hymandd732

Tandem factories

One of the my primary motivating factors for taking up BASE. The people are in it for the total experience - friends, travel, sneaking around, pushing limits...and jumping.

And the jump tickets are cheap as hell.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

One of the my primary motivating factors for taking up BASE. The people are in it for the total experience - friends, travel, sneaking around, pushing limits...and jumping.

And the jump tickets are cheap as hell.

Really? I thought some trespassing tickets are over $500.00? I definately could be wrong because I don't base.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

What is it with all this whining from skydiving's senior citizens?

death of skydiving thread

deteriation of skydiving

This is not a PA (I'm pretty close to your age ... I'm almost 53 ... but I can't stand to hear anyone whine.)

So which is it guys ... which is the downfall (death) of skydiving ... tandems or the new generation of skydivers?

steveOrino

In all sincerity I must disclose skydiving's downfall as a sport and emergence as a profit making industry. Dropzones are little more than tandem factories at the present time. :(

Skydive Las Vegas was a tandem factory 12 years ago when I went.

Sport seems to still be around. Perris seems bigger than ever. The only Bay Area tandem factory is suffering.

The phrase you're looking for is industry maturity. Surfing died that death a long time ago too - Huntington Beach ripped up downtown, forced out all surf vendors but Jack's, and now it's a glitzy promenade where the meters run 7x24x365.

Ahh, another non-BASE jumper who thinks that all BASE jumps are illegal. I heard that all skydivers can talk to each other in freefall, right?

Anyway, yes, skydiving has definately changed for the worse at many DZ's. Fun jumpers get bumped so the tandems can stay in the air.

PS. What has Sangiro done to this forum? When you type "BASE JUMP", it automatically links to his "other" website. Lame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought some trespassing tickets are over $500.00? I definately could be wrong because I don't base.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

In all sincerity I must disclose skydiving's downfall as a sport and emergence as a profit making industry. Dropzones are little more than tandem factories at the present time. :(

And yet when I turn up to the DZ I know that I have good friends, great laughs and excellent skydives waiting for me.

Fuck the rest of that politics shit.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Ahh, another non-BASE jumper who thinks that all BASE jumps are illegal. I heard that all skydivers can talk to each other in freefall, right?

whoa, cowboy. Not sure a value judgement was being made there, just noting that some jumps result in a pretty onerous cost. Yosemite is much worse than $500, though seems like it still might be worth it.

I had actually started skydiving as a way to get into BASE, but then I found out that a large percentage of the people in BASE are egomaniacs who don't respect private property or even public property where jumping is prohibited. Most are not like that, but enough are that I decided I didn't want to be a part of that crowd.

Anyway, yes, skydiving has definately changed for the worse at many DZ's. Fun jumpers get bumped so the tandems can stay in the air.

PS. What has Sangiro done to this forum? When you type "BASE JUMP", it automatically links to his "other" website. Lame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought some trespassing tickets are over $500.00? I definately could be wrong because I don't base.

Touchy touchy. So sorry. Who pizzed in your wheaties this morning. :S

I was just commenting on the price of a ticket. I know not all base jumps are illegal. Geez are all basejumpers this sensative?:$

The guy I responded to didn't get all up in arms.

j

I
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I wouldn't say the percentage is THAT large - but there are tools, just like everywhere else. You must have had bad luck with the folks you ran into.

Ya just bitch slap 'em like any other unruly aquaintance - they can be taught.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

SKydiving has, in your opinion, experienced a downfall. Was the pun intended? ;)

ALL sports have profit as a motive. ALL of them. When you get to the upper levels, PROFIT dominates.

If a DZO couldn't make any money, do you think a DZO would stay a DZO? Nope.

How many people nowadays are satisfied with a 182? The modern skydiver demands aircraft that can get to altitude quickly, thus to make more jumps during the time they have available.

How many want covered packing areas? Video rooms? Gear stores?

tHE FIRST 6-way star was 1964. By 1973, it was a 27-way. And a 32-way by 1975. In 1995, the 62-way took a record, with a 100 way in 1997.

Yes, things change. It was not a huge stress to get some beat up plane, some old ratty canopy held together with duct tape to cover the holes from a cow chewing it being trained by some dude with 6 jumps to his name. (Ask bill booth about this).

So, when you've got demands for alternate landing areas, swoop ponds, turbine aircraft, etc., the costs tend to increase.

Tandem factories? They serve a legitimate purpose. Sport jumpers go elsewhere and THOSE places serve a purpose.

It aint' the good old days. But it also ain't the "bad new days." They are just different, as is everything.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Sport jumpers go elsewhere and THOSE places serve a purpose

True statement.

A dropzone opened this year...single 182 outfit...and it's the most fun I've had skydiving in 16 years.

Abbie would bump a tandem if you ask nicely and slap him on the ass maybe.

Read the part about free coaching "if we like you." That's just good shit.

Snake River
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

>>Perris seems bigger than ever.
No way. A typical weekend/weekday was generally larger (more jumpers) in the 80s and early 90s.

And look at Lake Elsinore (a DZ I love) it's practically a ghost town now compared to back then . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

"whining" have you taken your medication today? Intelligent discourse and whining are as different as jumpers out to prove something to their girl friends and jumpers who jump for joy.

And what part of your OP in the thread WASN'T a whine, pray tell? Make some solid points and discuss them.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

While the major dropzones continue to entertain the hard core team jumpers i.e., Deland etc. dozens of smaller DZ's on which the majority of people in this sport depend have turned almost totally to the profit making operation of tandems to the detriment of fun jumpers on their way up to hard core. How's that for a good argument?
Freefall Hall