quade

Great . . . the second coming.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/16/miami.preacher/index.html

Sigh.

I'm all for people believing in whatever they want to believe in, but WHY do jackasses have to take money from poor people and call themselves god?

Because that's how religion works. I found this paragraph particularly amusing,

If Creciendo en Gracia is an atypical religious group, de Jesus also does not fit the mold of the average church leader. De Jesus flouts traditional vows of poverty.

ROFL. The average church leader takes a vow of poverty? On which particular planet does this happen?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

WHY do jackasses have to take money from poor people

again the issue of people exploiting those with beliefs

he could be a politician

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Karl Marx was dead right about religion. This guy is just an extreme example.

Do you think it's very wise to judge religion based on the actions of those who abuse it?

When the abuse is as widespread as it has been throughout all history, YES, I believe the only logical explanation is that there is a systemic problem with religion.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Do you think it's very wise to judge religion based on the actions of those who abuse it?

When the abuse is as widespread as it has been throughout all history, YES, I believe the only logical explanation is that there is a systemic problem with religion.

Atheism hasn't been that kind either. We better abolish it. ;)

steveOrino

Shut down every atheist church, revoke their tax exemptions, and fire all the atheists' priests - just fine with me as long as you do the same for all other religions' organizations and leaders.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Shut down every atheist church, revoke their tax exemptions, and fire all the atheists' priests - just fine with me as long as you do the same for all other religions' organizations and leaders.

What I read here is that religion isn't the problem, but Organized Religion is. I completely agree. (If it's organized on a large scale to the point where it creates fanatics and non-beleivers masquerading as believers for personal gain, it's a problem. Including the religion of atheism.)

I totally agree with the actions. And, do it worldwide. And, for the atheist's religion, you will, of course, have to find the analogies for them in terms of "priests" and "churches" if any. Maybe, "priests" are those that make a living off of those with the atheist belief. "Churches"? I dunno...

Let me know how that works out.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I was referring to atheist idealogies, like the USSR's

steveOrino

I'd suggest that Religion or lack of is never a problem, it's fanatical folk, flok that push their beliefs on others that caused the problems... ignore them and they'll [hopefully] go away.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Communism wasn't built upon atheism, it just incorporates it.

Christianity wasn't built upon greed, power, carnage, and ethnic cleansing, it just incorporated it. ;)

steveOrino

Christianity wasn't built upon greed, power, carnage, and ethnic cleansing, it just incorporated it. ;)

Well there's the difference then.

Atheism has never incorporated greed, power, carnage and ethnic cleansing, communism and christianity have.

Nice.

Obviously I was speaking of state religions and personal power/money hungry "preachers".

Christianity as defined as being a follower of Christ's teaching did none of that. In fact, quite the opposite.

Perhaps it would have been more accurate to say greed, power, carnage and ethnic cleansing incorporated some of Christianity.

steveOrino

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/16/miami.preacher/index.html

Sigh.

I'm all for people believing in whatever they want to believe in, but WHY do jackasses have to take money from poor people and call themselves god?

"If you want to get rich, you start a religion."
-L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology

I think that pretty much says it all.