JohnRich

Purple Heart Awards For Mental Stress?

This study did not state that no treatment is best for persistant PTSD that plagues a client months or years later.

This research says that treatment can interfere with the natural recovery mechanisms immediately following trauma. There is research to back this up. Not much study has been done in this area. I'd be interested in seeing more.

If you think about it, the human brain is capable, much of the time of healing itself, immediately following a traumatic event. Is the only avenue to hire a therapist. I think not. PTSD symptoms often do go away in the weeks and months following trauma

I have also read a lot of research stating the opposite, that immediate treatment is best. So, which do we believe. Probably more research is needed.....

If you think about it, the human brain is capable, much of the time of healing itself, immediately following a traumatic event. Is the only avenue to hire a therapist. I think not. PTSD symptoms often do go away in the weeks and months following trauma

As a therapist, I'm sure you're aware that healing is not always synonymous with symptoms going away. The traumatic effects may recede from immediate awareness but, unless the root causes are treated, the symptoms will very likely recur, often in times of stress.

I'm sure you're aware that healing is not always synonymous with symptoms going away. The traumatic effects may recede from immediate awareness but, unless the root causes are treated, the symptoms will very likely recur, often in times of stress.

Many mental health problems rarely go away entirely. A lot of people talk about closure, in their search for healing. I have a real problem with that. Seldom do problems just disappear. Much of the time a person can learn to manage their issues though.

In PTSD there are many cues that can trigger past feelings of trauma. Recongizing those cues and then learning to control anxiety, fear, anger, etc. is a big part of therapy. No, the behaviors may not go away entirely, but if they become manageable, that is success.

It's important to note that many people who show initial signs of PTSD do recover on their own, immediately following trauma.

I made a low turn a couple years back I smashed into the ground with incredible force. I think a good PLF saved me that day. It was over a month before I was able to jump again.

Those first jumps back were difficult. Maybe I didn't have full blown PTSD, but I did have a lot of symptoms. I was thinking about that accident over and over again. I was having trouble sleeping. There was a huge amount of anxiety as I worked my way back into the sport. Little by little it went away.

Probably most people who experience trauma will show some signs of PTSD in the days or weeks following. If these signs persist, and cause problems in your life, it would be good to see a therapist. The problems may very well last years and years.

For a long time the game plan in therapy was, if a person experienced trauma, it was important to get them into therapy, right away, so they could make a fast recovery.

The research that I mentioned earlier states that therapy can interfere with natural recovery mechanisms. Whether or not that is true I don't know. I'd like to see more research.

Most therapists base their treatment on their clinical experience plus the latest research. This is constantly changing as we learn new things.

The treatment and medication that is the latest fad today will likely be outdated in the near future.

I'm not even sure how to properly word my thoughts on this one. To the OP, I vote no. The Purple Heart is awarded for being wounded in combat by an instrument of war by direct action of an armed enemy engagement, that requires medical treatment.

The PH is already abused quite often by people who end up getting it for scrapes and bruises. We refer to those as "John Kerry wounds" or "cheap" Purple Hearts, and it degrades the value from those who earn them with sacrifice of life, limb, or eyesight.

However, severe TBI, or service connected PTSD are not to be taken lightly. Any soldier who has helped clean up the aftermath of a suicide attack on a crowded market or had an IED strike on their convoy is going to have some level of PTSD. For some though, Chronic PTSD with multiple contributing events and different components such as bearing whitness to carnage, experiencing extreme guilt (real or imagined), or having violence vested upon yourself by the enemy, the PTSD can be debilitating. It can affect your ability to maintain relationships, employment, manage finances, make you vulnerable to substance abuse.

Treatment is vital, and perhaps even a medal of some sort, but not a PH. In order to maintain the integrity and prestige of the PH, I'd suggest coming up with an alternate type medal, one precedent below the PH for the people who's lives have been permanently affected or "disabled" by service connected PTSD or TBI.

Or something to that effect maybe.

Para_Frog

Your link isn't working for me so here is a link to The Army Human Resources awards branch

https://www.hrc.army.mil/tagd/purple%20heart

Examples of injuries or wounds which clearly do not justify award of the Purple Heart are as follows:

-Frostbite (excluding severe frostbite requiring hospitalization from 7 December 1941 to 22 August 1951).
-Trench foot or immersion foot.
-Heat stroke.
-Food poisoning not caused by enemy agents.
-Chemical, biological, or nuclear agents not released by the enemy.
-Battle fatigue.
-Disease not directly caused by enemy agents.
-Accidents, to include explosive, aircraft, vehicular, and other accidental wounding not related to or caused by enemy action.
-Self-inflicted wounds, except when in the heat of battle and not involving gross negligence.
-Post traumatic stress disorders.
-Airborne (for example, parachute/jump) injuries not caused by enemy action.
-Hearing loss and tinnitus (for example: ringing in the ears).
-Mild traumatic brain injury or concussions that do not either result in loss of consciousness or restriction from full duty for a period greater than 48 hours due to persistent signs, symptoms, or physical findings of impaired brain function.
-Abrasions and lacerations (unless of a severity to be incapacitating).
-Bruises (unless caused by direct impact of the enemy weapon and severe enough to require treatment by a medical officer).
-Soft tissue injuries (for example, ligament, tendon or muscle strains, sprains, and so forth).
-First degree burns.

It's commonly referred to as an enemy marksmanship badge :S

Some IEDs just aren't detectable and with bullets, when it rains, sometimes you just get wet.

But when the Purple Heart was introduced in the Revolutinary War, it was basically the Medal of Honor of that time. To me the PH shows that you took one for the team.

I see PTSD more as a condition (illness isn't the right word) than a wound. Take what I say about it with a grain of salt, but I have a VA rating for PTSD, as well as a PH for being wounded.

Actually, I think you can line up everyone with PTSD and ask them who thinks PTSD should meet criteria for the PH, then everyone who raises their hand can be charged with malingering and fraud because they are full of shit :P

PTSD is more of like a survivors guilt type thing, so giving me a medal for doing whatever I did that has me so torn up inside is going to make me feel even worse.

RopeaDope

It's commonly referred to as an enemy marksmanship badge :S

Some IEDs just aren't detectable and with bullets, when it rains, sometimes you just get wet.

But when the Purple Heart was introduced in the Revolutinary War, it was basically the Medal of Honor of that time. To me the PH shows that you took one for the team.

I see PTSD more as a condition (illness isn't the right word) than a wound. Take what I say about it with a grain of salt, but I have a VA rating for PTSD, as well as a PH for being wounded.

Actually, I think you can line up everyone with PTSD and ask them who thinks PTSD should meet criteria for the PH, then everyone who raises their hand can be charged with malingering and fraud because they are full of shit :P

PTSD is more of like a survivors guilt type thing, so giving me a medal for doing whatever I did that has me so torn up inside is going to make me feel even worse.

The left has such disdain, a PH is only a verification that thE military shouldn't exist.
Unless you are talking about John Kerry, then it IS the MOH.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

RopeaDope

A PH is the silver medal of gun fighting. :D

Here I thought it was the splinter medal.

Or the medal you get for being the worst at dodging.:P:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Please don't denigrate the PH award.

The bravery of Conner, who died in 1998 at the age of 79, is well-documented. The first lieutenant, who was wounded seven times, earned an incredible four Silver Stars, four Bronze Stars, seven Purple Hearts and the Distinguished Service Cross for his World War II heroism. But it was what he did on Jan. 24, 1945, near Houssen, France, that elevated his courage to mythical status ... Conner, who on one day in 1945 killed 50 German soldiers and saved his storied battalion on the front lines in France.

SOURCE: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/04/battle-joined-army-panel-backs-wwii-vets-posthumous-bid-for-medal-honor/

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Please don't denigrate the PH award.

The bravery of Conner, who died in 1998 at the age of 79, is well-documented. The first lieutenant, who was wounded seven times, earned an incredible four Silver Stars, four Bronze Stars, seven Purple Hearts and the Distinguished Service Cross for his World War II heroism. But it was what he did on Jan. 24, 1945, near Houssen, France, that elevated his courage to mythical status ... Conner, who on one day in 1945 killed 50 German soldiers and saved his storied battalion on the front lines in France.

SOURCE: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/04/battle-joined-army-panel-backs-wwii-vets-posthumous-bid-for-medal-honor/

There is the apocryphal tale of the platoon in Vietnam that came upon a ville, where they were able to obtain fresh eggs and local cannabis.

After smoking and eating, they became silly and engaged in a food fight that got out of hand, the Medic wound up being involved.

A couple of weeks later, one of the grunts who was treated became the recipient of the Purple Heart. It seems that the egg inflicted injury was logged by the Medic as treatment for "shell fragment in eye."

After Tarawa, General Julian Smith was at a loss as to the issuance of medals. He felt that, given the level of gallantry that was the norm by the Marines who conducted the attack, singling out those who may be more deserving than others was an exercise in futility.

As far as medals that brought dishonor by their very issuance, Lyndon Johnson's Silver Star comes to mind. A PR officer, LBJ wound up as a passenger on a bomber on a milk run, which returned to base for mechanical reasons before nearing Japanese airspace. Nevertheless, the citation had the aircraft being attacked by numerous Japanese aircraft, and the young Lieutenant, for unspecified reasons, manning one of the machine guns and blazing away with wild abandon.

Of course, nobody else on the plane recalled the incident, and the aircraft logs indicate otherwise.

Anyhow, my reference to the PH was a quote from someone who was wearing one.

Napoleon's 'bits of ribbon' may or may not reflect the level of courageous resolve they imply, and their absence is also not conclusive.

Until his dying day, my father spoke in awe of watching UDT at work. He was on an LSIG (365), whose job was to get close to the beach and shoot at the Japanese, drawing fire from their big gun emplacements so that the battlewagons could target and eliminate them.

He manned a Bofors 40mm and had some armor for protection. He said the most amazing sight he ever saw was the guys in their little boats who went right up into the surf against withering fire, rolled out in their bathing suits, and blew up the obstacles. Some of them got hit, and some of them survived.

The mission of the UDT required "conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty" on every mission. The lives of Marines saved by the acts of UDT are no less significant than those saved by Medics who received the Medal of Honor. Maybe the fact that many Medics were Conscientious Objectors who put their money where their mouth was is part of the equation, and my hat's off to them.

I have known all too many guys who suffered grievous wounds, and appreciate the fact that they willingly went into harm's way. I am, however, more impressed by substance than symbolism

BSBD,

Winsor

Thanks.

Unfortunately over time the substance of the symbolism has diluted.

Everyone needs to come home after one year with a chest full of ribbons.

Reading a friend if mine's son's Bronze Star. I stood there looking at him... he finally asked what I thought. Not wanting to lose a friend, I merely said that it looked good on the wall next the three of his. He again asked what I thought about the award?

I told him it looked like shit. If I read it right. He went to the motor pool for a year and did his job; therefore a Bronze Star?

I blame the dilution on Grenada and have "war stories" to back it up.... it got worse in Panama, moreso in Honduras and putrid my the time DesertShield/Storm came around.

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.