Mike111

history.?

Just read that somee countries only put their own history on the curriculum for their children of the future generations wtf?

Surely the day we we stop learning from other countries' mistakes and from each other is the day we doom ourselves.

Apparently the USA does this>:(.

All the Americnas, fire away in defence:|

Obviousely im not maknig it anything specific btu an Amerrican poster just said Us curriculum didn't involve other history. Now i can't think why anyone woould admitto that and lie:|

skydekker is Canadian - this is an antagonistic thread

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

not so much

I suspect there is a percentage of people in most every country that appreciates history and a larger bit that don't. The variation within school districts of any one country is likely larger than the variation between different industrialized countries.

Pick a country. Any country. Singling out Yanks or Brits or French, etc is just trolling - or just one more exercise of a posting group just stroking each other in their self perceived superiority.

I'm not really thrilled about the French bash thread either though. But it's silly of me to expect people to be respectful of each other and take each person one at a time. Better to just bash everyone in America, or all the RePUBICans, or all the liberals, or all the europeans, or all the red necks, or all the CrW dogs. Well, I can understand crw dawgs, they are all the same.

By the way, kerry served in vietnam, bush's eyes are way too close together, clinton got a blowjob.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

bit of humour mate.

you think with almost 2000 posts im trolling??

um-- yer.

the usa was just an example but if it caused offence then im sorry, it ha sbeen removed, hopefully, fi you realise, indicative of the fact this is not meant to offend.

If you have a problem with that, well unlucky i say. ive done more than enough to be fair.

Just read that somee countries only put their own history on the curriculum for their children of the future generations wtf?

I wonder what they teach about the history of South America in the UK.

I'd guess it's tradtional for UK schools to put special emphasis on North America, Africa, Austalia and Asia... considering they used to control parts of those continents. The key words being "used to".

Anyhow, as time passes, I'm guessing emphasis on those other parts of the globe will dwindle.

I'd think most European countries would stress European history, but not that much emphasis on SE Asia or Uraguay.

Please don't take offense. I'm just kind of thinking out loud.

It's been a long time since I was in primary school, but I clearly remember being taught all sorts of history, including Norse mythology, the Greek and Roman history, the entire European history (several years there), and American history up to the Vietnam War. There were some great teachers I had - Mrs. Simonian, Mr. Grant, and Mr. Marshall...

Your premise is incorrect on it's face. Sorry 'bout that.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I got a very good anecdote about the mentality and the knowledge of a British proffessor about South America.

My dad was specializing as cardiologyst, and one of the teachers, as well as most of his peers, assumed that in Venezuela everyone was indian, and we lived just like in national geographics documentary, in a hut, no electricity, no cars. Etc. To make a long story short, his professor was just a prick trying to belittle him in class, just because my was a Summa cum laudae from a little an unknow Ecuatorian university.:|
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I studied very little American history when I was going to Brazilian schools. On the other hand, I studied considerably less Brazilian history when I went to American schools.

I don't think it's unusual either way. Even the world history was kind of colored by the country I was living in. You study that world history that is relevant -- in Brazil, we didn't care so much about SE Asia as in the US.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I wonder what they teach about the history of South America in the UK.

On the flip side of that coin you can CERTAINLY hear the hatred of SOME of those raised in the South American Schools.... just watch the derision of anything English when a certain poster gets into it with a Brit.

I'm glad your education left you so well-versed in world history. I look forward to your future posts demonstrating the length, breadth and (especially) depth of that knowlege.

In the US, we tend to teach our children the basics of spelling, grammar, sentence composition and syntax first, and then move on to world history.
Are you demonstrating that in UK schools they just skip right over to world history? :P

OK, now let's talk about the Brits and their teeth...

We learn plenty of history of other places in school here. For example, we learned that the Dagos were too chicken to finances Columbus's trek, so he had to approach the gabacho Queen Isabella.

We learn that the British were assholes, and we wanted no part of their system of governance, so the Pilgrims came to North America.

We learned that the Limeys couldn't understand that we left them, so we kicked their asses starting in 1776.

Then we learned that the FEB's still didn't get it. Old Hickory helped kick their asses again in the War of 1812.

We learned about the Indian Nations, too. After we killed them all.

Then we learned about immigrants coming to our land because their homelands sucked asmost as much as Britain sucked.

Then we learned about the Spaniards - REMEMBER THE MAINE! A treacherous sort. We sent them packing.

Then we learned about the treacherous Germans and won the Great War. They didn't learn their lesson, though, and decided to have another go at it. We had practice killing them and the WOPS, so we took them out and left the Pacific loaded with crispy burning bodies.

We study all kinds of places and cultures because, hell, we like killing them.:)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You forgot the evil Mexicans. Remember the Alamo? We whipped them too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My dad was specializing as cardiologyst, and one of the teachers, as well as most of his peers, assumed that in Venezuela everyone was indian, and we lived just like in national geographics documentary, in a hut, no electricity, no cars. Etc. To make a long story short, his professor was just a prick trying to belittle him in class, just because my was a Summa cum laudae from a little an unknow Ecuatorian university

That reminds me of Rick Mercer's Talking to Americans.

Nothing like getting students and professors at Columbia University to sign a petition asking Canadians to discontinue the practice of abandoning the elderly on ice floes,

The USA doesn't set curricula. Curricula are set by states. States in turn delegate to various degrees onto counties and cities. Cities and counties in turn delegate to various degrees onto districts and individual schools.

The whole thing is a mishmash. There are no universal nationwide standards (although there has been a push lately to at least test for basics, in the No Child Left Behind program...).

That's public schools. Private schools & parents doing home schooling have nearly a free hand.

In most places you'll find a fair degree of international history gets taught.

My secondary school, a public school, had three years mandatory and common, followed by one year mandatory but selective.

IIRC the years broke down as:
1- Asia, ME, and Africa
2- Europe
3- Americas
4- Mandatory choice between specialized topics, mostly focused on contemporary subjects
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

You forgot the evil Mexicans. Remember the Alamo? We whipped them too.

Wendy W.

Interesting historical fact that an American wouldn't know - the hated General Santa Ana took up residence for some of his later years in New York City, where he introduced Americans to chicle. Yes, he was the person who brought what was to be chewing gum to the US.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

When i was a Junior in High School (Colorado) I slept with those girls who knew that Madrid was Capital of Spain and considered good friends those that knew that Spain was in Europe.

That year was basicly monogamous and didn´t have many friends. However i must admit that it wasn´t a huge high school, just a tad over 200 students.

We learn plenty of history of other places in school here. For example, we learned that the Dagos were too chicken to finances Columbus's trek, so he had to approach the gabacho Queen Isabella.

Gabacho is pejorative spanish slang for "french" Queen Isabel I "la catolica" was certainly spanish.