j0nes

DZ safety warning

...They could all be bad shots.

In 1812 at Polotzk 3 French guns fired upon a Russian battalion for several hours. The Russians suffered only 3 casualties.

http://web2.airmail.net/napoleon/artillery_tactics_3.htm
:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

This is regarding guns. Don't show them off at the DZ when you're drunk/stoned.

This has been a public safety reminder.

(i know two people that were shot doing this. not at the same time though)

Were they both shot at a DZ? The same DZ? Same stoned/drunk person? Is getting shot at DZ's a common problem? Do they make multilayer Kevlar wingsuits just in case?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

A DZ is NOT a shooting range.

Actaully..........there IS a range across the runway from Manifest at Raeford. ;)

Yeah....we have a little shooting range on the other end of the airport at our dz too...lol. We haven't been mistaken for skeet yet...
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

ok.....

what about if we know each other... we have an argument (you catch me shagging your wife)... you hatch a plan... you invite me over, and then shoot me dead... you then make it look like a break in and say it was dark and i came for you, you shot me because you were in fear of your life, you didn't realise i was a friend of yours.... you state we had been arguing earlier, and hey presto.... you get away with murder

thats just one of he reasons why guns are banned in this country

I have a gun and I would not hesitate to use it if I felt my life was in danger. If someone is in my apartment without my permission, it is reasonable for me to believe that they are there to harm me. I've also had about 17 years of martial arts training. I wouldn't hesitate to use that either. A weapon is a weapon.

And as for getting away wtih murder... The lawyers, police, and forensic scientists would have to really suck in your country to be unable to uncover the motive that you killed your wife's lover. It's a classic homicide scenario and one people don't often get away with. Several things wrong with your scenario:
For example, there wouldn't be any sign of a break-in. You'd have let the guy in the door. Even if you tried to fake the break-in, unless you are very good with forensics, chances are you'll mess up somewhere. (kick in the door with your own shoe or something). People tend to meticulously plan their crimes, but don't plan the aftermath. They know how they're going to murder someone, but afterwards think up the coverup on the spur of the moment, and make mistakes.

I'm glad I don't live in your country, because, to turn that scenario around, if someone came to my door pretending to be a friend and tried to hurt or kill me, I want the ability to defend myself with any means necessary.

If someone knows you carry, that's one less advantage you have over a potential threat.

do you put your combat trousers on and rumage around in the dirt, trying to kill rabits?

we got ourselves a real live militiaman here folks... yee haaaa

as usual, you unbutton your knickers, pull them down, and show us all who you REALLY are...:P

-the artist formerly known as sinker

To the people who own guns, I am curious.

Are you really that concerned with your safety?

I mean... c'mon.. really.. how many people do you know who have actually HAD to use a gun in self-defense?

I think a better protection of personal safety would be to invest in a home security system, live in an area with lower crime rates, carry pepper spray, use common sense, don't do hard-core drugs like meth, don't sleep around with married people.. and exercise common sense.

If you have a gun to use for hunting, or recreation (at gun clubs and on private property and such) then go for it! Hooray! Go out and shoot things.

But if you actually own a gun because you're so worried about your safety, there are probably other more effective steps you could take to make yourself more safe.

Just my caffeine and wine-riddled thoughts on things. :P

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

People need to be more tolerant of others. Just because they don't like something, that doesn't obligate others to accomodate their quirks. They need to get over it.

a bad manipulation while praying or kissing do usually less harm than a bad manipulation with a gun :|

not trying to show my point is better than yours.. Just trying to understand WHY someone would bring a gun at the DZ... Unless I had a safe to lock my guns in at the DZ, I wouldn't take the chance of getting my weapons stolen...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

That's the point. If they all had guns there would be hundreds dead, and it would be much more fun to argue about.

I have a feeling if 100's were dead it would stop this shit going on over there. They have no fear of breaking the law because the gangs made the area a "nogo" area for the police

I would rather shoot a rioter breaking the law trying to burn my house and car than let it happen. Are you saying what they are doing is justified? If the gov't is unwilling and /or unable to provide control then I will.

To the people who own guns, I am curious.

Are you really that concerned with your safety?

Concerned enough to get one in advance of being concerned enough about a real threat to want to have one. By the time you realize you want one, it's a bit late.

IMO, if you feel the need to carry pepper spray, I'd rather have a gun. Laws in many states don't allow the choice, but it's far more useful and effective. Pepper spray seems more like a security blanket, just as you believe guns to be for others.

it would be interesting to see the statistics for gun related injuries, say comparing accidental discharge against when used in protection of ones life:|.

There would be many fewer accidental injuries if parents who own guns would teach their children proper respect for firearms.

I grew up in a house where the guns hung on the wall. Ammunition was in the closet and down in the basement where my father did his reloads. It never occurred to my sister or me to touch any of these things without permission. Never. And I was not a particularly obedient child. I was, however, very aware from an early age exactly what a firearm can do.

I've talked to other people who grew up as I did. Same thing all around. We were taught proper respect for firearms from the very beginning, and because nothing was locked up, hidden away or otherwise made forbidden in a way that is tempting to a child, it was never an issue.

As for other accidents with guns, maybe better hunter education is the key there. I taught a hunter safety course one year (bow, not firearms), and my feeling was that although the course was adequate, it wasn't extensive enough.

I don't think the answer is taking away firearms, but I do think that better education for those who are newcomers to them is a good idea.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I prefer this one:

Weird Al Yankovic, Trigger Happy

Got an AK-47, well you know it makes me feel alright
Got an Uzi by my pillow, helps me sleep a little better at night
There's no feeling any greter
Than to shoot first and ask questions later
Now I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Well, you can't take my guns away, I got a constitutional right
Yeah, I gotta be ready if the Commies attack us tonight
I'll blow their brains out with my Smith and Wesson
That ought to teach them all a darn good lesson
Now I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

(Oh yeah, I'm)trigger, trigger happy
Yes I'm trigger, trigger happy
(Oh baby, I'm)trigger, trigger happy
(Oh I'm so)trigger, trigger happy
Better watch out, punk, or I'm gonna have to blow you away

Oh, I accidently shot daddy last night in the den
I mistook him in the dark for a drug-crazed Nazi again
Now why'd you have to get so mad?
It was just a lousy flesh wound, Dad
You know, I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Oh, I still haven't figured out the safety on my rifle yet
Little Fluffy took a round, better take him to the vet
I filled that kitty cat so full of lead
We'll have to use him for a pencil instead
Well, I'm so trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Come on and grab your ammo
What have you got to lose?
We'll all get liquored up
And shoot at anything that moves

Got a brand new semi-automatic weapon with a laser sight
Oh, I'm prayin' somebody tries to break in here tonight
I always keep a Magnum in my trunk
You better ask yourself, do you feel lucky, punk?
Because I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

You are correct. Mines don't kill people on their own. The people who planted the mines are the ones doing the killing.

I think my point got lost somewhere in there...

I want the ability to defend myself with any means necessary.

Claymore mines don't kill people. People kill people.

Following the logic of "any means necessary," is there anything wrong with my desire to defend myself with (manually activated) Claymore mines? After all, I'd hate to be the guy holding a six shooter when my house gets bumrushed by a group of thugs.

Do you have a permit to carry that thing in your truck?

I never knew you needed a permit to carry a gun in your truck. Guess I'll have to take my skateboard to my hunting spot.

Would you do this in the parking lot at Wal-Mart? If not, then why at the parking lot of the dropzone?

Ummm, at least around here, Wal-Mart sells guns, I don't think they'd have a problem with you showing one in the parking lot especially if they have them in the store.

Serves you right if someone breaks into your truck and takes your firearm after your narcissistic little show and tell session.

Wow, we're blowing this one out of proportion. No one said he was waving these things around for everyone to see, or that his motives were even self-centered. If someone wants to see a gun, what is the big freakin deal if he shows it to a guy in the dz parking lot. Everyone seems to assume this gun is gonna be loaded and that he's gonna start firing it randomly.

not trying to show my point is better than yours.. Just trying to understand WHY someone would bring a gun at the DZ... Unless I had a safe to lock my guns in at the DZ, I wouldn't take the chance of getting my weapons stolen...

This is the the third time I've seen someone talk about not showing/taking your gun to the dz because it has the chance of getting stolen.
What kinda dz's are you guys jumping at? Is that a legitimate concern, or just a weak attempt for an argument. Seems to me that the gun would be much more likely stolen anywhere else one would normally bring it than the friggin dz. I'm curious to find out how many people out there have had a locked vehicle actually broken into at a normal dz, (not a boogie). Do you have a safe to lock your rig in? Why would you ever show your rig to anyone for chance of it getting stolen? My rig is worth a lot more than any gun I own.

your rig will be less likely used to kill/injure people...

I know quite a few skydivers that are more dangerous to others on a skydive or as they land, that couldn't hit a thing with a gun. These breathing projectiles are a danger to others either way.

(Your answer assumes the worst in gun owners, do you treat everybody that way?)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants