br0k3n

What did Jesus look like???

How would you feel if someone posted a very derogatory picture of your mother or a list comparing her inappropriately to someone here? Oh, it’s your right to blaspheme all you want even if it offends me. However, your offense is primarily against God and you will have to answer for it someday.

Is it more or less serious than salsa dancing? It has to be a little less serious than eating shellfish or working on Sunday and a little more serious than selling a close relative into slavery to work up that good ol' Taliban sense of "do as I say to save your soul" buzz, eh?
Owned by Remi #?

How would you feel if someone posted a very derogatory picture of your mother or a list comparing her inappropriately to someone here? Oh, it’s your right to blaspheme all you want even if it offends me. However, your offense is primarily against God and you will have to answer for it someday.

Turnabout is fair play, isn't it?;)
Judge not, that ye be not offended or something like that?

What did Jesus look like???

Well, consider this:
He knew God was his dad.
He knew that no matter what he did, he would spend eternity in ultimate bliss (i.e. Heaven).
He knew that he was set.

I'll bet he strode around with the smirk of one confident motherfucker.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

How would you feel if someone posted a very derogatory picture of your mother or a list comparing her inappropriately to someone here? Oh, it’s your right to blaspheme all you want even if it offends me. However, your offense is primarily against God and you will have to answer for it someday.[/reply

Odin will get his revenge on you.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This implies that God will be offended by this comparison and not, for instance, be amused by it.
In other words you are claiming to know a lot about God's sense of humour.
Isn't this a bit arrogant on your part?
Cheers,

Vale

You guys are ridiculous. Pajarito spends a lot of time trying to seriously answer questions and cheap shots at his beliefs and all you guys do is whip yourselves up into a self-righteous frenzy. I have never seen Pajarito condemn or attack anyone here for what they think, only to say that in HIS belief that those people will be judged. If you don't believe as he does, what do you care then? Is it maybe some kind of underlying feeling in you all that he MAY be right that worries you so you react with venom? Or maybe you're just THAT antagonistic that you have to, in most cases ignorantly, try to sneak in a "gotcha" on something you don't understand and probably will never understand.

He's NOT preaching here, just responding to what you guys write with things from the bible and his beliefs that illustrate WHY he thinks the way he does. He's not trying to convert anyone, he doesn't seem too defensive, and I think he does a really good job of stating his case. Does it offend you THAT much that he is a Christian?

Anyway, like I've said before... it doesn't take much testicle to attack a Christian who's REALLY trying to live by the Word.

PS- Just to head off the BS that will inevitably come from me posting this... NO, I'm no better than anyone. NO, I'm not a great Christian.
Oh, hello again!

Depends on what week it is:

http://www.jesusoftheweek.com/

One week features a shot of Jesus sit flying and attempting a dock.

@Trent

You guys are ridiculous. Pajarito spends a lot of time trying to seriously answer questions and cheap shots at his beliefs and all you guys do is whip yourselves up into a self-righteous frenzy.

I used to be a born-again Christian and I know where pajarito is coming from. He can believe what he wants, but when he's telling people that they'll be judged to rot in hell forever because they don't believe what *he* believes, at best it's distasteful, and worse than that, it's a subtle form of hate. Reactions to such statements will be strong (which from my experience, reaffirms the self-righteous persecution complex of born-again Christians), and rightfully so. I make my case in respectfully differing with him, he feels justified in being "persecuted" when people disagree with him. So we're both happy -- I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it really is.

@vpozzoli

This implies that God will be offended by this comparison and not, for instance, be amused by it.

Great point; I believe in a self-deprecating, comic G-d that can laugh at himself. He/She's much more likeable that way.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I used to be a born-again Christian and I know where pajarito is coming from. He can believe what he wants, but when he's telling people that they'll be judged to rot in hell forever because they don't believe what *he* believes, at best it's distasteful, and worse than that, it's a subtle form of hate.

I haven't seen him tell people that they will rot in hell. I haven't seen him (in my opinion) look down on someone because of their beliefs. Everything I've seen him post leads me to think he is nothing like those "fire and brimstone" Christians or the "stone the infidel" zealots.

Reactions to such statements will be strong (which from my experience, reaffirms the self-righteous persecution complex of born-again Christians), and rightfully so. I make my case in respectfully differing with him, he feels justified in being "persecuted" when people disagree with him. So we're both happy -- I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it really is.

I don't get that sense at all. The only reason I posted anything at all is because I see people get really cheap and ugly with him all the time, and I think he does a great job at keeping cool and really trying to answer the often purposely inflammatory comments by people.
Oh, hello again!

I used to be a born-again Christian and I know where pajarito is coming from. He can believe what he wants, but when he's telling people that they'll be judged to rot in hell forever because they don't believe what *he* believes, at best it's distasteful, and worse than that, it's a subtle form of hate. Reactions to such statements will be strong (which from my experience, reaffirms the self-righteous persecution complex of born-again Christians), and rightfully so. I make my case in respectfully differing with him, he feels justified in being "persecuted" when people disagree with him. So we're both happy -- I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it really is.

How many of those who have such disdain for the Christian faith because it hits a sore spot, wink at the Muslims' message of hate just because they aren't knocking on your door? Someday, you may be wishing that " Onward, Christian Soldiers" was your song of choice.

You guys are ridiculous. Pajarito spends a lot of time trying to seriously answer questions and cheap shots at his beliefs and all you guys do is whip yourselves up into a self-righteous frenzy. .

