ryoder

ACLU Files Lawsuit: Hold Rumsfeld Accountable

Mr. Lee supports racial discrimination. I don't give him a lot of credibility on human rights.

Interesting that the former military folks are also co-counsel.
:S
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

For some reason, I'm reminded of a classic line:

you can’t hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn’t we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn’t this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn’t this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we’re not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

The following statement is not directed at anyone in particular, but related this post:

It's going to be interesting to see who changes their morality when gas is 10 dollars a gallon (due to supply not being able to keep up with demand b/c of China, India, and other massively industrializing nations in a decade or two) and all hell breaks loose. (hopefully this really doesn't happen, but it could)

There won't be too many people opposed to an unjust oil grab then. Or true torture (as opposed to what Rumsfeld approved) of those fighting us for it.

Being moral is easy when it doesn't cost anything.

Would you be willing to allow another Sept. 11 size attack, and your wife or husband killed in the result, so that Joe Queda Prisoner can get a full nights sleep and a cookie under his pillow? Just a thought. :)
Edited to add:
Ideally, in theory, you shouldn't tortue someone else for any reason, but in reality... well... I would have be Christ or God (or Buddha?) to hold to that ideal if a loved one was directly threatened, and I'm no saint.

>It's going to be interesting to see who changes their morality
>when gas is 10 dollars a gallon (due to supply not being able to
> keep up with demand . . .

Well, that's the true test of morality, isn't it? Morality is what principles people stick to when it's inconvenient to do so.

I will be disappointed if we. as a country, prove ourselves so idiotic that we are willing to spend hundreds of billions on a war to ensure our supply of oil, rather than spend those same hundreds of billions to eliminate our need to import Middle Eastern oil. Sorta like spending tens of thousands on a new liver so you can keep binge drinking.

I don't want to go off into a rant here, but . . .

Would you be willing to allow another Sept. 11 size attack, and your wife or husband killed in the result, so that Joe Queda Prisoner can get a full nights sleep and a cookie under his pillow? Just a thought.

Can you tell me the name of ANY individual held and tortured at Abu Gharib prison that had ANYTHING to do with the September 11, 2001 attacks?

If we capture Usama bin Laden . . . fine, shock his balls 'til he tells us everything and you might have a point, but these were the wrong guys to do -anything- to other than just take them out of play.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>It's going to be interesting to see who changes their morality
>when gas is 10 dollars a gallon (due to supply not being able to
> keep up with demand . . .

Well, that's the true test of morality, isn't it? Morality is what principles people stick to when it's inconvenient to do so.

I will be disappointed if we. as a country, prove ourselves so idiotic that we are willing to spend hundreds of billions on a war to ensure our supply of oil, rather than spend those same hundreds of billions to eliminate our need to import Middle Eastern oil. Sorta like spending tens of thousands on a new liver so you can keep binge drinking.

I agree. But at least once the middle east is dry, the terrorism threat will be over, if you know what I mean.

Not that I blame the US, because the alternative is a collapse that will make the great depression look like the peak of the dot com boom. "The spice must flow"

Well, we know who Rumsfeld supports.

Odd -- why would you make a present tense claim based on a photograph more than 20 years old?

It's a liberal thing - we wouldn't understand
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Odd -- why would you make a present tense claim based on a photograph more than 20 years old?

Would you forgive all actions that took place 20+ years ago?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Would you forgive all actions that took place 20+ years ago?

Do you blame him personally for carrying out official US Policy at the time?

Have you ever had to shake hands, or play nice with someone you do not particularly care for?

Politics make strange bedfellows... