JohnRich

England: "Homicides Soar"

Why does a person need to carry a dirty great big knife in the UK?

What difference does it make whether the knife is dirty or clean?

And you want to critique UK culture. :D:D:D

And you apparantly have no understanding of American tongue-in-cheek humor.

Let's not forget that homicides are... DOWN in... Chicago...

How much are they DOWN in Chicago?
Why do you put "DOWN" in all capital letters?

Washington D.C.: The city has all the gun control laws that gun-o-phobes love, including a handgun ban, gun owner licensing and gun registration. Yet, they are having a police-declared "crime emergency", and have one of the highest crime rates in the nation.

Florida: The state has relaxed gun laws, and realtively easy to obtain concealed handgun licensing, with citizens carrying guns on their person and in their cars. And they also have a crime rate that is at a 30-year low.

So much for your correlations with gun-control laws and lower crime rates.

My question was based on the fact you claimed our laws were similar to your concerning the carry of a knife.

Of course you don't need a hunting knife to open boxes, although this particualar knife is much more comfortable to carry on a daily basis that a Stanley knife(thisis a very thin folder btw). Daily comfort is one of the factors in purchasing a utilitarian knife. And in this regard my Pro Hunter is much better than your standard Stanley-type Utility knife.
But back to the point. You claimed our laws are very similar to yours and that seems to have been an untruthful statement.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

For the life of me, I can't understand why the average American should really give two shits about what gun laws the Brits do and do not deem appropriate for themselves to have.

Anti-gun people like to use other places as examples for what they want to implement in the U.S. When it comes to showing what good the gun ban has done for British homicide rates (none), then that's important in American politics. When it comes to showing how much good gun registration has done for Canada (none), then that's important in American politics.

Gun owners also care about the gun rights of citizens in other countries - they don't like to see them deprived of their property and their sport for no good reason.

It's very sweet of you to care so little about the rights of others.

my favorite knife... is a folder with a... blade length of 3.5.
Is this knife legal over there?

It looks to me like that makes you a criminal in England, subject to two years in prison. And some politicians want to increase that to five years.

And you apparantly have no understanding of American tongue-in-cheek humor.

Hmm:S Where does this...

What difference does it make whether the knife is dirty or clean? I see that folding pocketknives with blades under 3-inches in length are legal. But I wouldn't automatically consider anyone with a 4" blade to be someone with evil intent who deserves 2 years in prison. And some members of Parliment want to make that 5 years!

.... sound any funny, or where do I have to look for your "American humour" ? :|

How deep do I have to dig to hit it? :o

Scratching head, walking away into the desert, into the sun set, searching for [snorting with laugther] HUMOUR!

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I don't normally speak for John but in this case in seems kind of obvious. Scoop claimed something to the effect that are laws in the states were very similar to those in the UK.

That is simply not true
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

I carry an inexpensive Remington Sport Series V folding knife. 3" blade, 7" overall. I clip it to the inside of my right front pocket (clip being outside, knife on the inside) for easy access. I can pull it out and flick my wrist to open and lock the blade one handed and stab or slash any unsuspecting box that looks at me funny in a blink of an eye. Of course I only carry it when I expect to come across these funny looking boxes especially if they might be holding hostage items of interest. :ph34r:

edited to add: so far I've managed to carry this knife for 3 years without causing myself or anyone else any harm.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

>Why do you put "DOWN" in all capital letters?

Emphasis. You know, like claiming that when something increases by 18% it's soaring. (Of course, had that been in an area with widespread gun ownership, an 18% increase would have been statistically insignificant.)

It looks to me like that makes you a criminal in England, subject to two years in prison. And some politicians want to increase that to five years.

And you care because?

I don't think that people who haven't done anything wrong should go to prison for years. Silly me!

Emphasis. You know, like claiming that when something increases by 18% it's soaring. (Of course, had that been in an area with widespread gun ownership, an 18% increase would have been statistically insignificant.)

I don't think you should be speaking on behalf of kallend. Let him take care of himself.

