j0nes

"French riots" could happen here

No...they just killed a lot more people.

Exactly.

France: 1
LA: 50-60

Americans are just so efficient ;) (<-- Note smiley)
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

1) Anyone runs from police they deserve whatever happens to them.

2) Rioting is a crime too, in circumstances like this it should be a joint police/military effort to regain order using whatever force is neccesary.

3) If loads of immigrants dont like the conditions they are living in.... they could always go back home! *shock* *horror* Its either better than what you ran away from, or its worse. If its better, stay and shut your mouth. If its worse, realise you done the wrong thing and go back home.

4) Theres no such thing as poverty breeds crime. Shit breeds crime. In this day and age, it isnt neccesary to commit crime to survive. Its just because they are theiving bastards. Im sick of hearing people giving excuses for criminals. >:(

Oh I agree - personally I tend to believe the police version that it was just two numnutz trying to run off from the police.

But that doesn't mean that the popular image in Paris on which the riots are based is that of the burning teens being chased by 'brutal' cops. Call it 'faulty intelligence' if you will.

And much better armed?
Flame away :P

Actually I think that even among the most hard-core gun ethusiasts flame throwers a seen as a rarity, but I might be wrong here... :D
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Actually I think that even among the most hard-core gun ethusiasts flame throwers a seen as a rarity, but I might be wrong here...

Actually there is precident for the legality in the UK of the defence of a shop during a riot with the use of petrol bombs!

Take note Frechies - here in England it is perfectly legal set fire to rioters to defend your shit.

...Actually there is precident for the legality in the UK of the defence of a shop during a riot with the use of petrol bombs!

Take note Frechies - here in England it is perfectly legal set fire to rioters to defend your shit.

Now this is an idea whose time has come!
I like it!:)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hmm, i dont know what piece of law you know that says you are allowed to attempt murder in order to defend your property. I believe its 'use any force that is reasonable and neccesary' - I dont think preparing petrol bombs and throwing them at people would quite fall into that category! But hey, your profile says your a lawyer. If you wanna argue that in court. Be my guest ;)

In this day and age, it isnt neccesary to commit crime to survive.

I suspect that you have had a reasonably privileged upbringing and that you have not travelled much.

Well, in the UK theres no need. We will give you a house, pay for you to sit on your ass all day, and if you got children. Your really laughing because of all the benefits you get paid. Ive picked up my fair share of illegal immigrants who know the system and abuse it to the max!

I don't understand the demonization of the US:S

The US does not treat any group as bad as the French treat all outsiders.

Ssshhheeesshhhh:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Have you ever been to France?

I have. I spent several weeks there, and had a great time. So I'd have to say that based on my experience they treat Americans just fine.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>The US does not treat any group as bad as the French treat all outsiders.

I spent a month or so biking through Belgium, France, Germany and the Netherlands. With the exception of Heidelburg everyone was really nice, despite my poor french (and Heidi's poor spanish.)

>what happened in Heidelburg?

Rude people. At one point our bikes got lost in shipment. We tried to communicate with the freight guy, but he wouldn't talk to us. We tried english, french, spanish. No luck. Finally at the end of the day, as he was slamming the door, he told us (in english) "when you are in germany you speak german!"

Had a few more instances like that there. Outside Heidelburg, the other germans we ran into were great.

I found Parisiens to be quite rude, but elsewhere in France people were very nice.

I found New Yorkers to be very rude too, but most everywhere else in the US, even in Texas, people are very nice.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I found Parisiens to be quite rude, but elsewhere in France people were very nice.

I found New Yorkers to be very rude too, but most everywhere else in the US, even in Texas, people are very nice.

New Yorkers aren't rude just fast paced.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Hi there,

<>

In general, (and in my experience) people are the same where ever you go... There's good and bad in everyone...We learn to live, we learn to give each other what we need to survive....... (McCartney .... get out of my head:P.

I love to travel and meet people. There are as many great people abroad as there are at home. You meet the occasional plonker, but you cannt/shouldn't judge a whole country by those insignificant few.

All in all, people in cities tend to have less time for visitors, than rural folk but that's probably cus they see more of them.

So, generalisations may make for good posts but dont reflect the reality that I experience. (hey, I'm even working with some nice 'mericans on a project at the moment:P)

Have a great weekend..

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

i dont know what piece of law you know that says you are allowed to attempt murder in order to defend your property

In England you can do everything but kill in defence of property alone – as such there is no law which in itself permits the use of lethal force in defence of mere property.

You are fully entitled to kill in defence of yourself however and it is often the case that someone who is presented with a threat to their property also considers them self to be in immediate danger. Imagine a burglar in the middle of the night or perhaps a pack of rioters outside your home – both may only wish to take your property but both would probably cause the home owner to fear for their personal safety.

As the reasonability test is subjective it is eminently possible for scenarios to arise where it is legal to use lethal force in defence of what is objectively only an attempted theft.

I believe its 'use any force that is reasonable and neccesary'

The applicable phrase (from s.3 of the Criminal Law Act 1967) is: "A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large.".

Although the law in its present form goes back many centuries and much of the more precise definition is found in case law dating back to at least the 1700's. For the sake of brevity however I'm sure the above is sufficient.

I dont think preparing petrol bombs and throwing them at people would quite fall into that category!

The case is called Attorney-General's Reference (No. 2 of 1983). It was found that a shop owner created petrol bombs for the lawful purpose of self defence. This could only be possible if the use of petrol bombs in self defence can be lawful under certain circumstances.

There would be little difficulty relying on this case in court if necessary.

3) If loads of immigrants dont like the conditions they are living in.... they could always go back home! *shock* *horror* Its either better than what you ran away from, or its worse. If its better, stay and shut your mouth. If its worse, realise you done the wrong thing and go back home.

what if it was your grandparents who did the immigration and you are the one that doesn't like the conditions. You wouldn't know what the conditions 'back home' are like as you have never been there, it's too expensive to go there from your housing project appartment with 2 rooms and 8 people living in it on the outskirts of a French city.

Think about where 'home' would be when you suggest immigrants go back home. I was 2 when my parents left the country of my birth. I had no choice but to grow up in a foreign country and couldn't have 'gone back home' if I wanted to until I was at least 18 and then needed to get the money together to travel across a continent to 'get back home'. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the rioters feel as displaced as I have for a lot of my life because they don't know where 'home' is.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe