Andy9o8

Six Muslim Clerics Removed from USAir Flight for Praying

>Based on what you've read about this incidendent, do you think the
> passengers and flight crew were completely unjustified about being
> alarmed by the behavior of these six men?

Is their fear understandable? Yes; a lot of people nowadays are afraid of arabs, especially muslims who are particularly religious.

Was the action taken (arrest and questioning) appropriate? I don't think so.

Take this example. A scruffy black man is seen late at night in a terminal. The cops in the airport have seen blacks commit far more crimes than whites in the terminal.

Appropriate action - ask him if he has a ticket and ID. If he is indeed there for a flight, no problem. If he's not - perhaps further action is warranted.

Inappropriate action - arrest him for being in the terminal, because he's black and scary and because blacks commit all the crimes.

Now, if this black man was also regaling the cops with anti-american speeches, then he should know better; that's not appropriate behavior when a cop asks you for something. That still does not justify his being arrested.

So, if you were on that plane and witnessed all the goings on, you would have been indifferent?

> it doesn't make any difference to most people what race or religion someone is.

You honestly believe that when it comes to fear, people fear people who look just like they do as much as they fear someone who looks/acts different? A short perusal of history indicates that has not been the case.

>If I was cut of and almost involved in an accident with 6 red cars in
>the past year, I'd be a little more wary everytime I saw a red car.

Right. But if you lived in a city where everyone had a red car, you'd be less wary, because you'd be used to red cars. If very few people had a red car, you'd be on high alert every time you saw one, because they were a perceived threat AND they were unusual.

If 19 Catholics had hi-jacked planes and flown them into buildings killing over 3000 people in the name of Jesus Christ, I'd be willing to bet that later if 6 Catholic Preists were praying in an airport terminal praising Jesus Christ, they might have received the same treatment as these 6 Imams got.

Why do people keep refering back to 9/11, yet have no problem with their country more or less giving up on bringing those responsible to justice?

Just because OBL hasn't been found doesn't mean he been given up on. Heck Eric Rudolph hid in the N.C. mountains for 6 years before he was found.

Why isn't their a mass outpouring of anger that the mission in Afghanistan is more or less abandoned by the US, or at least put well down the list of priorities?

Because it hasn't been abandoned. Iraq just gets more press.

Are many Americans really that dumb that they think Iraq had so much more to do with 9/11 that it was a more important war to fight than Afghanistan?

I have no idea why you think this statement has anything to do with imams praying in an airport. Perhaps you need to start another thread?

Personally, I don't think America as a nation has much right left to keep using 9/11. How can you keep bringing it up as a justification when the actions of the country to bring those responsible to justice have been on a continuous decline?

So you think people can just easily forget about 9/11 when boarding an airplane in the US? Do you think that whether or not the US has declined in it's persuit of OBL somehow gives comfort or a greater sense of ill-ease to those about to board a plane? By your reasoning, there should be a lessening of the threat of another terror attack if OBL was caught tomorrow. I don't think so.

-

> it doesn't make any difference to most people what race or religion someone is.

You honestly believe that when it comes to fear, people fear people who look just like they do as much as they fear someone who looks/acts different? A short perusal of history indicates that has not been the case.

>If I was cut of and almost involved in an accident with 6 red cars in
>the past year, I'd be a little more wary everytime I saw a red car.

Right. But if you lived in a city where everyone had a red car, you'd be less wary, because you'd be used to red cars. If very few people had a red car, you'd be on high alert every time you saw one, because they were a perceived threat AND they were unusual.

If 1 chinese guy, 1 black woman, 1 white woman, 1 hispanic guy, 1 Canadian guy and 1 American woman were together at an airport and were praising Jesus Christ, Allah, Buddah or any other religious icon after 19 worshipers of selected icon had flown planes into buildings in Japan, Sweden, and Australia, killing over 3000 people and had additionally over the years blown up British Navy vessils, Hungarian Army barracks all in the name of said religion, had switched seats, made anti "every religion but mine" statements, I'd be very wary of them.

-

Are you ignoring the current reports from the airmarsshalls and the eye witness reports

these 6 were doing way more than just praying or what your posts says////
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If 1 chinese guy, 1 black woman, 1 white woman, 1 hispanic guy, 1 Canadian guy and 1 American woman were together at an airport and were praising Jesus Christ, Allah, Buddah or any other religious Icon after 19 worshipers of selected Icon had flown planes into buildings in Japan, Sweden, and Australia, killing over 3000 people and had additionally over the years blown up British Navy vessils, Hungarian Army barracks all in the name of said religion, had switched seats, made anti "every religion but mine" statements, I'd be very wary of them.

I had to read that 3 times, and now I'm winded.
This is getting silly.

Are you ignoring the current reports from the airmarsshalls and the eye witness reports

Tell you what - you compile all the conflicting factual reports and claims - sort them all by nature of claim and agenda of speaker - then organize the data onto an Excel flowchart. Get back to us when you're done. We'll take it from there.

>If 1 chinese guy, 1 black woman, 1 white woman, 1 hispanic guy, 1
>Canadian guy and 1 American woman were together at an airport . . .

I guess winter has finally arrived here on Speaker's Corner. But fear not; I am sure someone will argue with you about whatever that was you just posted.

Tell you what - you compile all the conflicting factual reports and claims - sort them all by nature of claim and agenda of speaker - then organize the data onto an Excel flowchart. Get back to us when you're done. We'll take it from there.

do that yourself[:/]

My point has been all along that the US bashers jumped on sensationalist reporting. Duped by a media that has a story line to follow instead of waiting a bit and getting both sides.

They then watch as the whole thing gets blown out of context and is factually incorrect or incomplete.

Having fun??
Abraham Lincoln

If 1 chinese guy, 1 black woman, 1 white woman, 1 hispanic guy, 1 Canadian guy and 1 American woman were together at an airport and were praising Jesus Christ, Allah, Buddah or any other religious Icon after 19 worshipers of selected Icon had flown planes into buildings in Japan, Sweden, and Australia, killing over 3000 people and had additionally over the years blown up British Navy vessils, Hungarian Army barracks all in the name of said religion, had switched seats, made anti "every religion but mine" statements, I'd be very wary of them.

This is getting silly.

It got silly when people started claiming "they were just praying".

>Based on what you've read about this incidendent, do you think the
> passengers and flight crew were completely unjustified about being
> alarmed by the behavior of these six men?

Is their fear understandable? Yes; a lot of people nowadays are afraid of arabs, especially muslims who are particularly religious.

Was the action taken (arrest and questioning) appropriate? I don't think so.

Take this example. A scruffy black man is seen late at night in a terminal. The cops in the airport have seen blacks commit far more crimes than whites in the terminal.

Appropriate action - ask him if he has a ticket and ID. If he is indeed there for a flight, no problem. If he's not - perhaps further action is warranted.

Inappropriate action - arrest him for being in the terminal, because he's black and scary and because blacks commit all the crimes.

Now, if this black man was also regaling the cops with anti-american speeches, then he should know better; that's not appropriate behavior when a cop asks you for something. That still does not justify his being arrested.

So, if you were on that plane and witnessed all the goings on, you would have been indifferent?

I've seen "goings on " on planes that were far more wierd than these.

Working in a place with people from over 90 nations, I get used to seeing behavior that is not "standard".

People need to get a grip.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just because OBL hasn't been found doesn't mean he been given up on. Heck Eric Rudolph hid in the N.C. mountains for 6 years before he was found.

Just comparing effort, man power and money spent between Iraq and Afghanistan. It is clear that the US has put Afghanistan on the back burner ever since the Iraqi invasion began.

Because it hasn't been abandoned. Iraq just gets more press.

And Money, and man power and effort etc.

So you think people can just easily forget about 9/11 when boarding an airplane in the US? Do you think that whether or not the US has declined in it's persuit of OBL somehow gives comfort or a greater sense of ill-ease to those about to board a plane? By your reasoning, there should be a lessening of the threat of another terror attack if OBL was caught tomorrow. I don't think so.

No, I think it isn't valid to constantly bring it up as an excuse, while it is clear that policy of the US government has gone in a completely different direction. They continue to put less effort, money and manpower into Afghanistan while their actions in Iraq have made the terrorist threat bigger. In stead of harping on 6 imams, maybe the US should put more effort into finding those responsible for 9/11, bring them to justice and at the same time conduct themselves in such a manner that they are not increasing the terrorsit threat.

This is getting silly.

It got silly when people started claiming "they were just praying".

I thought it got silly when people started claiming America was made up of Muslims and non-Muslims. That completely ignores the fact that the US is the most ethnically, religiously, and racially diverse country on the planet.

do that yourself[:/]

Ooh. Sounds like my wife when she's telling me to stick it up my ass.

Do you listen to her?;)
Abraham Lincoln

That completely ignores the fact that the US is the most ethnically, religiously, and racially diverse country on the planet.

and you are claiming this based on?

If you are refuting what I'm saying, please tell me which country you believe to be more diverse.

Uh-uh-uh. He asked you first.

As of 2006, the United States accepts more legal immigrants as permanent residents than the rest of the world combined. While this alone doesn't prove GM's claim, it does shed some light on it.

The USA is the third largest nation in terms of population too. How does the immigration look on a per-capita basis?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As of 2006, the United States accepts more legal immigrants as permanent residents than the rest of the world combined. While this alone doesn't prove GM's claim, it does shed some light on it.

Which says absolutely nothing about diversity, just that many people are coming in.

The USA is the third largest nation in terms of population too. How does the immigration look on a per-capita basis?

the US also does terrible on the metric "immigrants per native koala bear" and "immigrants per extremely huge anthill" metric

we need a program to address that

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants