2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

13 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

They are variable in the long term as well, the temperatures and seas were much higher 7000 years ago and the and the temperatures and seas were much lower 500 years ago.  We had mega droughts, massive content burning wildfires, floods that killed tens of thousands, 6000 years ago the Sahara was a lush tropical grassland now it is one of the driest places on earth, all with preindustrial levels of CO2.  Please don't tell me that there is (or ever was) anything "stable" and "predicable" about our climate.

I didn't say there was anything stable and predictable, I said "The predictability we're looking for doesn't mean and perfect spread of weather but an end to a feedback loop."   We're not trying to eliminate natural variability, we're trying to eliminate the variability caused by our own actions that have a short term AND long term effect on our species.  

You're talking about things that happened because of a confluence of the end of an ice age and THE TILT OF THE PLANET.  This is referred to as the Holocene Climatic Optimum.

We'll get to another of those periods and we will have to deal with it.  Right now we're dealing with our own manmade issues that we need to reverse before they get out of control.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Did you notice that it is called the Holocene Climatic Optimum and not the Holocene Climatic Apocalypse, and it was MUCH warmer than what we have today.   

And just LOOK at what happened to the animals that lived then - 

Mastodon, Sabre Toothed Tiger, Mammoths, 

Where are they now?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Where are they now?

Excellent point! If Brent has his way I'll be able to get my own therapy Mammoth.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 1:08 PM, turtlespeed said:

Where are they now?

They were lazy liberal freeloaders who couldn't be bothered to work hard and move someplace nicer.

(edited)
16 hours ago, billvon said:

They were lazy liberal freeloaders who couldn't be bothered to work hard and move someplace nicer.

No, it was all of those Neanderthals driving around in SUVs. Which, coincidentally is the same reason you think it is happing today. (laughing emoji inserted as mine doesn't seem to work)

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Pretty naive to think oil companies did not spend lobbying dollars on this.

At a basic level he knows that.  But if you deny climate change, you have to work really hard to intentionally misunderstand things.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:44 PM, kallend said:

If they PROVED CONCLUSIVELY that the AGW research carried out to date was so flawed as to be incorrect, they would probably win a Nobel and get job offers at all the top research universities.

Nobels are given out for novel results that overturn conventional wisdom, not for confirming the results of others.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerpielke/2020/02/09/a-climate-blacklist-that-works-it-should-make-her-unhirable-in-academia/#a729c0663682

2 hours ago, DJL said:

Awe....poor deniers can't get jobs.  Maybe not being able to validate their work has something to do with it.

Geez.  Next thing you know, doctor's offices will be firing anti-vaxxers and NASA will refuse to hire flat-earthers!  What's the world coming to?  It's the elitist ivory tower intelligentsia crushing the Joe the Flat-Earth Plumbers beneath their uncaring heels, I tell you.

48 minutes ago, billvon said:

Geez.  Next thing you know, doctor's offices will be firing anti-vaxxers and NASA will refuse to hire flat-earthers!  What's the world coming to?  It's the elitist ivory tower intelligentsia crushing the Joe the Flat-Earth Plumbers beneath their uncaring heels, I tell you.

"formerly the chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Tech, and a Fellow of both the American Geophysical Union and American Meteorological Society."

Yup, sounds like a real flat earther. 

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That is what they get for being a heretic, they get excommunicated from the church of Climatism. 

I do realize you're trying to create a defensible argument by painting it as "religious fanaticism" rather than an understanding of scientific fact.  Anyway, this isn't the GND thread so you'll have to do better than that.  Unfortunately, people who are fanatical about scientific fact are still right, they just annoy you because you're wrong and you stole their childhood, how dare you!

1 hour ago, DJL said:

I do realize you're trying to create a defensible argument by painting it as "religious fanaticism" rather than an understanding of scientific fact.  Anyway, this isn't the GND thread so you'll have to do better than that.  Unfortunately, people who are fanatical about scientific fact are still right, they just annoy you because you're wrong and you stole their childhood, how dare you!

Climate seems to be stealing a lot of childhoods.  

I think we need to have a law against that.

Childhood theft should be regulated.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:44 PM, kallend said:

If they PROVED CONCLUSIVELY that the AGW research carried out to date was so flawed as to be incorrect......

Isn't the burden of proof on the other side?  If I claim carrots are growing on the dark side of the moon, isn't it MY responsibility to prove that assertion?  Or do you have to prove me wrong? (of course if you say that no carrots have ever been detected on the dark side of the moon, I will just reply that you have not looked hard enough) (just like the warmists)

Edited by brenthutch