2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Considering we know 34 words is too much for him, I am not at all surprised he would take a meme for serious political statements.

He wouldn't be the first.  I had a constant back and forth with a friend who was an umovable Bernie supporter, she wrote him in during the election.  When she was going off on her FB page about Kavanaugh and how he may vote to restrict abortions I put that on there as a comment response.  We haven't spoken since.  Not sorry.

5 hours ago, DJL said:

He wouldn't be the first.  I had a constant back and forth with a friend who was an umovable Bernie supporter, she wrote him in during the election.  When she was going off on her FB page about Kavanaugh and how he may vote to restrict abortions I put that on there as a comment response.  We haven't spoken since.  Not sorry.

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2016/12/20/democrats-liberals-most-likely-to-unfriend-on-facebook-over-politics/

That is the "tolerant" left for you.  

Edited by brenthutch

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I for one do not suffer fools gladly.

It's been both revealing and disturbing how many people were/are 'closeted' racists, bigots, misogynists and otherwise closed minded idiots. 
Also rather amusing how many people will post shit on their FB page that they would never say 'in public.'

55 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

It's been both revealing and disturbing how many people were/are 'closeted' racists, bigots, misogynists and otherwise closed minded idiots. 
Also rather amusing how many people will post shit on their FB page that they would never say 'in public.'

You forgot: homophobes, xenophobes, transphobes, pronoun purists, rednecks, gun nuts, climate deniers, 1%ers, greedy people who don't want to share their money with the government, anyone with a confederate flag and everyone who says Washington Redskins.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, brenthutch said:

You forgot: homophobes, xenophobes, transphobes, pronoun purists, rednecks, gun nuts, climate deniers, 1%ers, greedy people who don't want to share their money with the government, anyone with a confederate flag and everyone who says Washington Redskins.

Which type of 1%ers, bikers or rich folk (or both).

30 minutes ago, kallend said:

Tied with 1992.  Anyway, despite all of these simultaneous records happening this year, it's happened before within 500 million years so therefore it's not an issue.  Yes, the logic being that you need to track through 500 million years in order to find examples of things that are all happening within a year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kallend said:

<Yawn>

So you don't think tying a climate record signifies anything at all?

Well, to be fair Professor, it should be qualified with something like:

"A record since we have had complete observational data of the entire planet."

Prior to the placement of weather satellites in the sixties, we couldn't see all of the oceans to observe the storms.

Prior to the 1900s (I had to look it up), we couldn't even get timely warnings from ships at sea. They didn't have radios.

So it's entirely possible there have been six storms at once in the past. We just have no record of it.
I'd love to see accurate records from the Medieval Warming Period. Lots of weather patterns changed significantly. I wonder what happened with major oceanic storms. 

On 9/20/2019 at 6:35 PM, airdvr said:

Funny how you don't hear the MSM bleeting that.  Even the esteemed John fell for it.

Kallend's source was WCPO Cincinatti which I wouldn't exactly call MSM.  Mine was USA Today via the Weather Channel which stated that there were also 6 in 1992 and 5 in 1971 and 1974.  The single article Kallend referenced is posted in a few other minor news sources but otherwise is not a national headline, not getting any attention - no bleeting.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:33 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

Prior to the placement of weather satellites in the sixties, we couldn't see all of the oceans to observe the storms.

Prior to the 1900s (I had to look it up), we couldn't even get timely warnings from ships at sea. They didn't have radios.

Sources are describing it as a "modern record", which fulfills your parameters.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:42 PM, kallend said:

<Yawn>

So you don't think tying a climate record signifies anything at all?

It means that it is the same as it was forty years ago when we were in the clutches of an impending ice age.  Giant nothing burger, try again.

49 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It means that it is the same as it was forty years ago when we were in the clutches of an impending ice age.  Giant nothing burger, try again.

You've been spending a lot of time looking up the last time these events happened that are all now happening simultaneously.  What do you think of that?

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the Ice Age thing, btw, some 1970's conspiracy that's supposed to debunk our conclusions on global warming?

11 hours ago, kallend said:

September 2019 tied the record for the hottest September ever globally, and broke the record for the hottest in a non El Niño year.

That is the fourth consecutive such month.

71F1A4D5-483A-4D08-A3DB-765E4749EBDE.jpeg

What does "relative to 1981-2010" mean?

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

What does "relative to 1981-2010" mean?

Relative means that data is considered in relation or in proportion to something else. In this case it means you compare the new data to a second set of data (say, from 1981-2010.)