you are going to have.

I love my little Lindsay ( now 10 yrs old and all of 45 pounds) more than any person I have ever known. PLEASE, if you are told you will have a Downs baby, go through with it...you will NEVER regret it....absolutely NEVER.

Bill Cole

selective termination
of a fetus based on diagnostic intervention

is NOT the way to go. IMHO

upon conception, a couple, and primarily a woman, may face a tough decision, as it is.
Hopefully most pregnacies are welcome, but in reality not all, are.[:/]

However once a choice is made to continue with the creation of this person, any "news" or " diagnosis" or "curve ball" which may come to be,, should not be used as a reason to "bail", on parental responsibility.

Regardless of the seriousness of the issue.

frankly , Down Syndrome, while a real challenge , is not the worst malady with which a child could be born.
with proper pediatric care , and follow up, as the child grows, and with Love and extra educational attention, from the family as well as any supporting educators, Speech therapists, Physiologists, etc,,, the DS members of our families, communities, and lives , CAN be happy healthy and as time goes by, productive and contributing members...
We are watching with joy as one of our neices, teaches us So , each time we see her.

Ella is now 5 and is forming words, and can communicate in many non verbal ways, and is a real sweetie. She will visit with various family members, and gives great hugs, and has sparkling eyes...
When she played the part of Cindy Lou Who in a recent school play production , of Suessical the Musical, she was the Hit of the Show...B|;)

signed .
a Proud Uncle Jim

I don't see it as cruel to bring a child with Down Syndrome into the world. I just think I'd be a horrible parent for the kiddo. It would be cruel to a child with DS to get me for a parent, so I'd probably terminate the pregnancy. Is that rude? :S

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Yes that is true, i would hazzard to saythat the vast majority of people here have had no real contact with anyone that has Trisomy 21. and therefore their votes are kinda wasted
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Meet Melissa. She's 20 years old. She was never expected to live past 1, has had a multitude of open heart surgeries, and is mentally retarded due to one of those surgeries. On a scale of 1 to 10 in MR terms she's a 7. Not all DS kids are but there are certain surgeries where the blood flow must be clamped off, and the result is usually severe MR. She's not mine, she was adopted by Rox when she was 6 mos old. I've known her for about 2 1/2 years.

She'll forever be a 3 yo. She still believes in Santa and the Easter Bunny. She requires full time 24/7 care and probably won't live much past 40.

Could/would I have done what Rox did? I'm ashamed to say that I wouldn't have. She's alot of work. There are programs in our county for her but the funding has been put on hold by the state.

If you're considering having a Down Syndrome child know a few things...

They are loving and gentle and wouldn't hurt a soul...most of the time. As they get older they can get a bit dramatic and agressive. You will probably end up being the full time caregiver for the rest of your life. This means finding a sitter for everything you want to do that doesn't involve small kids. Big commitment.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I don't know every states specific laws on abortion, but I do know that second trimester abortion is not illegal in CA. Obviously, first trimester abortion is also not illegal. I'm not sure how far along you are when you can do testing.

I offer tests in both the first and second trimester if they come into my clinic in that timeframe. (although there are some things that interfere with doing the testing - but my clinic is trying to work on the solutions for that)

The first trimester is a combination of blood hormones in the mom (hcg and PAPP-A) and ultrasound looking at the nuchal translucency.

Positive results can be offered a CVS (chorionic villi sampling)

The second trimester (15-20w) is typically a "quad screen" (hcg, estradiol, afp and inhibin) with a followup ultrasound at 18-20wks and might recommend an amniocenteisis

My fetus, I would alert the media.

If I were a woman, I believe I would never abort a pregnancy unless two doctors could convince me that continuing the gestation would kill us both.

My s.o's fetus or any other woman?: her body, her decision, regardless of whatever the reason might be, Down diagnosis or whatever.

Blows my mind that the abortion debate really doesn't start and end that simply. My body, my decision, your body, your decision.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts