warpedskydiver

Should Illegal Immigrants receive safe harbor in US cities?

100,000 March in Favor of Immigrant Rights
By KAREN HAWKINS, Associated Press Writer
2 hours ago

CHICAGO - Hoisting American flags into the air, tens of thousands of immigrants from the Chicago area marched downtown in a display of support for immigrant rights as a bill to stiffen border enforcement awaits action in the U.S. Senate.

Many took up enthusiastic chants like "Si, se puede (Yes, it can be done)" and "La raza unida nunca sera vencida (A people united will never be defeated)."

The mostly Latino marchers Friday descended upon the plaza across from the federal courthouse, where they listened to speeches backing pro-immigrant legislation.

"Raise those American flags!" shouted U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, a Democrat. "This is our country, and this is where we will stay."

Police estimated that more than 100,000 marchers came from all over the Chicago area, many carrying _ or wearing _ Mexican and American flags. The protest was spirited, but peaceful, and there were no reported arrests or incidents.

The legislation, already passed by the U.S. House, is billed as a border protection, anti-terrorism and illegal immigration control act. It includes such measures as enlisting military and local law enforcement help in stopping illegal entrants and authorizes the building of a fence along parts of the U.S.-Mexico border.

Gov. Rod Blagojevich addressed the crowd in Spanish, telling them he is the son of immigrant parents and understands their issues.

The Democrat's proclamation that "ustedes no son criminales. Ustedes son trabajadores" ("You are not criminals. You are workers") brought loud cheers.

Abigail Marquez, 35, said she came to the rally with her husband and teenage son to express her support for Latino issues. The native of Guadalajara, Mexico said she did not expect so many people to participate in the march, organized by dozens of activist groups.

"I had no idea. There are just so many people here," she said in Spanish. "I feel very happy because it shows that we are all united."

The march began at noon at a park several miles west of the downtown Loop business district. Hours later, marchers still thronged the Loop, clogging streets and tying up traffic. By early evening, traffic had returned to near-normal levels, police said.

Abel Nunez, associate director of a social service agency that was one of many organizations spearheading the event, said the goal was "to demonstrate to people that immigrants are here and we contribute to this country."

The Illinois Minuteman Project, affiliated with a national volunteer civilian border patrol group, held a news conference before the march began.

State director Rosanna Pulido said she does not want to see Chicago become a "sanctuary city" for illegal immigrants. Nationally, the illegal immigrant population has grown from about 8.4 million in 2000 to nearly 12 million, according to a new report.

"There are 14 million underemployed Americans," she said. "Don't they have the right to have a better life and support their families? Let's give them an opportunity because this is their country."

___

Associated Press Writer Nathaniel Hernandez contributed to this report.

Well what do you think should be done?....let's hear it

There is a double standard in the US when it comes to the INS and immigrants. People coming to the US legally are scrutinized (as they likely should be) by the INS with many qualified people being turned away while a blind eye is turned to the Latinos who are in the US illegally only because they are a cheap source of labor. Until the US gets tough on businesses employing the illegals, this trend won't change. But the longer you guys wait, the more illegals there are and the more polical power they gain. In otherwords they are here to stay and you'll never get rid of them. Hope you're brushing up on your spanish.

Well what do you think should be done?....let's hear it

Turn these safe santucary cities into glass parking lots!!! ... Just kidding ... ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Isn't "come here legally or not at all" and "NO" kind of the same sentiment? Either way, illegal imigrants deserve absolutely no help, in fact, they deserve absolutely nothing while illegally in our country. They get WAY too much now...it's sickening.

If they all went home tomorrow the US economy would collapse. Do you like cheap produce?

If you want to find fault, fault the businessmen that hire them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If they all went home tomorrow the US economy would collapse. Do you like cheap produce?

Yeah I know, I do fault the business, not necessarily the person. Plus, this could all be solved by having a better work visa system so that all the people who do pick grapes, janitors at Walmart, etc. can come here and do the jobs that they do so our economy doesn't collapse.

Yeah I know, I do fault the business, not necessarily the person. Plus, this could all be solved by having a better work visa system so that all the people who do pick grapes, janitors at Walmart, etc. can come here and do the jobs that they do so our economy doesn't collapse.

First, let me say that I do -not- support illegal immigration and blanch at those who leave the word 'illegal' off their support just to confuse the issue (ACLU).

We have to be prepared, however, if the illegals are allowed to stay, legally...through amnesty or work visa means, that they will be demanding (and eligible) for higher wages. Just like American citizens, they will be protected by the Fair Labor Act and will be afforded a more equitable income.

Cheap labor? Perhaps not so cheap anymore. Businesses will need to raise their prices to make up for it. We pay either way.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

You hit the mark on that one! One thing about it, it'll keep the unions busy fighting for higher wages for illegals. The Border Patrol has had their hands tied with what is more commonly called 'Catch & Release'. When an illegal is aprehended, they are given a ticket that basically says the illegal, will appear in court! Yeah, right! If, Mexico, would 'fix' their country, our problem with their 'poor and dis-regarded' people wouldn't be as big as it is. With the influx of illegals, we, are running out of room. We are losing thousands of acres of farm and ranchlands on a daily basis to build housing. Our once, vast open spaces are diminishing. Illegals, because they do not have access to medical help in Mexico, bring diseases that we thought were gone in this country. If, we are going to have a Border Patrol, we need to allow them to do their job. Like you said, that source of 'cheap labor' is going to want more and more. I just don't like the idea of someone sneaking into this country and not just wanting but demanding what we as citizens of this country are getting and MORE! It's not fair and it needs to be stopped. If, a person wants to immigrate to this country and go through the process of becoming a citizen... great. Fines need to be assessed to those who hire illegals and do it. Mexico is obviously not caring about those in the poorer parts of their country. We can't afford to do it. Also, I don't like the idea of those of us who speak American, having to learn Spanish so the illegals can feel 'comfortable' and so they can get along in their lives better. End of rant.

Chuck

If, a person wants to immigrate to this country and go through the process of becoming a citizen... great

Would I be ranting if I pointed out that the INS holds double standards as to how they treat people coming from different countries? If you're from a certain part of the world and you have the right skills, the INS has an open door policy towards allowing people in and becoming permanent residents and citizens if they want. If you're from another country that has so called free-trade agreements, they'll let you in as a temporary resident (assuming you meet the oppropriate skill set), but bring up the idea of trying to obtain permanent status and the INS does everything in their power to show you the door and even threatens you with permanent bans. And if you're an illegal from Mexico, well they just turn a blind eye.

Okay yes I was ranting. :|

If, a person wants to immigrate to this country and go through the process of becoming a citizen... great

Would I be ranting if I pointed out that the INS holds double standards as to how they treat people coming from different countries? If you're from a certain part of the world and you have the right skills, the INS has an open door policy towards allowing people in and becoming permanent residents and citizens if they want. If you're from another country that has so called free-trade agreements, they'll let you in as a temporary resident (assuming you meet the oppropriate skill set), but bring up the idea of trying to obtain permanent status and the INS does everything in their power to show you the door and even threatens you with permanent bans. And if you're an illegal from Mexico, well they just turn a blind eye.

Okay yes I was ranting. :|

You might be ranting but... you are absolutely correct!

Chuck

Isn't "come here legally or not at all" and "NO" kind of the same sentiment? Either way, illegal imigrants deserve absolutely no help, in fact, they deserve absolutely nothing while illegally in our country. They get WAY too much now...it's sickening.

Have you ever seen the irrigation water they use in Mexico for fruits and vegatables? Most of it is raw sewage. I got that from a 60-Minutes report. I don't believe that our U.S. economy will collapse without illegals... far from it. That cheap labor ain't so cheap any more. Yes, those who hire them should be fined for each one on their payroll.
Down here, we've got a real problem with illegals breaking into homes and out buildings and stealing anything that isn't chained or welded down. Besides, at tens of thousands of them crossing into this country, how long do you give us till this country looks like Mexico City?

Chuck

You can't walk into a fastfood restaurant in Denver CO without seeing virtually the entire staff made up of people of Mexican heritage. MacDonalds, Wendys, Burger King, etc, etc, etc. Virtually the entire workforce is Mexican. Of course I don't know the legal status of these people but usually the only ones who could speak English are the ones manning the cash registers and even their English is less than desirable at times and it's not uncommon to get the wrong food order.

Now before some people get their panties in a bind (not in reference to you masterrig), I work in a very multi-cultural environment where myself as the white caucasin Canadian is in the minority. The company I work at has many orientals from Hong Kong, some East Indians, Pakistanis, Chileans, Iranians, Russians, Poles and Serbians. Oh and yes there are a couple of us white guys (but we're in the minority). I only say this so that you know I'm not a racist who's complaining about the Mexican work force in Colorado restaurants.

Oh and MacDonalds is a DOW Jones stock component right? :S

I see, just what you are saying. I see what you are talking about, in the town I live in. Not just the fast food joints, either. We are rapidly, becoming the minority. By the way, I can see, you are by no means, a racist. Facts are facts and that's what you are presenting.

Chuck

We could raise the minimum wage and create a bigger demand for them.......
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Sure! Don't give our folks a chance to make a little more... let the illegals!

Chuck

Chuck

I think you mis understood me. I believe raising the minumum wage would put US people out of work (as study after study has shown) and create a larger demand for illegalls. My comment was meant tounge in cheek.....
Abraham Lincoln

Chuck

I think you mis understood me. I believe raising the minumum wage would put US people out of work (as study after study has shown) and create a larger demand for illegalls. My comment was meant tounge in cheek.....

I re-read what you wrote and I see your point. It's all kind of a 'touchy subject' in these parts. Nothing wrong with a little sarcasm, now and then. You can sometimes make a good point, that way.

Chuck

AWESOME! It's amazing how many people think that raising the minimum wage actually does anything but get votes for whatever jackass politician suggests it.

Nice post!
Oh, hello again!

AWESOME! It's amazing how many people think that raising the minimum wage actually does anything but get votes for whatever jackass politician suggests it.

Nice post!

:)
Abraham Lincoln

One thing about illegal workers. THEY WORK. I have a landscaping business. I don't have any illegal workers but if they wanted a job i would give it them.
Do you know how many Americans i have asked to work. Who are unemployed. It's either too hot, Too hard, don't want to get up too early etc etc etc.
I am not saying all americans are like that. Sometimes it's the last resort to hire them. As for taking away american jobs, come on. I don't see too many americans at the job center looking to work in the fruit and vegetable industry.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

No Green Card No Visa GET THE HELL OUT!

I am sick and tierd of people coming here, Not paying taxes and making us pay for the roads they drive on and the Military protecting them.

They do pay taxes. Just not income taxes. Make them pay income tax, the huge majority of them would rather pay taxes and be allowed to work than not.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

As for taking away american jobs, come on. I don't see too many americans at the job center looking to work in the fruit and vegetable industry.

True enough. As long as they're working, then that's one thing, I just think it's bs that they can run across the border and pop a kid out in San Diego...presto, US citizen! Not to mention all the ones who are there and don't really do shit.