br0k3n

What did Jesus look like???

Catholicism paved the way for modern Christianity, but Catholicism is evil.
ergo
God paved the way for Catholicism, therefore god is evil.
As god is an invention of man, no wonder Christians consider man as evil and in need of punishment.
Jesus would be shocked at that concept.
Jesus didn't write one damn word; it's sad that modern day Christians are foolish enough to not realize that. There is no "book of Jesus." For all anyone knows, he was as ignorant as Elvis, only wildly more popular in modern time.

Catholicism paved the way for modern Christianity, but Catholicism is evil.
ergo
God paved the way for Catholicism, therefore god is evil.
As god is an invention of man, no wonder Christians consider man as evil and in need of punishment.
Jesus would be shocked at that concept.
Jesus didn't write one damn word; it's sad that modern day Christians are foolish enough to not realize that. There is no "book of Jesus." For all anyone knows, he was as ignorant as Elvis, only wildly more popular in modern time.

You could not have listened to what I posted b/c I'm listening to it right now and have been since I posted it. Jesus Christ paved the way for modern Christianity, not the Pope. Your ignorance of the subject is willful.

- Who here "grew up Catholic?"
- Who went to Catholic school?
- Who here broke away from the Catholic church because they were disenchanted with their practice and teachings and gave up on Christianity?

I wish every Catholic here would listen to this sermon in its entirety.

John MacArthur sermon on Catholicism and the office of the Pope in 2 parts which was broadcast November 9, 2006 on Way of the Master Radio:

Part 1

Part 2

- Who here "grew up Catholic?"
- Who went to Catholic school?
- Who here broke away from the Catholic church because they were disenchanted with their practice and teachings and gave up on Christianity?

I wish every Catholic here would listen to this sermon in its entirety.

John MacArthur sermon on Catholicism and the office of the Pope in 2 parts which was broadcast November 9, 2006 on Way of the Master Radio:

Part 1

Part 2

I grew up catholic but did not go to catholic school (threatened to run away if my parents sent me) and became disenchanted with the church early in life. I'll probably listen to your links over the weekend when I get the time.

By the way, your "only G-d is the only judge, not me" routine is rather stale. You are the one who is judging people (read what you said about the "storm" upthread, and that I'll end up believing in Christ on judgement day)...that is one of the main reasons I am glad *not* to believe what you do -- I'm not in the business of subtly telling people that they're going to rot in hell forever for not believing what *I* believe, and I never will be.

To me, it's wrong on many levels. For one, it's no way to win friends (or converts as that is often the objective). Another -- it's not a very harmonious way of living in a very diverse world, and I think it ultimately goes counter to what Jesus taught.

As an aside, I find it laughable when Muslims, Christians and Jews pray to their g-d for world peace. The whole thing is very ironic to me, considering that each think their religion is the only true one...

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

You could not have listened to what I posted b/c I'm listening to it right now and have been since I posted it. Jesus Christ paved the way for modern Christianity, not the Pope. Your ignorance of the subject is willful.

Not interested in listening to diatribe and bullshit of one person's (or a congregations) opinion of how they interpret history's most successful bullshit novels collectively known as "the bible." I listened to the insipid, judgemental "are you a good person" and had a good laugh at the "i'm not judging you, god is" when it's not god's voice I hear, it's a man's voice with a fairly pathetic message filled with judgemental condescension.
Jesus "the Christ" is an invention of Nicea, anyone with the most basic understanding of religious history gets that. Catholicism ran Nicea. Ergo, Catholicism paved the way for modern Christianity. They collected the books, protected the "history" or hysteria, whichever your viewpoint, and kept Jesus in the spotlight while drumming fear into the hearts of ignorant, hungry people.
I'm not ignorant of the subject, just willfully realistic. I didn't start with the premise that the world isn't round and then set about trying to make everything fit within my viewpoint.
Jesus was nothing until long, long after he was killed.
Kinda like the Kent State debate, it all depends on where you're standing that determines your viewpoint. I tend to think he was nothing but a nice man on earth, and deified (much like Elvis) long after his death.

I didn't start with the premise that the world isn't round and then set about trying to make everything fit within my viewpoint.

Isaiah described the Earth as being round:

"It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth" (Isaiah 40:22). This is not a reference to a flat disk, as some skeptic maintain, but to a sphere. Secular man discovered this 2,400 years later. At a time when science believed that the earth was flat, is was the Scriptures that inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world.

I didn't start with the premise that the world isn't round and then set about trying to make everything fit within my viewpoint.

