lisamariewillbe

When did you start wanting to get on a team?

Just curious but for RW 4 way.

What jump number did you wish to be on a team?
When did you start thinking about teams?
What jump number did you start training to be on a team?

Someone mentioned to me that they are putting one together at the DZ and all I could think is I wish I had the ability to be on it. Ive around 100ish jumps and suck at RW but its just a dreaming type question.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I signed up for my first NSL meet at about 40 jumps. I jumped with pretty much the same people for the next 2 or 3 meets that season. I had so much fun I started thinking about a regular team soon after. I joined one for a year but we had problems getting together. I'd like to try again next season.
Owned by Remi #?

Ive around 100ish jumps and suck at RW but its just a dreaming type question.

Getting a team together is one of the best ways to get good at RW. Find a few other people at or close to your level and go for it.

I agree.

My first good experience with 4-way was around 150 jumps. I was at rantoul 03 and me and my buddy (around 1000 jumps) walked up to the airspeed tent around sunset. They were mostly done but Craig Girard was there and said they would put something together. So I got to go up with him, Eliana, and my buddy. We did a 5 point dive with piece turns and crank out points like you wouldn't belive. Watching them, up close, and actually being a part of the dive was like magic.

I was on a 4-way team the next year. I had about 200-250 jumps, another guy had about 300-400, one girl around 100, and one person with over 1000. We learned more than you can imagine about belly flying. People just off student status seem to skip that part a lot and don't get to see the magic that a 4-way team has. When you jump so much with a small group of people you learn faster and learn about eachother.

There are some great articles on this very website that talk about team building and learning. I suggest that you read through them. Don't be afraid to get on a team now. I have been trying to put another one together and my only requirements for people wanting to join is that they have an open mind, try thier best, and have fun. No where did I say they have to be top flyers, that comes with time.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

>What jump number did you wish to be on a team?

I've been on informal 4-way teams for years. This is the first year I've done a "serious" team (player-coach, 250 jumps planned, wind tunnel time etc.)

You can start a team at any experience level. At lower experience levels, player-coach is a great way to go because you have one 'ringer' and he can help you each meet your individual goals. The ultimate at your level might be a 2-on-2 tunnel camp; your skills will improve _very_ quickly with that sort of coaching.

go for it

Took me forever to finally do a 8 point 2 way... dont want to get ahead of myself. I do need to find something for a short term goal as I made my last skydiving goal, my long term is there and in place but is very long term. I want to progress and compete one day , plus finances dont allow me to actually think I can be on a team.

Find a few other people at or close to your level

Thats kinda hard in a way, most 100 jump wonders are way ahead of me in skills. If I go to somewhere around 50ish jumps well I wont do that, Im definitly not comfortable with that at this level unless we break much higher then my normal break that way I can get more time to track away. And the ones above my level well I wouldnt want to be the fuck up of the group so I think Ill keep practicing for now but want the information to start my realistic short term goal.

The ultimate at your level might be a 2-on-2 tunnel camp

Im in the process of making plans with Mar in December.... not really a camp or anything but I think playing with her and such she will be able to see my problems and such. Im my worst critic in everything I do. Im looking forward to getting her opinion on my strengths and weakness's and maybe a bit of guidence.

>And the ones above my level well I wouldnt want to be the fuck up of
> the group so I think Ill keep practicing for now but want the
> information to start my realistic short term goal.

Don't worry about that too much. Point on our team (Molly) is forever worrying that she's 'fucking it up for everyone' but none of us feel that way - she's learning very fast, and Amy and I do our share of screwing up as well.

>most 100 jump wonders are way ahead of me in skills.

That can be a handicap, but it is a big advantage in one area - you haven't learned bad habits yet. When I started getting in the tunnel two years ago, I had 12 years and thousands of jumps worth of bad habits to break. And even now, I tend to revert to my old body position when I'm thinking about something else (like the catch on block 10.) There is something to be said with starting from a blank slate, and getting coaching on good body position from your first team RW jumps.

I didnt. :|

I do have a friend that I do two-way with. We're not a team and we dont train, but we gotta call it something. So, we call the dives "no skills dives".
2-3 jumps per day just us, focused on certain maneuvers.

Im still impressed by the teams that are pumping out 10-12 jumps per day twice a week (or more) for 8 months out of the year.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

You guys arent fair, I was thinking Id get "your crazy, do a few hundred more jumps" or something. Sigh I so see what you guys mean. Im actually talking now with the person who is trying to put it together. See what his goal is and if it matches up with what I can do. I know by the end of the week Im sooo gonna beg him to be considered.

Thank you all for the responses.

Thats kinda hard in a way, most 100 jump wonders are way ahead of me in skills.

If the team goals are for everybody to learn and have fun - which is what they should be for people just starting out - it doesn't really matter what the individual skill levels are. Jump consistently with the same people and you will all improve.

And the ones above my level well I wouldnt want to be the fuck up of the group

If you are learning from each "fuck up" it's all good. After all, how are you supposed to learn if you aren't allowed to make mistakes?

As long as you stay focused on the reasons you "can't" do something, you'll never do it.

If the team goals are for everybody to learn and have fun - which is what they should be for people just starting out - it doesn't really matter what the individual skill levels are. Jump consistently with the same people and you will all improve.

Yes and from what I understand that will be the focus of this team.

If you are learning from each "fuck up" it's all good

Thats about all I do right lol. Im really anal about perfection..... if I flare a foot to high or to low I get pissed at myself for at least a hour, and running out my landings is enough to make me livid.

