DFWAJG

I'm thinking of packing a piece.

you should get the X26c from taser international. i have one and its very effective and legal to conceal. i was thinking of packing a piece but its too technical, the x26 simplified my security needs.

A taser is more effective and less technical than a handgun? I don't think so.

A taser is a one-shot weapon, and has to be used up-close only. If you miss, you're then out of luck. If the target is wearing heavy clothing, the barbs may not penetrate. And a taser requires batteries that must be kept fresh.

A firearm carries multiple shots, is a point and click weapon, good out to ranges far beyond what a taser can reach, punches through any clothing, and requires no batteries. It can sit in your car for decades, and still be ready to shoot at a moment's notice.

You are certainly free to determine your own self-defense methods, but I disagree with your analysis.

Definitely. I would recommend a glock too, or one of the other double action only autos. No external safeties and easier trigger than a double action revolver. Just keep a round chambered, only unholster when you need to use it. I recently moved my glock to second string for a S&W M&P.

Take jujutsu!!!

with that being said I carry a browning 9mm. not too big not too small. I can hide it if I want to and it packs enough punch to get the job done.
For you I would say go gun shopping and pick up as many guns as you can find. figure out what you like. this gun will serve more than self defense so look for that you enjoy and in a proper caliber. Any body at a gun shop will be able to help you with that

Also I would recomend buying a ruger mark II for practice. it is a .22 cal. They are fun to shoot and you can put 500 rounds through one for around 10 bucks
you still need to shoot your other gun too. the 22 is just a cheap and fun way to practice

Some good comments here...

If you decide that you should carry or own a pistol, I think the following is REALLY helpful.

- Find a range that will let you rent guns.
- Take a defensive pistol course with a reputable instructor. They should be able to help you try out pistols as well.
- Buy a gun you like and that is reliable.
- Take the CHL course and get the license.

You're not REQUIRED to carry once you have the license. You have the OPTION to. After shooting, all the classes, etc... you'll have time to think about whether or not you'll actually use the gun to defend yourself. Even if you decide not to, you'll have some training, fun shooting, and options should you change your mind.
Oh, hello again!

WHat do you recommend?

Glock model 32. 357 Sig.;) 13+ 1. Extra magazine (or 2) if needed.;)http://www.usglock.com/index_files/glock32.htm;)

Agree with a glock. Disagree with calibur choice though. I own a glock 22 (.40S&W). It holds 15+1 and is easy to hide in the back with a shirt over it. If you find thats too big try a glock 23. Same calibur smaller gun (only holds 13+1), but the cool thing about glocks is you can always put a higher cap mag in a smaller gun (have a 29 rnd super high cap) as long as the calibur stays the same. Hope this helps.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/glock23.html
Best of both worlds. 40sw or 357 sig>http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Auto-Pistols/Glock_31.htm;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

This is Calfornia, so don't bother worrying about the availability of full capacity (ie, > 10) magazines. You can't buy them and it's probably not worth the risk of importing one and pretending you bought it before 2001.

The country sheriff decides on CCWs - out near Davis you have better than a snowballs chance in hell, but that still might not be much of one. So conceal carry may not be a legal option. If your life is on the line, maybe it's an illegal option to consider. If matters are that bad, probably should be taking other steps too.

I don't think it's too wise to be posting this here, where this "stalker" seems to be stalking you.

Come on, ya gotta give the stalker and even chance.:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Amazon asked the important question.

Are you willing to KILL?

On a personal level (and don't answer this here), are you willing to pull the trigger?

If you carry, you must be willing to accept that end point. Kill someone. Dead.

If you can, then you need to have the proper training. Just having one on your person is NOT enough.

The which gun discussion is tertiary to those two issues.

Hi, I carry often, I have a permit.
If your going to carry you should, also carry a flash light and a cell phone.

Usualy the first person to call 911 gets to play the victom, " help, help I thought he was going to kill me" Remember you have to prove fear of life or great bodily harm to a jury of 12. Once you have pulled the trigger it has all just started.

You had better be prepaired for what is going to come from the police and the dead guys family when they try to sue.

there has been several people posting about caliber and 13+ 1 or 15+1 remember that their atterny is going to paint the picture that you were a loose cannon running around with thousands of rounds and a menance to socity. SO...isuggess a small revolver. Simple to use and a close quarters weapon, easy to carry. When I say small I mean Snub nose, they come in 357, 38 special +p and the newest one is 327 federal mag.

I would advise you to go for 2 in the chest 1 in the head. Not 3 in the center of mass.
" Officer I kept shooting untill the threat was over"
Remember to scream STOP as you draw, that will also help with any witness.
Shooting some one 3 times in the chest with a 357 sig or a 9 mm will not always kil them, they will be the toughfest witness against you in the court room, so two in the chest and one in the HEAD seems to work very effectly.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

what STATE<<<

I can appricate where your going, but I personaly couldn't care less, I carry everywheres.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

but better yet not to announce ahead of time your intent to kill and then make up a lot of false evidence, as he has done.

A pretty decent investigator would turn up these postings.

Good point. OK. I'm going back to watching the vagina diaries/monolouges. Now, that's some scary shit.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Leave those oversize or fad guns those Soldier of Fortune magazines advertise to the creepy magazine collectors to salivate over. Get a weapon that's comfortable and manageable for you.

Take a class that not only teaches you how to use it but also practices escalation of force up to the point you will have to use it. Practice these scenarios actively to include the drawing of the weapon and use of it; it's useless doing the drills in your head. do it at the range. Practice it often. If the threat is real, you know what to do and have the confidence needed to prevent hesitation. It will be second nature.
If you are worried about your ability to "use the weapon against someone" as is quoted a lot in this thread, the practice will help a lot. So put that fear behind you. It's useless and negatively impacts your ability to.

forget using OC spray. there's a reason those of us that uses it has to get sprayed. It may not stop them. It will likely get on you. You still have to wrestle with him after the fact.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I have some questions, and advice for you.

PM me.

also beware that the person could once again be reading the advice you seek.

That's a good point.

One would hope that he realizes that she is getting serious about being able to defend herself, is too prickly of a specimen of prey, and will move on and forget her.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Some good comments here...

If you decide that you should carry or own a pistol, I think the following is REALLY helpful.

- Find a range that will let you rent guns.
- Take a defensive pistol course with a reputable instructor. They should be able to help you try out pistols as well.
- Buy a gun you like and that is reliable.
- Take the CHL course and get the license.

You're not REQUIRED to carry once you have the license. You have the OPTION to. After shooting, all the classes, etc... you'll have time to think about whether or not you'll actually use the gun to defend yourself. Even if you decide not to, you'll have some training, fun shooting, and options should you change your mind.

That's a really excellent, well-considered post. I am all for the "give yourself as many options as possible; you don't have to use them necessarily" mindset.

I don't have plans to get a motorcycle in the immediate future, but I plan to get the license this fall. Same deal. Good to have because at the moment you decide you really want/need it, you don't want to have to then go about submitting the applications...
Imaginations on fire

Pack a piece of what?

Dog doo.

If a rapist comes to rape you, smear it all over your face and genitals, and he won't want to bother*.

* Unless he's the really sick kind, who likes that, and then you're really in trouble, I guess.
Imaginations on fire

Amazon asked the important question.

Are you willing to KILL?

On a personal level (and don't answer this here), are you willing to pull the trigger?

If you carry, you must be willing to accept that end point. Kill someone. Dead.

While I agree, I have always been completely baffled by those who say they could not.

I mean, isn't it clear that it comes down to, "If you can't/won't kill, you die?!" And what does that say about how much someone values her life?

If she won't kill the man trying to kill her, isn't a woman saying that despite what he is doing, his life is of equal value and sacredness to hers? Otherwise, why act as though it should be protected?

"I can't bring myself to kill the person who is viciously trying to kill me; trying to take me away from my kids/husband/parents/brothers/sisters/friends. I just so abhorr the taking of life that I will defer and allow mine to be taken because I won't take my attacker's."

I just don't get it. I really do believe it boils down that way. If you think your attacker does not forfeit his right to safely keep his life even though he is trying to take yours, then yes, you will die without fighting. But if you value your life over that of your attacker, as I (personally) feel a normal person should, why would you have any qualms about killing him (so long as you recognize that your life is in actual danger)?

Please don't hand me the "violence begets violence" malarky: if a woman is attacked, and kills her attacker, that does not "perpetuate" violence because she is not going to go out and in turn start preying on others the way her attacker did to her. It ends with her, as it should.
Imaginations on fire

Hi, I carry often, I have a permit.
If your going to carry you should, also carry a flash light and a cell phone.

Usualy the first person to call 911 gets to play the victom, " help, help I thought he was going to kill me" Remember you have to prove fear of life or great bodily harm to a jury of 12. Once you have pulled the trigger it has all just started.

I agree about carrying a handy cellular phone.

However, I don't think it's quite accurate to say that "you have to prove fear for your life" -- you may have to demonstrate that a reasonable person would have feared for her life in the situation you faced. It's not about proof of anything, it's about getting others (usually either the cops, the DA, or a grand jury well before it's a jury of 12) to say, "Yeah, I'd'a done the same thing -- look at what she was facing!"

You had better be prepaired for what is going to come from the police and the dead guys family when they try to sue.

Get the NRA book, "NRA Guide to Personal Defense Outside the Home." It covers these issues well (as well as tactical decisions, what to do when the police arrive, etc.).

there has been several people posting about caliber and 13+ 1 or 15+1 remember that their atterny is going to paint the picture that you were a loose cannon running around with thousands of rounds and a menance to socity. SO...isuggess a small revolver.

I don't agree. I think that semi-auto handguns of the type like the Glocks, SAs, Kimbers, S&Ws, are common enough that they are eminently defensible for self defense use. One avenue of defending them is the fact that they are in widespread use by police departments. I wouldn't recommend going around with a 33 round mag in your Glock 22, but the standard 15+1 should not cause you legal trouble in this day and age.

I even read a Massad Ayoob article some months ago in which he gave ideas for defense against an anti-gun DA when you are chastised for carrying spare magazines! It would be well for everyone to look that article up and print it.
Imaginations on fire

what STATE
I can appricate where your going, but I personaly couldn't care less, I carry everywheres.

:)

Haha! Marky Mark just said that in the movie I just watched -- "We Own the Night". And his character is a cop!
Imaginations on fire