Isaiah described the Earth as being round:

"It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth" (Isaiah 40:22). This is not a reference to a flat disk, as some skeptic maintain, but to a sphere. Secular man discovered this 2,400 years later. At a time when science believed that the earth was flat, is was the Scriptures that inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world.

You must be an AMAZING tap-dancer.
BTW, Isaiah's words are open to interpretation. Jewish scholars have long maintained that he meant the circle as it applies to man being in the center, not to the earth as a sphere. Given that those guys (and everyone else at the time) were pretty educated given the level of access...I'll trust their interpretations over yours. Please forgive me for trusting history and science vs histrionics and anti-science.

To me, it's wrong on many levels. For one, it's no way to win friends (or converts as that is often the objective).

I'm not here to win friends. It's also not my job to convert you or anyone else. It's up to God to save you...or not. I'm just telling you what scripture says concerning your destiny. I don't want your money and I'm not trying to convince you to be in any particular denomination or church.

Another -- it's not a very harmonious way of living in a very diverse world, and I think it ultimately goes counter to what Jesus taught.

The scripture is not harmonious with the diversity of the world. Jesus drew a line in the sand separating Himself from every other religion or religious leader of the world. The sword in the passage below is Word and the truth of the gospel message.

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
Matthew 10:34-36

The message in my link below is completely Biblical. For those who are hardened to its message, it is a double edged sword. For those who are contrite in spirit, humbled, and convicted, it is the power unto salvation. However, the Bible states clearly that the message will be offensive to most. It was ok for Jesus so its ok for me also.

>Isaiah described the Earth as being round:

Up until about 1600 years ago, your saying that would have gotten you at least thrown out of your local church, if not arrested. From Saint Augustine:

"But as to the fable that there are Antipodes, that is to say, men on the opposite side of the earth, where the sun rises when it sets to us, men who walk with their feet opposite ours, that is on no ground credible."

Lactantius, early Christian scholar:

"But if you inquire from those who defend these marvellous fictions, why all things do not fall into that lower part of the heaven, they reply that such is the nature of things, that heavy bodies are borne to the middle, and that they are all joined together towards the middle, as we see spokes in a wheel; but that the bodies which are light, as mist, smoke, and fire, are borne away from the middle, so as to seek the heaven. I am at a loss what to say respecting those who, when they have once erred, consistently persevere in their folly, and defend one vain thing by another." (He'd be right at home here!)

1600 years from now, much of what you believe now will seem similarly quaint. That doesn't mean you're wrong; at least, you are no more wrong than St. Augustine, who was no doubt a very smart guy.

Up until about 1600 years ago, your saying that would have gotten you at least thrown out of your local church, if not arrested. From Saint Augustine:

"But as to the fable that there are Antipodes, that is to say, men on the opposite side of the earth, where the sun rises when it sets to us, men who walk with their feet opposite ours, that is on no ground credible."

1600 years from now, much of what you believe now will seem similarly quaint. That doesn't mean you're wrong; at least, you are no more wrong than St. Augustine, who was no doubt a very smart guy.

People who insisted the Earth was not 'round' and had no Antopodes were objectively wrong even in the face of rather sound & compelling evidence.

Objectively Newtonian physics is also wrong but is still useful, just as flat earth approximations are very common and useful in engineering analysis.

You can make use of an approximation and understand it's limitations, without being wrong, or you can stick with a dogma in the face of compelling evidence and be wrong. You can accept the convenience & elegance of a physical model without the conceit that it is the ultimate descriptive theory.

He didn't look like anyone or anything. He didn't exist.:|

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

The Shroud of Turin, believed to be the burial shroud of Jesus, has a pretty good likeness of His face, if it was Him...

I thought the shroud of turin had long since been said to NOT be jesus' burial shroud. Now you're saying it's "believed to be"? Says who?

I think it's absurd to try to find out what jesus looked like. No one knows, and no one will know. It is, though, pretty laughable to depict him as some american-lookin' white dude! :D Funny thing is, I accepted that for years as a kid without questioning it.

Funny how when you grow intelligent to QUESTION things, you realize how absurd religion actually is and walk away from it.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

[People who insisted the Earth was not 'round' and had no Antopodes were objectively wrong even in the face of rather sound & compelling evidence.

Objectively Newtonian physics is also wrong but is still useful, just as flat earth approximations are very common and useful in engineering analysis.

You can make use of an approximation and understand it's limitations, without being wrong, or you can stick with a dogma in the face of compelling evidence and be wrong. You can accept the convenience & elegance of a physical model without the conceit that it is the ultimate descriptive theory.

Wow. Dude, that was thought-provoking and profound and succinct. I like it! :)
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Up until about 1600 years ago, your saying that would have gotten you at least thrown out of your local church, if not arrested.

What has being thrown out of church, arrested, or even what Saint Augustine and Lactantius said in this regard got to do with the truth which is found in scripture? Saint Augustine, Lactantius, and even the Pope do not supercede scripture.

By the way, your "only G-d is the only judge, not me" routine is rather stale. You are the one who is judging people (read what you said about the "storm" upthread, and that I'll end up believing in Christ on judgement day)...that is one of the main reasons I am glad *not* to believe what you do -- I'm not in the business of subtly telling people that they're going to rot in hell forever for not believing what *I* believe, and I never will be.

I am not judging you simply by telling you of God’s judgment. God has judged all the world as being guilty before Him (Romans 3:19, 23) and he that believes not is condemned already (John 3:18). Biblically, it is not being judgmental to warn of sin and judgment. The context of Luke 6:37, “Judge not lest you be judged”, concerns the wrongness of judging one another. John 7:24, however, says “Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.” It is expected that the Christian should make a moral righteous judgment concerning someone who steals, lies, commits adultery or murder, etc. It is expected (actually commanded) that the Christian should warn that these sins will have eternal consequences.

As I stated before, Jesus looked like Elvis.

Here is a list of uncanny smilarities between Jesus and Elvis Presley (from this website:http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6174/elvis_jesus.htm):

Elvis - Jesus Similarities

Jesus said: "Love thy neighbor." (Matthew 22:39)
Elvis said: "Don't be cruel." (RCA, 1956)

Jesus is the Lord's shepherd.
Elvis dated Cybill Shepherd.

Jesus was part of the Trinity.
Elvis' first band was a trio.

Jesus walked on water. (Matthew 14:25)
Elvis surfed. (Blue Hawaii, Paramount, 1965)

Jesus' entourage, the Apostles, had 12 members.
Elvis' entourage, the Memphis Mafia, had 12 members.

Jesus was resurrected.
Elvis had the famous 1968 "comeback" TV special.

Jesus said, "If any man thirst, let him come unto me,
and drink." (John 7:37)
Elvis said, "Drinks on me!" (Jailhouse Rock, MGM, 1957)

Jesus fasted for 40 days and nights.
Elvis had irregular eating habits. (e.g. 5 banana splits
for breakfast)

Jesus is a Capricorn. (December 25)
Elvis is a Capricorn. (January 8)

Matthew was one of Jesus' many biographers. (The Gospel
According to Matthew)
Neil Matthews was one of Elvis' many biographers. (Elvis:
A Golden Tribute)

"[Jesus] countenance was like lightning, and his raiment
white as snow." (Matthew 28:3)
Elvis wore snow-white jumpsuits with lightning bolts.

Jesus lived in state of grace in a Near Eastern land.
Elvis lived in Graceland in a nearly eastern state.

Mary, an important woman in Jesus' life, had an
Immaculate Conception.
Priscilla, an important woman in Elvis' life, went to Immaculate Conception High School.

Jesus was first and foremost the Son of God.
Elvis first recorded with Sun Studios, which today are still considered to be his foremost recordings.

Jesus was the lamb of God.
Elvis had mutton chop sideburns.

Jesus' Father is everywhere.
Elvis' father was a drifter, and moved around quite a bit.

Jesus was a carpenter.
Elvis' favorite high school class was wood shop.

Jesus wore a crown of thorns.
Elvis wore Royal Crown hair styler.

Jesus H. Christ has 12 letters.
Elvis Presley has 12 letters.

No one knows what the "H" in "Jesus H. Christ" stood for.
No one was really sure if Elvis' middle name was "Aron"
or "Aaron".

Jesus is often depicted in pictures with a halo that looks
like a gold plate.
Elvis' face is often depicted on a plate with gold trim and
sold through TV.

Jesus said: "Man shall not live by bread alone."
Elvis liked his sandwiches with peanut butter and bananas.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Blasphemy is serious.

Jesus was a Capricorn, he ate organic foods.
He believed in love and peace and never wore no shoes.
Long hair, beard and sandals and a funky bunch of friends.
Reckon they'd just nail him up if He come down again.

'Cos everybody's got to have somebody to look down on.
Who they can feel better than at anytime they please.
Someone doin' somethin' dirty, decent folks can frown on.
If you can't find nobody else, then help yourself to me.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.