As long as you stay focused on the reasons you "can't" do something, you'll never do it

Damn voices of reason.....

ahhhh was nervous on posting this but thank you guys so much.

I got on a team when I had about 40 jumps. When you look at the video of our first few jumps, we probably averaged about 2 people in frame at any one time. We sucked, badly. Six months later I was on a team that came second at the Aussie Nats in 4-way Intermediate.

Doing a team is the best way to get better. You're going to be shit at the start, but if you keep jumping together and keep having fun, you'll get a whole lot better.

Also: get a coach, get camera. Both are vital - you'll improve far more quickly.

Im really anal about perfection..... if I flare a foot to high or to low I get pissed at myself for at least a hour, and running out my landings is enough to make me livid.

If you can learn to relax a little and not beat yourself up when you make mistakes, you'll a) learn faster, and b) smile more. (b) is the important one :)

Someone mentioned to me that they are putting one together at the DZ and all I could think is I wish I had the ability to be on it. Ive around 100ish jumps and suck at RW but its just a dreaming type question.

If you really want to be on a team, it's NEVER too early. Your current flying ability means nothing, because you'll learn 10 times faster on a team anyway.

I wanted to be on one almost from day one, and did my first competition when I had about 150 jumps. We scored a 6 average in rookie class, and that was back when the rookies got 50 seconds working time. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take long for you to achieve that level of "ability".

The only real way to gain the skills you need to be on a team is to get on one, and to do as many team jumps as your bank account can handle. If you work hard you'll improve quickly, people will notice, and you'll move up the ladder the next year.

It's tough to stick through those first couple teams, though... it seems like you get humbled on every jump. But it's all worth it when you get that dive that goes so well you're screaming into your helmet on breakoff :-)
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Our 4-way team came together when I had about 150 jumps (so, not very long ago!). We were friends first before we were a team and that helps a lot. In my team I am the least experienced so I totally relate to your worries about screwing up, but you'll find everyone makes mistakes even the experienced guys: in one competition our point (who at 600 jumps is the most experienced in our team) screwed up what would have been a really easy high-scoring randoms-only round when his foot slipped off the edge of the plane just before exit [:/][:/]

The key is to believe in yourself and not to worry if you do make mistakes but to learn from them. Debriefing a jump is very important - get somebody who is diplomatic to do it, that way nobody will be pointing fingers :)
I love 4-way, and being in a team is a great confidence booster. By all means if the opportunity arises, grab it! :)

-Chanti-

At lower experience levels, player-coach is a great way to go because you have one 'ringer' and he can help you each meet your individual goals.

This is something often over looked when putting a team of less experienced jumpers together. The one experienced jumper can make a huge difference and they do not need to be a paid coach.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

This is something often over looked when putting a team of less experienced jumpers together. The one experienced jumper can make a huge difference and they do not need to be a paid coach.

I've been the most experienced on all my teams so far. After a few years, it gets a bit frustrating. I want to be the low man sometime and really push it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thats about all I do right lol. Im really anal about perfection..... if I flare a foot to high or to low I get pissed at myself for at least a hour, and running out my landings is enough to make me livid.

Danm, girly. You could be my twin... If someone tells me "hey, that dive was great, you did a good job"... in the back of my mind I'm getting all bent over the fact that I sank out on a turn and had to fight to get back up, ya we got the point but I sucked :S

If I was closer to you we could be on a team together, we'd call it something like "The struggling perfectionists" :$:D

Jen
Arianna Frances

"hey, that dive was great, you did a good job"...

I hate that sometimes... esp if I know I didnt complete my objectives. Which is often. Im my biggest critic, it was great when I got to jump with happythoughts cause he saw in me that I needed to know what I did right and what I didnt. If I do it right okay thanks now on to the important shit... whered I mess it up and such.

I'm getting all bent over the fact that I sank out on a turn and had to fight to get back up, ya we got the point but I sucked

LOL I was just thinking my reaction would be similar "yea but if I hadnt gone low we would have gotten that point and another."

"The struggling perfectionists"

Here lies what I love the most of this sport , Ill never be perfect at it... Ill probably never be anything near what I want out of it. To many things in life arent challenging enough, like spelling lol (im great at that :S:D) but skydiving will forever be a struggle.

I started an intermediate FF team with my friend love when I had like 120 jumps

it was great we would show up and try these jumps often times learning the docks as we were trying them for the competition...

I learned a shitload about flying that summer and it made my sitflying progress hugely...

find some people and throw together a team...try to get some intermediate or better jumpers to work with you it will help your flying dramatically

at the ranch they have somethign called the rookie challenge where they rtake rookies and pair them with more experienced jumpers

it is awesome

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I never really wished to be on a team. Then I needed an excuse to go to the Dutch nationals again next year, and a friend and I started a 4 way team. We found two more people and we even found a free coach.

I had maybe 600 jumps at the time. The other three had 80, 80 and 120. We had fun, we learned a lot (even if maybe I learned different things than the others), we did good.

We placed last at Nationals, but we had a hell of a party.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Not doing the team thing yet myself, but last weekend had an interesting experience doing a few fun jumps with 3 of the 4 members of the local A team (not the one with Mr T, but some guys competing at the A level).

I have more jumps than any of them, quite a few more than a couple; and I was the one screwing everything up. Really impressed on me how much team jumping can be a factor in improving skills. Communication, consistency, anticipation, etc.

My excuse for the day is that they put me in the missing team members slot - the tail. That is my least practiced and worst performed position. But kudos to those guys - they click more than they know.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley