ntrprnr

NAACP: Vick Should Return to the NFL

You KNOW something gets me angry when it sends me to the Speaker's Corner.

The Atlanta chapter of the NAACP is saying that Vick should be allowed to return to the NFL after he does his jail time, and that his story is getting more attention because he killed dogs than if he'd killed people.

Does this not sit well with anyone else? I want this guy to burn in prison, and the NAACP is calling for him to return to the NFL?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2986382&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Aren't they overstepping their soapbox a bit?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Peter

The NAACP will grandstand whenever they get a chance. Vick deserves what he gets. Even after prison time and NFL suspension I doubt any team will have him. Vick is getting alot of support from the black community that I don't understand. Vick is not being targeted because he is black. Had Peyton Manning ran a dog fighting ring for 6 years people would be just as upset. This had nothing to do with race. What he did was wrong and he needs to pay the price.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

The Atlanta chapter of the NAACP is saying that Vick should be allowed to return to the NFL after he does his jail time, and that his story is getting more attention because he killed dogs than if he'd killed people.

Does this not sit well with anyone else? I want this guy to burn in prison, and the NAACP is calling for him to return to the NFL?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2986382&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Aren't they overstepping their soapbox a bit?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Peter

NAACP always tries to make any issue involving black people into racial issues. That's so 50's.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

I'm all for letting him play as long as no late hits can be called on other players that "sack" him.

New York Knicks Marbury spoke Monday about the federal dogfighting conspiracy charges against Vick while promoting his basketball shoe in Albany, N.Y.

"I think it's tough," Marbury said, according to Albany TV station Capital News 9. "I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors."

Good thing this guy can play basketball cause he's an idiot.

J
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

First, let me just say that I don't feel sorry for him, and I don't think he should return to the NFL after he serves his time. I hate what he did, and I hate that when the accusations first came out, several of his colleagues laughed it off like it was no big deal.

But truthfully, in a way they have a point. Not that this is a racial issue in any way, but his story is getting more negative attention because he killed dogs. There are professional sports figures involved in rape, drugs, drunk driving and murder who get far less media attention and get to keep their jobs, sometimes even after they've been convicted and sentenced.

Still, why should the Falcons or any NFL team hold a job open for a convicted felon while he serves his time?

The NAACP will grandstand whenever they get a chance. Vick deserves what he gets. Even after prison time and NFL suspension I doubt any team will have him. Vick is getting alot of support from the black community that I don't understand. Vick is not being targeted because he is black. Had Peyton Manning ran a dog fighting ring for 6 years people would be just as upset. This had nothing to do with race. What he did was wrong and he needs to pay the price.

Apparently any time a black man is arrested for anything, he is clearly being victimised for his skin colour.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Good thing this guy can play basketball cause he's an idiot.

J

He doesn't quite hold a candle to the stupidest motherfucker in basketball - Latrell Sprewell.

He rejects a something like $21 million deal because he's gotta feed his family. Just today it was announced that his yacht was repossessed. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I am sooooo embarrassed he came from Alabama. :S

And he's the same asshole who choked his NBA coach in anger and got a half-season banning for it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ron Wolfe, the GM of the Packers, actually has made this point.

"If he pays his debt to society, why shouldn't he get another chance?...Maybe I don't understand something in all of this, but you're supposed to get a second chance in this country...We've had a lot of people in this league do a lot of bad things, and they still got a chance...Leonard Little killed someone (while drunk driving). Jamal Lewis went to prison (in connection to) selling drugs. Are you telling me that killing eight dogs is worse than killing a human being? … Yes, this is bad, but are you really telling me that he doesn't deserve a chance to play again when other people have committed crimes and come back?"

To this, I DO think he has a point. Ray Lewis has rehabilitated his image. I personally find PacMan Jones's conduct to be worse than Vick's because people are getting shot and paralyzed.

There WILL be some teams willing to take a chance on Vick. I don't think the NFL as a league should ban him for life. I would leave it up to the individual teams to decide.

But the biggest problem with Vick is that he is a star quarterback - the face of a team. This makes his situation much different than a Leonard Little.

Ther have been other srubbed out of the NFL. Art Schlichter comes to mind, but he never did anything on the field but screw up. Marinovich never did much.

The NFL Suspended starts Alex Karras and Paul Hornung for gambling. They came back and did just fine - Hornung went to the Hall of Fame. Rae Carruth is rotting in jail right now for the contract murder of his wife.

How does Vick measure up against these issues? To me, on the side requiring some stern punishment but I think Leonard Little is a bit more of a case. He KILLED a PERSON.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I see no problem with him returning after he completes his jail time, if a team wants him. (The reality is that at his age with a year or two off, and the bad publicity, he'll likely struggle to return.) That's the way it works - you get convicted, you do your punishment, then you're supposed to go on with life, albeit with some loss of rights for felons.

The only bit (if accurate) that would bother me is the suggestion that people would treat him better if he had killed people. We know that's not true and a convicted murderer would not return to an NFL team.

Interesting to me is how his brother Marcus seemed to be such a fuckup, falling from grace, and now it seems more like the family trend. He lost on order of $20,000 fighting these dogs, but tens of millions from Nike and the NFL. Didn't seem worth it.

Interesting to me is how his brother Marcus seemed to be such a fuckup, falling from grace, and now it seems more like the family trend.

Yeah, I still remember "the stomp" in a televised game when he was at VT. What an idiot. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

why should the Falcons or any NFL team hold a job open for a convicted felon while he serves his time?

The Falcons won't. In fact, if there's anybody else who may get scrwed it's the Falcons. They may be lookin gat trying to recover the bonus money they paid him.

But this can also destroy the franchise for 5 years because Vick's salary counts as a hit against the salary cap. If they cannot release his salary from the salary cap, then they'll have to hire more talent without the money to pay them until the cap hit expires.

The Falcons have a salary cap of 102 million dollars. Vick signed a 10 year, $130 million contract in 2004. He's made $44 million in the last two years - $37 million of which were guaranteed bonuses. Bonuses can be amortized but if a player is cut the bonus must be meqsured against the cap within two years. It'll be a $15 million cap hit next year for them. That's how a team gets screwed.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I read it in terms of dollars instead of justice.

If the NFL won't take him back, they're probably afraid they'll lose money on the deal between disinterested fans, opportunity costs of lost advertising tie-ins, etc.

Vick has every right to re-enter society and get a job after he is sentenced and serves his time, perhaps apart from management roles at public companies which a felony record prevents. The NFL or any other employer has every right to consider strictly their own interests in rehiring him.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

They should apply the same decisionmaking rules to him as would to anyone else. If the NFL typically allows other players with the same level of past charges (X-degree Felony) then they should take him back.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Maybe OJ should came back as a free agent?

Seems reasonable to me. His career in show biz is washed up, so if he wants to go back to football, why shouldn't he be allowed to take another stab at it?:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This whole thing bugs the crap out of me. What Vic did is lower than low. But to raise a punishment for a way someone treats an animal to that bordering on a punishment for how a human was treated.

Well, lets just say I have alot of thinking yet to do on this one[:/]

Edited to add. The NFL has every right to can this scum. The free market has every right to ignore his ass for the rest of his life. But, does that mean any judicial system should punish to the extent spoken of in this context. I really don't know...

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Maybe OJ should came back as a free agent?

Seems reasonable to me. His career in show biz is washed up, so if he wants to go back to football, why shouldn't he be allowed to take another stab at it?:ph34r:

:D:D:DYou and Lawrocket!!!:D:D:D I recently saw bits of a recent 'on air' call-in interview with O.J. Talk about a rough crowd! If, anyone was murdered in the last 10-yrs., callers asked O.J. id he did it!:D:D

Chuck

>The Atlanta chapter of the NAACP is saying that Vick should be
>allowed to return to the NFL after he does his jail time . . .

That's dumb. The NFL should do whatever it wants with this guy. I actually hope they don't let him back on board.

>and that his story is getting more attention because he killed dogs than if
>he'd killed people.

That _does_ bug me. He mistreated animals, and is going to jail. Fine. But I hear people saying they hope he's killed in prison, that he's raped, that he should be beat to shit etc.

Dogs are lovable, cuddly animals. But they're animals. We eat animals - even lovable animals like kangaroos. We make clothing out of them. We lay out traps to kill them - and often those traps do so by breaking the animal's back and letting them die over the course of several days. We kill them for sport even when we don't need them for anything. When we ram one with our cars, we bitch about the damage to the front end. That's how we see animals as a society.

We _should_ have laws to provide for the humane treatment of animals, because we should be better stewards of this planet we're on - and treating animals well is part of that. But killing an animal will always be a much, much less severe crime than harming or killing a human being. And that's how it should be.

why should the Falcons or any NFL team hold a job open for a convicted felon while he serves his time?

The Falcons won't. In fact, if there's anybody else who may get scrwed it's the Falcons. They may be lookin gat trying to recover the bonus money they paid him.

But this can also destroy the franchise for 5 years because Vick's salary counts as a hit against the salary cap. If they cannot release his salary from the salary cap, then they'll have to hire more talent without the money to pay them until the cap hit expires.

The Falcons have a salary cap of 102 million dollars. Vick signed a 10 year, $130 million contract in 2004. He's made $44 million in the last two years - $37 million of which were guaranteed bonuses. Bonuses can be amortized but if a player is cut the bonus must be meqsured against the cap within two years. It'll be a $15 million cap hit next year for them. That's how a team gets screwed.

Did the Dolphins have to take the SC hit on the money Riki owes them? If the Falcons can sue Vick for the bonus they should be able to argue that legally they didn't pay it to him.

I really don't think, anyone has to worry about Vick getting back into the NFL. If, he goes back into football, he'd probably get booed off of every field he played on. I do think, he should be dealt with and the punishment should fit the crime. To me, anyoune who organizes, bets on, or is involved in any way with dog, cock, horse, whatever 'fighting' (I'm not referring to boxing here) should be punished.

Chuck

I hope the NFL is very clear why they are doing whatever it is that they eventually do. The issue of misconduct is one thing, but the issue of gambling is another. If they want to go after the gambling issue they can take it a long way without anyone calling unfair. If it is the misconduct issue, history says they have to let him back in fairly quickly. You can't have one standard for linemen or d-backs and another for quarter-backs.

This whole thing bugs the crap out of me. What Vic did is lower than low. But to raise a punishment for a way someone treats an animal to that bordering on a punishment for how a human was treated.

Well, lets just say I have alot of thinking yet to do on this one[:/]

the legal punishments on this are pretty low - we're talking a year in jail. Kill a person consciously and you're not doing that well, same for aggravated assault.

A person can go to jail for humanely putting an animal out of its misery if the right people see it happen.
Since crimes today can be based on someone's supposed mindset toward another person, instead of just the act itself,I don't see why the same shouldn't be applied to some clown who drowns or stomps a dog to death, just because it didn't perform to his standards. There's definately something wrong in that man's mind.