Treejumps

10 million Mexicans

don't kid yourself. the vast majority of illegal immigrants DO NOT contribute to the society in which they live. that's the problem

I don't think that's totally true. They do pump quite a bit of money into local economies. The vast majority of them cost a lot less to the States and Federal governments than they financially contribute to local economies, I believe. Which is not to say that illegal immigration is a good thing, of course.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I agree on this wholeheartedly. But, how are people meant to legally settle somewhere that won't legally accept them as citizens in the first place? Am i missing something in US immigration law which says any Mexican citizen can legally come and settle in the US, they just have to mail in a form etc? (i'm asking seriously, because i do know a bit about US immigration law, but i can't believe it would allow for this, but then i could be completely wrong)

Many of them cannot pass the 'health' portion of the requirements as well as the 'knowledge' portion. Concerning our Constitution and etc. Besides, why do that when they can just cut a hole in the fence or wade the Rio Grande? This country has been a big 'Welcome' mat for so long.

Chuck

I agree with you - legal way is the best way. But, you have to understand and appreciate (as i'm sure you do) the legal means to now enter your country for a low skilled migrant worker is next to impossible. There is no way (from my understanding of the immigration laws there) they will be eligible to enter the country legally.

but that is not the USA's problem.... That is Mexico's problem. Why should we fix it?

If it is really that bad in Mexico, maybe the people there should rise up against the government and have them fix it. Happens all over the world all the time.

It is not up to the US to fix all of the worlds problems...Just some of them :-)

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Which looks better on a resume: mowed lawns for the summer or interned at Boeing.

With a similar GPA and like coursework, I'd hire the person that mowed lawns. Shows more drive. The guy that worked at Boeing probably just had connections.
illegible usually

don't kid yourself. the vast majority of illegal immigrants DO NOT contribute to the society in which they live. that's the problem.

So you dont want cheap service staff, crops, inexpensive restaurant meals, cheap hotels? I wonder, if companies started to bring out "Illegal Immigration Free" products and services, and started charging more than double what you now pay for them, just how many of your would put your money where your mouths are. Would you?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

yeah, they buy from the local grocery store etc. but, the cost of supporting illegals far outweighs the "local contribution" they make. furthermore, much of the money that illegals make in america goes back to their families in the foreign nation that they came from. that's why mexico is supporting illegal emmigration into the US. you live in cali; you should know better than all of us. the numbers speak for themselves.

the money that illegals earn is not taxed at all (except for state sales tax when they buy stuff). i'm not sure about you, but my income is taxed pretty heavily as i'm sure yours is.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

So you dont want cheap service staff, crops, inexpensive restaurant meals, cheap hotels?

no, i want to pay a fair price from the most competitive seller who produces a good product. i love capitalism.

started charging more than double what you now pay for them

speculation

Would you?

absolutely because i understand the big picture.

I agree with you - legal way is the best way. But, you have to understand and appreciate (as i'm sure you do) the legal means to now enter your country for a low skilled migrant worker is next to impossible. There is no way (from my understanding of the immigration laws there) they will be eligible to enter the country legally.

but that is not the USA's problem.... That is Mexico's problem. Why should we fix it?

If it is really that bad in Mexico, maybe the people there should rise up against the government and have them fix it. Happens all over the world all the time.

But why doesn't that apply to Iraq? You have been a strong supporter of US intervention there, even after the rationalization changed to freeing the poor Iraqis from an evil dictator. Why help a people half way around the world and ignore your neighbor?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

yeah, they buy from the local grocery store etc. but, the cost of supporting illegals far outweighs the "local contribution" they make. furthermore, much of the money that illegals make in america goes back to their families in the foreign nation that they came from. that's why mexico is supporting illegal emmigration into the US. you live in cali; you should know better than all of us. the numbers speak for themselves.

the money that illegals earn is not taxed at all (except for state sales tax when they buy stuff). i'm not sure about you, but my income is taxed pretty heavily as i'm sure yours is.

Maybe it's just my perception here, but the vast majority of illegals I know do spend most of their income into the local economy. Do they send money back home? Yes, lots of them do. Do they pay taxes? No, they can't. But the huge majority of them do not get (or get very little) help from local governments. They are, for the most part, hard working people (most of them making below minimum wage). Of course, there are exceptions. And once again, I do not encourage illegal immigration in any way.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I think the misconception is poeple are doing this illegally because they have the option to do it legally, but for whatever reason are not taking that option. Given the immigration laws there, i would assume that you see so many illegals enter because frankly, they don't have the option to work there legally, unlike those who arrived even 50 years ago, who were able to enter the US far more easily and remain there.

It's so easy for them to blend-in. They get to areas of this country where they have friends or relatives and become acclimated and with help, find a job and that's about it. Seems to me if, Mexico would help do something but, they won't! They want us to take care of their problems of making jobs available as well as education for their people who live in the poor areas of their country. They don't want to be bothered. They want to un-load their problems on us. Check-out some of the statements made by Mexico's president Fox!

Chuck

We have helped Mexico financially in many ways....
At some point (in Iraq too) you need to wean them off of it.

But I agree with you to ssome degree.
Bush has failed this country when it comes to border control.

He said Iraq posed a threat to national secureity (Which I believe it did), however, the border situation also poses a threat to national security, and need to be fixed.

But, there is a large difference between FOX and SH

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Maybe it's just my perception here, but the vast majority of illegals I know do spend most of their income into the local economy. Do they send money back home? Yes, lots of them do. Do they pay taxes? No, they can't. But the huge majority of them do not get (or get very little) help from local governments. They are, for the most part, hard working people (most of them making below minimum wage). Of course, there are exceptions. And once again, I do not encourage illegal immigration in any way.

A lot of the money made in this country by illegals is sent back to their families in Mexico. That, is a multi billion dollar a year operation. U.S. Banks, advertise 'low fees' to send money to Mexico.

Chuck

A lot of the money made in this country by illegals is sent back to their families in Mexico. That, is a multi billion dollar a year operation. U.S. Banks, advertise 'low fees' to send money to Mexico.

I do not deny that. But I gather that about 80% of the money they make remains in the US. 20% is huge, but still a minor amount compared to the total spent locally.

We have helped Mexico financially in many ways....
At some point (in Iraq too) you need to wean them off of it.

But I agree with you to ssome degree.
Bush has failed this country when it comes to border control.

He said Iraq posed a threat to national secureity (Which I believe it did), however, the border situation also poses a threat to national security, and need to be fixed.

But, there is a large difference between FOX and SH

Fox is helping them to a better life... by telling his people the ins and outs of getting into this country. The Mexican Govt. publishes pamphlets with 'advice' in such matters.

Chuck

Very true, not only in Mexico all throughout central america. It's bad on the local economy too (whole other subject). Guess what they are spending that money on though: American made appliances, clothes, music, movies etc.

Bottom line is illegal immigration=mega bucks for some industries.

I do not deny that. But I gather that about 80% of the money they make remains in the US. 20% is huge, but still a minor amount compared to the total spent locally.

You're correct. They spend money locally which in turn benefits the community. I have been told by Mexican-Americans that 'they' get up-set when they see 'il-legals' living 2 or 3 families in a small house and brand new SUV's and pick-ups parked out front. These things bother those folks too. Those are folks complaining about their own. So, We aren't the only one's it bothers.

Chuck

Very true, not only in Mexico all throughout central america. It's bad on the local economy too (whole other subject). Guess what they are spending that money on though: American made appliances, clothes, music, movies etc.

Bottom line is illegal immigration=mega bucks for some industries.

Not to mention in many cases, the drug-lords, also. As I said before... it's all about the money. Somebody somewhere is gettin' rich off the whole mess.

Chuck

In my experience (living in South Texas), you could reverse your numbers and be a LOT closer...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ahem, yes They can!!!.

See, the IRS does not care about what is your current condition in the US, but if you made US income (Within the borders and without any of the exceptions of the law), you are basically asked to file for a TIN (Tax identification number), so you can file taxes. Many people, including illegal alliens, do know this, and still choose not to pay any taxes and reap the benefits of this society, at any chance they get.

I can tell you this from personal experience, having a tax preparing business when I lived in Florida. The major reason for most of these immigrants want to file taxes is to get back what they paid into it, and just let things go as soon as they know they actually did not pay sufficient taxes (They claim 4 or 5 as exemption although they are single and should be filing 0, which is a higher tax deduction)......
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

all these illegals moved in seasonal construction work, landscaping, and hospitality work was done by college kids out of school for the summer.

Do you actually think a college student is going to clean rooms or mow a lawn during the summer. Hell no. Most are looking for internships in their fields. Which looks better on a resume: mowed lawns for the summer or interned at Boeing.

First, there are MANY MANY more college students than there are available internships, and second, internships are generally only available to rising seniors and occasionally juniors. Students who just finished their first year have litle or no useful coursework/experience to get an internship.
I don't know about cleaning rooms, but I do know college students who have gotten summer jobs in landscaping and construction.

There are laws and they must be enforced.

This coming from BASE jumper. Pretty good.

Ultimately the US will start to look more like Mexico, a third world shit hole. Want proof, just look at communities that have high concentrations of Mexicans. They are always the worst looking areas of a city or town.

That's a pretty bigotted statement. Poor sections of town are the result of poverty not national origin or ethnicity.

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultimately the US will start to look more like Mexico, a third world shit hole. Want proof, just look at communities that have high concentrations of Mexicans. They are always the worst looking areas of a city or town.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a pretty bigotted statement. Poor sections of town are the result of poverty not national origin or ethnicity.

what he's saying is that if illegal immigrants continue to take from the public coffer and do not return anything to it through taxes, then the communities that this happens in will suffer. i.e. when the takers outweigh the givers, soon enough there is nothing left to take and the community infrastructure will fail.