MDMA

Legal gun owner kills policeman

>well, gun owners, gun haters, residents of Bagdad, and all those
>with common sense disagree.

Ever been mugged? I have. Stopped the guy without a gun. That's happened to at least one other friend of mine; he stopped the mugger as well without a gun. Therefore, the correct answer to the question "are unarmed people helpless?" is no. Of course, that goes against what you see on TV, so it comes as a shock to many people.

Indeed, were it to come down to a showdown between Steve H (former teacher) and a gun-wielding guy, I'd put my money on Steve.

A mugger wants money. Rarely is interested in killing the victim, since it will generate a lot more heat for him. He also expects cooperation.

That's not the same as someone that wants to kill you. You feel as confident putting up your fists against such a person?

BTW, both of your anecdotes involved men.

A mugger wants money. Rarely is interested in killing the victim, since it will generate a lot more heat for him. He also expects cooperation.

That's not the same as someone that wants to kill you. You feel as confident putting up your fists against such a person?

Why would someone want to kill Billvon?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why would someone want to kill Billvon?

It's duck-hunting season?
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

You feel as confident putting up your fists against such a person?

Or giving him some money. Having never been mugged, I envision it as someone confronting me demanding money. It would seem to me to make more sense to give some money away rather that have a confrontation, even if I was carrying. I don't carry enough cash to make a difference anyway. Chance are if I am being mugged I am probably not alone either, so running or fighting(guns or otherwise) would probably not be prudent.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

You feel as confident putting up your fists against such a person?

Or giving him some money. Having never been mugged, I envision it as someone confronting me demanding money. It would seem to me to make more sense to give some money away rather that have a confrontation, even if I was carrying. I don't carry enough cash to make a difference anyway. Chance are if I am being mugged I am probably not alone either, so running or fighting(guns or otherwise) would probably not be prudent.

Uh, which part of the line before where you quoted me was confusing to you? "That's not the same as someone that wants to kill you."

We're not talking about a mugging. We're talking about someone who wishes (in this hypothetical) Bill to be no more. Maybe he covets his wife, the classic story.

Unarmed, I'd agree that running is one of the best options, but that again is more likely to be true for a mugging then someone breaking into your house, or lying in wait for you near the doorway. If the target has a gun, the killer has to be worried about getting fired upon. Even if he gets off the first shot, killing the victim, there will still be opportunity for return fire. But if that victim is unarmed, there are no such worries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A .222 calibre rifle, commonly used in pest control, was recovered from the scene.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

uhh..... used for pest control?!?

I have a .223 rifle. They sell "Varmint" rounds for it.

Varmint (noun)
any usually predatory wild animal considered undesirable; e.g., coyote

uhh..... used for pest control?!?

I have a .223 rifle. They sell "Varmint" rounds for it.

Varmint (noun)
any usually predatory wild animal considered undesirable; e.g., coyote Hippie

Fixed it for you.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Yep I misread your post in haste. I was simply skimming to fast. I read your post as a mugger usually has no intent to kill so it is not the same debate as someone that wants to kill you. So because of this(mugger not wanting to kill) you feel confident putting up your fists against such a person(mugger). I realize now what you meant. The use of "as" and "?" in the sentence I quoted are what I overlooked.
Sorry.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Why is it that only gun crime is reported like this?

Why is the headline never:

"Legal knife owner kills policeman."

"Legal match owner sets building on fire."

"Legal car owner kills 2."

A gun doesn't cause crime anymore than a knife or car does, so why do people focus on the weapon only in gun crimes?

ermm you answered your own question, well in a way. What you seem to "forget" is that a gun was designed soley as a weapon to kill, yeah yeah we can argue that they are now used for target practice, or shooting clay pigeons.. etc but they were still invented with a single purpose...