I didn't choose the word "soaring" - the newspaper did. But I think that it is a fitting adverb for an 18% increase.

kallend, on the other hand, uses all-capital letter "DOWN" emphasis to describe a drop in the Chicago murder rate from 447 to 446. That's right, just one single murder, or .002%. Do you think that this tiny little change warrants a decalaration of "DOWN" in all-capital letter emphasis as a fitting and proper description?

My advice is that you should think twice before defending such actions from others. You don't want to get involved in his brand of trickery and deceipt.

How many British electricians, carpenters, engineers, butchers you know that have not only been arrested but also been sent to prison :S

I think this is now you showing your lack of understanding for our culture. You don't go to prison for accidently walking home with your work knife still in your overall pocket.

I'll let you do some googling though and find some really obscure cae where that did happen. You search hard nd long enough you'll always find something to support your argument no matter how skewed the report or credible the source

I don't think you should be speaking on behalf of kallend. Let him take care of himself.

I didn't choose the word "soaring" - the newspaper did. But I think that it is a fitting adverb for an 18% increase.

kallend, on the other hand, uses all-capital letter "DOWN" emphasis to describe a drop in the Chicago murder rate from 447 to 446. That's right, just one single murder, or .002%. Do you think that this tiny little change warrants a decalaration of "DOWN" in all-capital letter emphasis as a fitting and proper description?

My advice is that you should think twice before defending such actions from others. You don't want to get involved in his brand of trickery and deceipt.

Well, JohnRich, in a previous thread YOU used the word "dramatic" to describe the drop. You tried to ascribe the word to me, but I didn't actually use it.

PS I capitalized "YOU" as well, just so others know who I'm referring to.:P

This is an interesting read.

Even after accounting for the Katrina effect, Houston's homicide rate went up 20% in one year. Now how long did it take the UK's rate to go up 25%?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why did you put "DOWN" in all capital letters?

To emphasize that they are not UP like in Texas, and to make it more difficult for you to misquote me. Maybe you should cast out the beam in your own eye before worrying about the mote in the UK (Matthew 7:5).

I originally wrote (before you misquoted me) that they are down (no capitals) in NYC, LA, Chicago and Detroit. Click on the link for proof.

Still awaiting your apology for misquoting me and then calling me a liar on the basis of your misquote.

A little bit of honesty goes a long way, John.

I originally wrote (before you misquoted me) that they are down (no capitals) in NYC, LA, Chicago and Detroit. Click on the link for proof.

proof was only half there. Texas covered, others not.

Rubbish - the link shows clearly that I wrote:
"I see that homicides are down in NYC, Chicago, Detroit and Los Angeles, though." with NO capitals and no qualifier on "down".

Warped tried to claim homicides are up in Chicago, so I corrected that with a "DOWN". JohnRich then misquoted it to claim I wrote "dramatic". It's all in the archives.

Phew! It sure is a good thing that in 1997 they banned handguns and semi-auto long guns!

Not correct... Picture of me firing a legal semi automatic long only a couple of weeks ago in the UK.

You're deceiving people. It looks like an AR-15 type rifle, which is generally semi-auto in centerfire .223 caliber. But those are banned in England. So why don't you explain how yours is different from the norm so that it still qualifies as legal. Is it .22 rimfire? If so, then that's not really an AR-15 type rifle, and it's but a small, limited exception to the law that bans semi-auto long guns. By saying that my statement was "incorrect", you were implying that semi-auto long guns are not banned at all, that anything still goes, and that is patently untrue.

Attached: photo of .223 versus .22 rimfire. I know which caliber I'd rather shoot: the .223 is good out to 600 yards. The .22 rimfire isn't worth crap beyond 100 yards. But I guess your government doesn't trust you with anything bigger than that little gnat cartridge.

Show me anywhere where I said it was a .223 AR15. Oh, thats right I didn't did I. So as it is a legal semi automatic long, put in simple English....Your statement is incorrect. As for the round, if fired by someone who can soot it will still kill you. However, seeing as I'm not looking for 'GOOKS IN THE WIRE!' at 600 yards but enjoying practical rifle sports shooting thats all a bit by the by. :D:D:D:D

But if you can actualy hit something at 600 without spay and pray then your in luck, just in case the Iranians decide to invade our government still 'trusts us' with full bore bolt action. In fact a mate has just got a Dragunov over here. ;)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Let's not forget that homicides are UP through most of the American south where guns are easy to acquire, and DOWN in NYC, LA and Chicago where guns are (in theory at least) banned.

Note to John Rich.. I did NOT write "dramatically" or "significantly" about the reduction in homicides, just like I didn't last time.

Aren't gun banned in DC?http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/13/AR2006071301745_pf.html

Guess I had to answer my own question>

IMPORTANT NOTE:

The District of Columbia has two sets of laws applicable to firearms. One, passed by Congress, is part of the D.C. Code (2001 ed. secs. 22-4501 et seq.) and regulates the purchase, possession and carrying of firearms. A newer law, passed in 1976 by the D.C. City Council requires all firearms to be registered, all owners to be licensed, and prohibits the sale of new handguns. It also prohibits anyone from bringing a handgun into the District or transporting a handgun through the city (D.C. Code 2001 ed. secs. 7-2501.01 et seq.).

This digest summarizes both the Congressional law and the City Council law. In many respects, the City Council law duplicates, and adds additional restrictions on possession and purchase of firearms. In some instances, the superimposed requirements of the City Council law conflict with the D.C. Code requirement.

Readers are cautioned that obeying the law requires compliance with both laws (or, in case of conflict, with the stricter of the two).

PURCHASE

Rifles and Shotguns

A person may buy or sell a firearm only from or to a licensed dealer in the District. Delivery cannot be made until the registration certificate for the firearm is approved by the Metropolitan Police Dept. Ammunition may be bought only for the caliber or gauge of a firearm registered to the buyer.

Handguns

The sale of handguns in the District is prohibited.

POSSESSION

Rifles and Shotguns

All rifles and shotguns must be registered with the Metropolitan Police. To obtain a registration certificate, the applicant must be 21 years old (or be over 18 and have a liability statement signed by his guardian), pass a vision test or have a valid D.C. driver`s license, and not be:

Convicted of a crime of violence or a weapons offense.
Under indictment for a crime of violence.
Convicted of a narcotics or an assault or battery charge within the last five years.
Acquitted of a crime by reason of insanity or adjudicated an alcoholic within the past five years.
Committed to a mental hospital within the past five years.
Suffering from a physical defect which might render his possession of a gun unsafe.
Found negligent in any firearm mishap.
No firearm may be acquired unless an application is first filed with the Metropolitan Police Department and a registration certificate issued.

Any person bringing a rifle or shotgun into the District must "immediately" notify the Identification and Records Division. An application for registration must be filed within 48 hours after such notification.

Handguns

No handgun can be legally possessed in the District unless it is registered. All handguns registered in the District prior to Sept. 24, 1976, were required to have been reregistered by Feb. 5, 1977. After that date, no more handguns could be registered.

Thus, it is unlawful to possess, acquire, or bring into D.C. any handgun which was not registered as of Feb. 5, 1977.

CARRYING

Carrying a handgun in the District is prohibited. All firearms are to be kept at one`s home or place of business.

All firearms must be unloaded and disassembled or locked with a trigger lock except when kept at a registrant`s place of business or while being used for lawful "recreational" purposes. A D.C. license to carry a pistol is needed for one`s home or business and the pistol must also have been registered prior to September 24, 1976.

Self-defense in one`s home with a firearm is therefore legally precluded.

NON-RESIDENTS

Nonresidents are prohibited (subject to the recreational activity exception) from carrying or possessing a firearm while traveling through the District unless the gun has been registered with the Metropolitan Police.

NOTE: As a practical matter, the police have advised that they will not interfere with nonresidents passing through the District with a firearm, providing the person does not stop, and the firearm is unloaded, securely wrapped and carried in the trunk.

RECREATIONAL ACTIVITY EXCEPTION

Residents and nonresidents of the District may possess firearms while going to or from and while engaged in lawful recreational firearms related activity, provided that their firearms are legally possessed in their place of residence. In addition, the person should be able to "exhibit proof" that he is on his way to such activity and must transport the firearm "unloaded, securely wrapped and carried in open view."

NOTE: A District resident must ensure that his firearms are registered with the police and he may not borrow, loan, give or rent another person`s firearms.

ANTIQUES AND REPLICAS

An antique firearm is any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system manufactured in or before 1898 and any replica of any firearm so described if such replica: is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or uses rimfire or conventional ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade. Such firearms are exempt from the registration requirement. Also exempt from the registration and license to carry requirement are antique pistols unsuitable for use as firearms.

NOTE: The reader should be aware that there is a problem with conflicting definitions of replicas. The old Code only exempted pistols "unsuitable for use" from the statutory restrictions. The D.C. police have advised that they are not registering replicas, and a loaded operational replica will be considered a "lethal weapon" and cannot be possessed in that condition.

NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT FIREARMS

Machine guns, which are defined as firearms which automatically fire more than one shot by a single function of the trigger and includes semi-automatic weapons which fire more than 12 shots without manual reloading, are prohibited.

NOTE: This prohibition extends to all semi-automatic firearms which can be fitted with a clip or magazine containing 12 or more cartridges. This includes .22 caliber rifles with 15 shot tube magazines as well as automatic pistols with 14 shot clips.

MISCELLANEOUS

Any person who commits a crime of violence "when armed with or having readily available any pistol or other firearm (or imitation thereof)" shall, in addition to the sentence received for the crime itself, also receive an additional sentence.

It is unlawful to possess any firearm, including an imitation handgun, with intent to use it unlawfully against another.

It is unlawful to change, alter, remove or obliterate the maker`s name, manufacturer`s number or other mark of identification on any handgun. Possession of a handgun with an altered mark shall create a legal presumption that the possessor committed the offense.

It is unlawful to carry a gun within 1000 feet of a public or private day care center, elementary school, vocational school, secondary school, college, junior college, or university, or any public swimming pool, playground, video arcade, or youth center, or an event sponsored by any of the above entities.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Why did you put "DOWN" in all capital letters?

To emphasize that they are not UP like in Texas...

This is the third time I've asked now - no answer was received the first two times. I wonder why you hesitate to answer that question? What was it you said about a little bit of HONESTY?

Show me anywhere where I said it was a .223 AR15. Oh, thats right I didn't did I.

Oh, I see. So you like to deceive people, just like kallend, by providing info that seems to indicate one thing, when in fact something completely different is actually the truth.

kallend likes to lead people to believe that there is some great DOWNward trend in murder in Chicago, when in fact it's down only .002%, and is still one of the worst cities in the nation.

And you like to lead people to believe that you can own a standard caliber semi-auto AR-15 in England, when in fact you can't, and it's not much more than just a toy gun, in .22 rimfire.

You guys are made for each other. kallend: meet Skyrad. Skyrad: meet kallend.

kallend likes to lead people to believe that there is some great DOWNward trend in murder in Chicago, when in fact it's down only .002%, and is still one of the worst cities in the nation.

Chicago homicides are down by 25% since 2003 and 30% since 2002 (FBI UCR data). How are things in Houston, John?

And despite repeated requests you can't provide a link to any post where I stated anything other than that homicides were down in Chicago. No adjectives like "dramatically" or phrases like "great downward trend". You can't provide a link because there isn't one - you continue to lie about it, over and over. I suppose the theory is that if you lie enough someone will believe you.

PS JohnRich, you should sue whoever taught you mathematics. Your ability to compute percentages sucks big time. You are wrong by a factor of over 100, and you accuse me of exaggerating!