goofyjumper

Bush Eases Environmental Rules on Gas!

honey... the spigots are open....

They are pumping pretty damn fast.
The problem is speculation.

Can't blame Bush if she admits to this.......
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Ever heard of the superfund and the associated fiasco?<

And from what years was this created? Educate yourself. I don't have the time and you would call my numbers, articles and souces bs anyway.

So, I know you call your self the winner. Go ahead:S

The fiasco is not when the superfund was created, but that it was allowed to dry up. The basis was that "the polluters pay" for the cleanup of toxic sites. Well, now tha the 'polluter pays tax' expired, guess what : the corporations pollute, and Joe 6 pack taxpayer gets to foot the clean-up bill.

Sweet

Z

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I was refering more to when the waste sites were created. I believe the companies that created them should clean them up. Get the gov involved and it is a sure FUBAR
Abraham Lincoln

I was refering more to when the waste sites were created. I believe the companies that created them should clean them up. Get the gov involved and it is a sure FUBAR

I AGREE 100%, in theory. :)
The problem is, many of those companies either went out of business after creating a huge mess, or flat out refuse to do the clean up.

Most corporations are concerned with turning a profit, and are not all that concerned with cleaning up any mess they might make. Ethics, in this instance, just do not come into play.

The idea of the superfund was to make companies with a potential of creating hazardous waste pay into a fund that would then be used to clean those messes up. Now that the fund is dried up, you and I are left to pay for the corporate bozos who ran off with profits, and left a big shit pile behind.

Z

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

honey... the spigots are open....

They are pumping pretty damn fast.
The problem is speculation.

Can't blame Bush if she admits to this.......

Because it was the people buying on speculation who eased the environmental regs?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>So are you suggesting that raking in huge profits and pricing the
> product to be expensive might not be in the best long-term
> interests of the oil companies?

Right - but "long term" is the key indicator there. Most companies don't plan much beyond 10 years. See Enron for an example of excellent short-term planning without much consideration for the future.

>Those oil companies really are stupid.

Some are. Some (like BP) are getting involved in alternate energy sources in a big way. The smart money will be on companies like them in the next 20 years.

>There is no reason not to drill in ANWAR.

Yes, there is. It's our last big reserve of oil. And guess what our military runs on? Those F-14's don't run on E85.

Which means that if we don't have oil that WE can protect, we can't fight. Best to leave it there for now, while we still have the cheapest gas around. If we drill it all as quickly as possible to get gas prices down in the next few years, then OPEC just has to bide their time until we use up _all_ our domestic sources of oil. We will then be dependent on the rest of the world for our military to function - and then the oil producing countries can do whatever the hell they want and we will stand there and take it.

Would you rather the US or Iran runs out of cheap oil sooner?

>Do you know where the US get most of its oil?

#1 source is Mexico. #5 source is Venezuela. You really want Hugo Chavez deciding when he wants our military to operate?

Which means that if we don't have oil that WE can protect, we can't fight. Best to leave it there for now, while we still have the cheapest gas around. If we drill it all as quickly as possible to get gas prices down in the next few years, then OPEC just has to bide their time until we use up _all_ our domestic sources of oil. We will then be dependent on the rest of the world for our military to function - and then the oil producing countries can do whatever the hell they want and we will stand there and take it.

Bill - you have just given me the best argument I've ever heard for leaving that oil there. Highly pragmatic.

I've now changed my mind on this issue. I cannot argue with that one bit.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You do have some nuclear reactors

Yes we do. But I don't think they are in Alberta. So you'll have to invade the entire country if you want our oil and to protect us from our nuclear ambitions. Oh and let's not forget that we are in desperate need of having a democratic government installed (or at least this is what you can tell to the American public in order to convince them that going to war with Canada is the right thing to do). :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Which means that if we don't have oil that WE can protect, we can't fight. Best to leave it there for now

You guys could always invade and occupy Alberta and steal our oil.

.....which is the #2 of oil imports into the US
Abraham Lincoln

Actully the biggest reserves we have are in CO.

They say there are two very large reserves there .......one is hard to get though
Abraham Lincoln

Not after we invade 'em! That'll show those beer-swilling, funny-talking canucks who their daddy is.

Not pointlessly bloodthirsty enough, Bill. If you want to be believed you have to rant about the joy of shooting people in the head and avenging the deaths of innocent americans with the deaths of innocent canadians.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Some are. Some (like BP) are getting involved in alternate energy sources in a big way. The smart money will be on companies like them in the next 20 years.

I hope so.
For all the news of record profits, my tiny stake in BP has barely moved. Where's my cut?

>.....which is the #2 of oil imports into the US

Not after we invade 'em! That'll show those beer-swilling, funny-talking canucks who their daddy is.

:D:D

whew, you got me with that one!!!! thanks:)
Abraham Lincoln

Why, you got Bush to hate

enjoying those who are "stuck on stupid"....

See you must Love the Shrub and Co to death then since you ENJOY those who are stuck on stupid and you guys do nothing but apologize.. apologize.. rationalize ALL of their stupidity..:S

Problem is, I agree with other posts on this thread, the only thing it'll do is put more $$$ in the pockets of the companies. Gas is a supply and demand product: as long as people are willing to pay $3 a gallon, they'll keep charging $3 a gallon. Shit, wouldn't you? :S

True, but you would be amazed at how many different formulations the refineries are required to make. That is what is choking the supply, on top of the refining capacity we need more of.

If we can even cut the number of formulations in half, it would be a huge benefit. Shit, the formulations of the fuel being sold in Washington DC are different from the ones being sold in Arlington VA, just across the river, and less than 10 miles away. All the different silly formulations that the city, county and state goverments require is what is out of control.

Do the research. Most county governments are the ones that impose this kind of crap.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

> Most county governments are the ones that impose this kind of crap.

Agreed. But what to do? Pass a law that makes it illegal for counties/states to set their own regulations on what fuel is sold there? I don't know if that should be the job of the federal government (although they do have a role in setting standards that people can choose to follow.)

guess who pays for their campaigning?

Next point - what the hell does Bush care about campaign contributions?

Well for starters I see why you ask that question, but it is because he owes them from the begining! He is returning the favor for all the money in the beginning!
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla