UntamedDOG

Desire to witness a fatality

Believe me, if you see an incident that ended in a fatality, you will feel differently about the sport, especially if it was a friend that died. I have no desire to see any more fatalities than what I've already witnessed. What I've seen was horrible enough. In fact, I never really wanted to see anything like that happen, but once in a while you'll see it happen, especially if you travel often, go to some major boogies, including the WFFC (where I saw one fatality and one near-death incidents). I had a friend that died on a world record attempt that I was supposed to have been on.

Anybody in their right mind would not want to see something like that happen, but I sincerely hope that if the unavoidable happens, they do everything needed to comfort others, take care of things, etc...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's fucked up.

I have NO desire to ever see any one of my friends hurt themselves, let alone kill themselves or be killed. It's not something to "check off your list". Death is a part of our sport, and always will be, but that's not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Witnessing the death of a fellow skydiver is not something to be proud of, and not something that you'll have bragging rights over.

Not a cool thread. Really.

amen.

sounds like you've never had anyone you know die....there are easier ways to grow up... maybe you should just enlist... they get to watch people die on a regular basis... it doesnt really matter HOW you witness a fatality the end result is nearly always the same..

I have so far deleted about a dozen personal attacks on this thread. The next attacks will result in bans.

Keep in mind that personal attacks are NOT ALLOWED on this board no matter how pissed, offended, dismayed or upset you are. Even if someone posts something that makes you think they are evil, or a fool, you are not allowed to call them evil, or a fool. If you will react that way to a post, do not read it.

I have had lots of PM's saying "I don't like that thread; why don't you delete it?" We delete posts that break the rules, not posts that people don't like. Again, not reading it is a good solution if you do not like a thread.

Edited to clarify - we WILL delete posts that have no purpose other than being offensive; see the rules link at the top of the page. I do not believe that is the case here. Despite it being a disturbing post, I believe he is asking a valid question.

I thought one of the rules was something about not specifically trolling and trying to start shit. This guy is obviously doing that. No mentally stable person would ever make a statement like that unless they were trolling or trying to start shit. This is the first time I've read a thread that I honestly don't care if my response gets me banned or not. This guy needs to check himself in somewhere. >:(

This is the first time I've read a thread that I honestly don't care if my response gets me banned or not.

Troll: 1
weegegirl: 0

Why do people get so worked up over stupid things people say, ESPECIALLY if you think the person just said it to start shit?

Dave

Okay, First of all, I think this guy is messed up, but I'm gonna play the devil's advocate.

A lot of people like watching videos of people getting hurt. Like the base jump gone wrong (dam video) ... everybody and their mother has seen that; (some) people like watching other people get hurt ... i think it's fucking twisted as hell; i know what it's like to be hurt, i don't want to watch it happen to others ....

this guy may just be taking it to the next level ... maybe he doesn't know anyone who's ever died and thinks its a great rush ... twisted, yes, but there are a lot of people out there like that.

think about when there's a really bad car crash ... it get surrounded by people who just want to see what's happening; and i can guarantee at least half of those who find this guy's post sickening would be some of those watching the accident.

he just takes it to a higher level, where he's actually looking forward to seeing it.
This ad space for sale.

So you think it's a right of passage, a noble thing to share with others witnessing the death of a fellow jumper? You are truly looking from outside the fish bowl. There is nothing that I can say about the way I felt as I looked into the face of a lady who asked "do you think my friend is OK?" after a terminal velocity impact.

It's not nobile, it's not a right of passage, it's not something you want to see. Let alone be responsible to respond to especially if it's a close friend. It's just sad that's all. Enough said.

jumpervali

I have been skydiving a few years and I have a thought that I would like to share.
This might sound irrational. I find myself a bit eager to experience the rush of a skydiving fatality firsthand. Maybe I am being a drama whore, but I am amazed at how death brings about a sense of fellowship in our sport.

Interesting question, but the use of the word "rush" is probably a bit over the edge. And, I think some of the hostile reply comments are a bit off too.

My hunch is that you feel fatalities are a part of the sport, and you just want to experience all parts of skydiving. I doubt you are "wishing" for a fatality, but probably just wonder how the emotions cycle through from the moment of a death until all seems to be back to normal. And I suspect you wonder if being part of a fatality as a witness will bring you closer to the "brotherhood" of skydiving.

Back in the day we would have laughed about your question, and just said something like "Blue sky, black death." Back then, we embraced the whole "death culture," but today we try to pretend it doesn't happen, or that it is something to be dissected as a technical failure.

Look, fatalities suck. There is nothing good about them, and that whole BSBD thing was over rated. The emotions of a fatalitiy suck major bad, and they really don't bring a DZ closer together. Be very happy you haven't witnessed a fatality yet. You are part of the brotherhood, and the lack of direct experience with "sport death" death doesn't hold you apart from the rest of us at all.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Witnessing a skydivers death has truly become a prerequisite to nobility.

:ph34r:

You SO funny.....

Here...look...something SHINY....go outside now and play...

The adults have things to do in here.

;)

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

I have been skydiving a few years and I have a thought that I would like to share.
This might sound irrational. I find myself a bit eager to experience the rush of a skydiving fatality firsthand. Maybe I am being a drama whore, but I am amazed at how death brings about a sense of fellowship in our sport.

People talk about accidents all the time on DZ.com and I am amazed at how it has become such an accepted topic. There are always the social gatherings like the funerals, and memorial dives dedicated to the victims.

Witnessing a skydivers death has truly become a prerequisite to nobility. I watch skydivers who have recently witnessed a fatality, they always seem to carry themselves with a quiet solemnity. Perhaps they think they have a notch in their belts because they had the pugnacity to continue despite ominous surroundings.

I would like to know if anyone out there feels the same way I do. Has witnessing a skydiving fatality become a “check” on the list of things we are suppose to experience as we become more seasoned skydivers?

No doubt you will be flamed for days for your posting, but I'll assume that you have expressed your honest feelings instead of just trying to start a flame war.

Your point of view seems to be that of an outsider looking in--sort of a detached observer. Nothing wrong with that, but if what you really want is to be among the people you see as the inner core (the "seasoned skydivers"), there really is no checklist of things that will get you there. It is a combination of putting in your time, your jumps, and letting people into YOUR world.

I have seen plenty of people die, although none from skydiving. I was a nurse for years, so I was somewhat of a detached observer in each case.

When I saw a close friend take a very hard landing under a small canopy and get severely busted up, I was not detached at all. He was a friend and a co-worker. I am still grateful that he recovered.

Seeing someone you care about get really fucked up in a skydiving accident doesn't make you a more seasoned skydiver, nor does it make you a better person--it just makes you hurt.

If you seek to feel something intense, I highly recommend trying to think of something that will make you feel intensely GOOD instead of intensely bad. Finding a misrouted chest strap or buried pilot chute handle when you do a gear check on someone will possibly PREVENT you from witnessing a fatality. It will feel a lot better than seeing a bounce.

As a community, I believe we speak freely of skydiving accidents because we need to learn from them and make very sure that something good comes of them, like the prevention of similar accidents.

Every time a skydiver is hurt or killed, it hurts us all.

Walt

People talk about accidents all the time on DZ.com and I am amazed at how it has become such an accepted topic. There are always the social gatherings like the funerals, and memorial dives dedicated to the victims.

Witnessing a skydivers death has truly become a prerequisite to nobility. I watch skydivers who have recently witnessed a fatality, they always seem to carry themselves with a quiet solemnity. Perhaps they think they have a notch in their belts because they had the pugnacity to continue despite ominous surroundings.

I would like to know if anyone out there feels the same way I do. Has witnessing a skydiving fatality become a “check” on the list of things we are suppose to experience as we become more seasoned skydivers?

Be carefull what you wish for

I've personally been witness to the incidents that have lead to two fatalities, one skydiving one not (but still on the dropzone) and have said goodbye to more than one good friend made in this sport. Plain and simple, it's terrible and I wish the experience on no one. A sense of nobility? Hardly. Somber, solemn? You bet.

Again, there is a dark side to this sport and I wish it upon no one.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Saying what you said is just wrong.

If he said it just to stir things up, I agree that it was wrong. If he was actually baring the darker side of his soul, I'm glad he said it so he can get feedback that just might get him to re-evaluate his thoughts. Let's hope he does change his thinking.

Walt

I understand what you are saying....:S You are just typing out the words that are lurking in the dark places of everyones minds.... The unknown of life and death and it's affects on you and the people around you.... I really don't think your "WISHING" for someone to burn in.... I think your asking yourself to understand this part of our sport...

I will tell you that it's no big deal after you been the guy with the bag picking up the parts.... Just meat and bones.....

The person lost, Lives forever in the minds of the ones left behind.... The more people you touch the longer you live on.... The body is just that... A body.

killer......

Death will not strengthen your love for the sport. It will not make you more humble, more mature or more knowledgeable of anything. It will not improve your tracking skills, your sit flying and your non skydiving buddies will only give a damn about your fatality story as long as you keep feeding them beer. So why in the hell would you post such a thing?

I'm sorry......I just have no love for such comments. You need to re-evaluate yourself my friend! I have less jumps then you but I'm no green ass when it comes to death. Life shouldn't be squandered trying to mimic or observe our own end....

"we can either clmib down...or take the 15 second express shuttle" ---- during a snow storm on a 1000 foot antenna

It seems to me that many of those who are flaming the original poster feel the need to mention the deaths they have seen, or to make sure the original poster knows that they are in the club that is 'no stranger to death'.

I think this is perhaps the 'badge of pride' the original poster was referring to and he is just wondering what it feels like to be part of that elite little club. I think the person who compared it to being one of the 'cool people who have been shot' above hit the nail on the head.

nothing to see here

well said Eiley....I guess the original poster didn't phrase it right. Either way....I don't agree w/ wanting to witness a death in the sport to understand the psychy behing those who have. I don't believe it justifies such a comment/demand.

Nothin but jargon!

Godspeed...

"we can either clmib down...or take the 15 second express shuttle" ---- during a snow storm on a 1000 foot antenna