...snip

I disagree, Trent. Pajarito's comments clearly indicate a dismissal of all other religions, and for a long time his signature line suggested that anyone not in compliance with his religion was not a good person.

For they sow the wind, and they reap the whirlwind

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>What has being thrown out of church, arrested, or even what Saint
>Augustine and Lactantius said in this regard got to do with the truth which
>is found in scripture?

That "truth" varies from person to person and from age to age. No doubt someone just like you will someday look at your beliefs and say "well, he was a great guy; he just didn't see the truth in the scripture that we understand today." And he will be just as right as you are.

... and for a long time his signature line suggested that anyone not in compliance with his religion was not a good person.

Actually, the link in his signature line suggested that no one is a good person by God's standards, including Pajarito, regardless of what they may believe.

That "truth" varies from person to person and from age to age. No doubt someone just like you will someday look at your beliefs and say "well, he was a great guy; he just didn't see the truth in the scripture that we understand today." And he will be just as right as you are.

Scripture is not subjective if principals of hermeneutics are adhered to. Original intent of the author, who it was addressed to, what (if any) application does it have for us today (it may not because it may have been written for a particular group of people at a particular time), context, context, context, does the verse harmonize with other scripture concerning the same topic, etc. It's not whether a particular verse means something to me (or you). It's about what the verse or scripture actually means based on what the writer intended. You can't cherry pick what you like and discard what you don't. There was no subjectivity concerning who Jesus claimed to be and what he did to prove it then and there isn't now.

Isn't this a bit arrogant on your part?

What do you think the author's motive was? Do you think it was to glorify God or to ridicule Him? If it was the latter, then it was a violation of the 3rd Commandment and God is very offended by it. I'm sure God has a sense of humor but not regarding blasphemy. What God has revealed to us concerning his character is in scripture. I don’t presume to know anything more outside of that.

>context, context, context . . .

Exactly. And our understanding of that context has changed in the past; it will change in the future.

>You can't cherry pick what you like and discard what you don't.

That's precisely what you have done. You have discarded some Old Testament law (Leviticus) because you feel it no longer applies, but retained other parts of the Old Testament because you feel it _is_ still applicable. You have altered some parts of it (like the day/age reconciliation in Genesis) to better conform to what we now know of geology. This is not a criticism; most other christians do that as well. Consider that all of them may not be completely wrong just because they draw the line in a different place than you do.

>There was no subjectivity concerning who Jesus claimed to be and what he
>did to prove it then and there isn't now.

I think the amount of scripture discarded by the church, and how much church doctrine changes through events like Nicaea, indicates that there is indeed a lot of subjectivity in the reporting on what was originally a historical event (the life of Christ.)

>context, context, context . . .

Exactly. And our understanding of that context has changed in the past; it will change in the future.

>You can't cherry pick what you like and discard what you don't.

That's precisely what you have done. You have discarded some Old Testament law (Leviticus) because you feel it no longer applies, but retained other parts of the Old Testament because you feel it _is_ still applicable.

I think the amount of scripture discarded by the church, and how much church doctrine changes through events like Nicaea, indicates that there is indeed a lot of subjectivity in the reporting on what was originally a historical event (the life of Christ.)

So true.

Pajarito, which day of the week do you choose to observe the sabbath? If it's Sunday, I challenge you to give me a biblical citation that mandates changing the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.

Can't do that? Looks like you've been breaking the eighth commandment for some time now. How do you think G-d will judge you on that one?

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I used to be a born-again Christian and I know where pajarito is coming from.

One is not born again and then...well...not anymore. When someone is born again, God changes their heart and gives them new desires and direction. He/she is a "new creature" in Christ. If that is not the case now for you....it never was in the first place.

Pajarito, which day of the week do you choose to observe the sabbath? If it's Sunday, I challenge you to give me a biblical citation that mandates changing the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.

Can't do that? Looks like you've been breaking the eighth commandment for some time now. How do you think G-d will judge you on that one?

It's late. I'll answer this tomorrow. I'd rather give a more thoughtful response. Later... B|

If that is not the case now for you....it never was in the first place.

This is like the Real Swooper (tm) debate!

I've heard that not only was Jesus a hell of a swooper, but he could do a standup landing...on the pond!:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have never seen Pajarito condemn or attack anyone here for what they think, only to say that in HIS belief that those people will be judged. If you don't believe as he does, what do you care then?

Me? Principally, the reason I care is because people of zealous belief--particularly zealous religious belief--have fucked up the world, cramming absurd myths down the throats of the gullible and the ignorant, and spawning hatred and squelching true learning and knowledge, for thousands of years.

That's MY reason. But then, I have not come here and attacked this Pajarito fellow. I just have a strong dislike for religion. Yeah, you could call it a contempt if you like. Maybe you'd call it a guilt-by-association thing: I react to those who are strongly religious by seeing them as part of the problem I just described, or at least, actively not part of the solution.
Imaginations on fire

I used to be a born-again Christian and I know where pajarito is coming from.

One is not born again and then...well...not anymore. When someone is born again, God changes their heart and gives them new desires and direction. He/she is a "new creature" in Christ. If that is not the case now for you....it never was in the first place.

Ahhh, tautology! I knew we'd be seeing some o' that before long here! :D

That's the best way to discredit anyone who ever belonged to this cult of religion. "Anyone who claims to have been a believer and then seen the light of reason and the fraud of the cult, well, he was never one with God in the first place."

It's also a weak, pathetic, logically fallacious load of crap.
Imaginations on fire