Andy9o8

Six Muslim Clerics Removed from USAir Flight for Praying

No, it's not. If you think it is, that says something much worse about you than it does about them.

There are any number of minorities who run around with a chip on their shoulder, and look for opportunities to get it knocked off. If you can't see that, then you are wearing rose colored glasses.

I can name any number of incidents from Cyntia McKinney to Rosie O'Donnell only yesterday.

No, it's not. If you think it is, that says something much worse about you than it does about them.

There are any number of minorities who run around with a chip on their shoulder, and look for opportunities to get it knocked off. If you can't see that, then you are wearing rose colored glasses.

I'm looking, and what I see is any number of facist neo-cons who use any weak excuse they can come up with to further justify their one-flag, one religion, one sexual orientation, one race, no Bill of Rights America.

If you can't see that ...
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That means one direction, one flag, one purpose. That is the true freedom of all of mankind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh? That's a pretty strong statement, which as stated I do not grasp. Can you elaborate?

I knew that it didn't look right, but hey, it was Friday night.

The main purpose of this country is to promote the true freedom of mankind.

There is a bit of a quandry concerning Islam. If they are given rein to practise their religion to its fullest extent, the rest of the world would be in submission to them. Let's not kid ourselves. It is their long term goal, and they are not above using terror to acheive their goal, mostly because the message that they have to offer just isn't that appealing.

...concerning Islam. If they are given rein to practise their religion to its fullest extent, ...

In the US, the First Amendment already gives them that rein.

And it doesn't prohibit others (like cartoonists) from offering criticisms.

True, but that's a separate issue from the topic of the thread.

See, when someone says "if we give Muslims free rein to practice their religion to its fullest extent..." it makes me think of others, during my lifetime, who've said, "if we let THOSE people move into white neighborhoods any time they want..."

> The main purpose of this country is to promote the true freedom of mankind.

Well, no. The true purpose of this country is to allow _americans_ to remain free. The US constitution doesn't apply to Laos, or Nigeria.

> There is a bit of a quandry concerning Islam. If they are given rein to
> practise their religion to its fullest extent, the rest of the world would be in
>submission to them.

That's true of christianity too. (Remember the Crusades?) So nowadays we let people do whatever they want, but we have a strict separation between church and state. No holy wars - but if you want to pray to Christ, God, Allah, Vishnu or the FSM, go for it.

>Let's not kid ourselves. It is their long term goal, and they are not above
> using terror to acheive their goal, mostly because the message that they
>have to offer just isn't that appealing.

You're thinking of Al Qaeda. Claiming all muslims are like Al Qaeda is like claiming all christians are like Timothy McVeigh.

Bottom Line: They were disruptive on an airline flight. The rules for removing passengers in such a case are content-neutral. If I started singing Insane Clown Posse songs in a loud voice, I'd be rightfully removed.

YOU DON'T FUCK ABOUT AND CAUSE A SCENE ON AN AIRLINER.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

They were disruptive on an airline flight

They did absolutely nothing on the plane but go to their seats and sat down. Three of them prayed in the terminal. No law against praying. Again they did nothing wrong. Someone passed a note to an attendent pointing out that some Arabic men were getting on the plane. No law against Arabic people boarding planes. They were not disruptive. It was the ignorance of the note passer that was wrong. It really does seem that Bin Laden is winning as he is being succesful in turning Americans against Americans. All of the clerics are American. He is being succesful in cultivating fear of Islam. Of all of the Muslims I have met, they all have been kind and courteous. I have no fear of them as Al qaeda does not represent Islam. To those who lump the two together, shame on you for taking the bait that Al qaeda laid out as you are only assisting the enemy by doing so. Educate yourself and Bin Laden and his kind will go away.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

We have all been inconvenienced to some degree in the wake of 9/11. Arabic men should be the least surpised when they get some extra scrutiny, and they should stop their damn whining.

I'll bet you $1000 that Americans (caucasian) men travelling to Iran get some extra scrutiny there. Would I whine about it? No. It is expected.

If these men had any class, they would talk to reporters and explain that they understand why people might be afraid, but they hope people can understand that they deplore violence and seek peace.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I'll bet the note said a lot more than "some Arabic men were getting on the plane".

They also said some things that were suspicious in the terminal.

Islamofacists have cultivated a fear of Islam, and other Muslims are afraid to speak out forcefully against it because of a fear for their lives. I think that makes the Islamofacists in control of Islam.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

...concerning Islam. If they are given rein to practise their religion to its fullest extent, ...

Incorrect. You are allowed to practice your religion to the fullest extent so long as it complies with all other laws (this is not free rein). Native Americans, Rastafarians, etc... are not allowed to perform rituals that do not comply with laws regarding drug cultivation and usage.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Bottom Line: They were disruptive on an airline flight. The rules for removing passengers in such a case are content-neutral. If I started singing Insane Clown Posse songs in a loud voice, I'd be rightfully removed.

YOU DON'T FUCK ABOUT AND CAUSE A SCENE ON AN AIRLINER.

People get kicked off for alot less these days.

Excuse me, would you mind stowing that for takeoff?

No paralleles implied here, but I do alot of flying and I've seen more than my share of incidents between passengers and crew. I can tell you there are generally a lot more to these than what would be reported in the abbreviated news wires.

I'll bet the note said a lot more than "some Arabic men were getting on the plane".

They also said some things that were suspicious in the terminal.

Islamofacists have cultivated a fear of Islam, and other Muslims are afraid to speak out forcefully against it because of a fear for their lives. I think that makes the Islamofacists in control of Islam.

Not that again... you're just going to belive what you want to belive regardless of the facts.:S
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Incorrect. You are allowed to practice your religion to the fullest extent so long as it complies with all other laws (this is not free rein). Native Americans, Rastafarians, etc... are not allowed to perform rituals that do not comply with laws regarding drug cultivation and usage.

Strawman argument.
These guys were not smoking ganja or taking peyote on the plane.

If these men had any class, they would talk to reporters and explain that they understand why people might be afraid, but they hope people can understand that they deplore violence and seek peace.

good note - there are six of them, I assume a couple might actually do that and the others will whine and make a bunch of noise about it. Which are classy and which will play the 'victim' here? No different than any other 'group' here nowadays. But we'll hear the interviews of the 'victims' before anything else. It sells better.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The whole thing was bullshit.

I'm not going to let a handful of Al Quaeda fanatics cause me to live in fear. This is America.

Living in a free country involves some risk. If you don't have the balls to take the risks inherent in a free country, move to someplace less free.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Strawman argument.
These guys were not smoking ganja or taking peyote on the plane.

The original statement was that the First Amendment gave religion free rein and the reply was providing a case in which it doesn't. Please read previous posts before replying to statements made.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

The whole thing was bullshit.

I'm not going to let a handful of Al Quaeda fanatics cause me to live in fear. This is America.

Living in a free country involves some risk. If you don't have the balls to take the risks inherent in a free country, move to someplace less free.

Just as with skydiving, I try to minimize my risk.

Bottom Line: They were disruptive on an airline flight.

No they werent! Get the freaking story straight! They prayed in the terminal!

Ah, but nobody wants to be inconvenienced with the facts. Oh well, here they are anyway:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15824096/

***A passenger raised concerns about the imams — three of whom said their normal evening prayers in the airport terminal before boarding the Phoenix-bound plane, according to one — through a note passed to a flight attendant, according to Andrea Rader, a spokeswoman for US Airways.

...three members of the group prayed in the terminal before the six boarded the plane. They entered individually, except for one member who is blind and needed to be guided,