Now neither the Knife, the car, the match, alcohol, drugs or even cricket bats are desinged with the sole purpose of killing... which makes you your point somewhat moot.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

A gun doesn't cause crime anymore than a knife or car does, so why do people focus on the weapon only in gun crimes?

ermm you answered your own question, well in a way. What you seem to "forget" is that a gun was designed soley as a weapon to kill, yeah yeah we can argue that they are now used for target practice, or shooting clay pigeons.. etc but they were still invented with a single purpose...

No neither the Knife, the car, the match, alcohol, drugs or even cricket bats are desinged with the sole purpose of killing...

Oddly enough, my guns haven't killed anything...they must be broken!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

No neither the Knife, the car, the match, alcohol, drugs or even cricket bats are desinged with the sole purpose of killing...

and your point is, oh you dont have one:S:S

incase you didnt realise whether "your" guns have ever killed anyone does not detract from the FACT that they are and always will be a "weapon" thats what they were invented as and thats what they are.. this is not the same for the "car", or the "knife" or the "baseball bat"
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

.. this is not the same for the "car", or the "knife" or the "baseball bat"

Not true, depends on the purpose for which they were purchased. I have guns that were NEVER intended to kill anything. Small caliber target rifles are an example.

So, what generalization do you want debunked next??:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

and your point is, oh you dont have one:S:S

incase you didnt realise whether "your" guns have ever killed anyone does not detract from the FACT that they are and always will be a "weapon" thats what they were invented as and thats what they are.. this is not the same for the "car", or the "knife" or the "baseball bat"

Then rocks were designed for killing (Cain / Abel). Your argument about design is without merit.

You are (again and still) trying to blame the tool for the action of the user. A person determined to kill will use any tool to hand...just as you can put a person that is NOT determined to kill in a room full of guns, knives and chainsaws and he will just sit there.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Damn, mine must be too....

<>

But that could change in a heart-beat.

Not all gun owners are as responsible as you (or un lucky) or there would never be any accidental shootings or temper related ones (like the OP). I'm sure that the gun owner did not start the day planning to kill anyone, it just turned out that way but couldn't have done if he had not had a gun.
The fact that the cop was armed did not save him, either.

It was a total waste, 2 people died in a heart-beat and many more peoples lives were ruined for ever.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Not being and Englshman, let me take a shot at it:

Specifying "legal" in the news headline is common in the UK where guns are not legal unless specifically allowed under strict legal control. The assumption is that if you have a gun it's illegal unless specifically authorized.

The US is different.

In the UK the crook mentality is that if the cops are coming, they are not coming to shoot your ass dead for your infraction. They are coming simply to bring you in.

In the US, cops are coming armed and quite prepared to blow your ass away so you'd better be armed and ready for them right up front.

Different culture, different approaches.
I like the UK way much, much better.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Got it in one. I have quite a good relationship with most the crooks in the area I work. We try to keep it a nice old fashioned style where we all know the score and have friendly banter when we cross paths. When we catch them they know its just their bad luck and us doing our job. We are on first name terms. Obviouslly there are the 100% scumbags out there that just dont care too.

Damn, mine must be too....

Seung-Hui Cho' guns must have been too, up until the time he shot the first of his 32 victims.

Your point is completely and utterly stupid.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

this is not the same for the "car", or the "knife" or the "baseball bat"

Wrong

The knife and the club were both originally designed to kill (prey and other people).

Edit: I believe the original purpose of the "Car" was to enable people to more readily have access to custome "Knife and Club" stores.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

...just as you can put a person that is NOT determined to kill in a room full of guns, knives and chainsaws and he will just sit there.

Most of us will just sit there or play solitaire or examine the tools.

Apparently many, though, will wet themselves and cower in a corner.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>

But that could change in a heart-beat.

Not all gun owners are as responsible as you (or un lucky) or there would never be any accidental shootings or temper related ones (like the OP). I'm sure that the gun owner did not start the day planning to kill anyone, it just turned out that way but couldn't have done if he had not had a gun.
The fact that the cop was armed did not save him, either.

It was a total waste, 2 people died in a heart-beat and many more peoples lives were ruined for ever.

If you want absoultes (like respoinsibility) you are living on the wrong planet:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln