ryoder

Iraq vs. DC

From rec.humor.funny:

There have been an average of 160,000 troops in theater (IRAQ) during the last 22 months, which has a firearm death rate of *60* per *100,000*.

The rate in Washington D.C. is *80.6* per *100,000*.

That means that you are 25% more likely to be shot and killed in our Nation's Capitol, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, than you are in Iraq.

*Conclusion*: We should immediately pull out of Washington, D.C.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

*Conclusion*: We should immediately pull out of Washington, D.C.

interesting...... I would vote for nuking DC :P

Roy

No nukes; Too much fallout in the surrounding areas. Ever see "Escape From New York"? Just build a big wall around it to contain the politicians so they can't do any further damage to the country.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

So you should compare one urban area to another, not one urban area to an entire country.

But then it doesn't work out as well:P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

interesting...... I would vote for nuking DC :P

Good idea - but then what do we do about the resulting stench circling the globe

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Certainly a statistic worth pondering.

Initial problem is that the resident population of DC is much smaller than the number actually present there most of the time.

That and the fact that the dead don't care if they were killed by a firearm, a knife, or a bomb.

The D.C. number looks too high. That's 5400 people a year, a number I don't believe.

I think your math is wrong. At 80 gun deaths per 100,000, then 5,400 deaths would represent a population of 6,750,000. (5,400 / 80 X 100,000) The population of D.C. is really only about one-tenth of that. So you're off by a factor of +10.

The D.C. murder rate was up to 80 back in the 1990's, but it has since fallen to almost half of that. That's still way above the national average, even though they have a complete ban on handgun ownership.

Source: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/dccrime.htm

Still, your odds of dying as a combat soldier in Iraq aren't much greater than your odds of being murdered in D.C.

...interesting...... I would vote for nuking DC...

Interesting... I would vote for nuking Yakima.
Well, on second thought (since I'd like to limit collateral casualties) I would volunteer to lay in the weeds and laser your house so we could drop a piece of precision ordnance on it. One 500 pound bomb ought to do it. No need to resort to using nuclear weapons just yet.

Fair is fair.

I will offer this though: you are a "sit and talk" rather than a "get up and do". If you don't like the way the world is, get off your ass and do something about it. Typing on an internet forum hardly qualifies as action, at least in my book. Some of us have actually pitched in to help.

In the end, it's your face in the mirror. I hope you like what you see.

Anyone who would cause harm to the United States, and that includes you, is my enemy. I would gladly expedite your removal from this life if thought you were a threat to the country I have fought for.

So like I said, cheers. I'd drink to that.

Added: If this post gets me banned, so be it. I will say my piece before I'm shown the door.

I will offer this though: you are a "sit and talk" rather than a "get up and do". If you don't like the way the world is, get off your ass and do something about it

nice rant, but way off the mark. I served in the united states marines - and I think that puts me into the "got off my ass and did something" portion of your rant.
you dont know anything about me and thats fine, its easy for you to sit there and throw words when you have no facts to back them up with.

Anyone who would cause harm to the United States, and that includes you, is my enemy. I would gladly expedite your removal from this life if thought you were a threat to the country I have fought for.

nice empty threat. pretty easy to sit in your easy chair and type to the electrons about how tough you are.

I'd drink to that

sounds like you have been drinking quite a bit. if you wish to "talk" - take it to pms - I am done "chatting" with you here.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Very well, see you in the PM's

Added: Taken to PM's because you're the only person I have an issue with at the moment and there's no reason to argue in front of everyone else in here. And BTW, I'm not sitting in an easy chair. I'm actually taking a lunch break from an armed watch on a US military base.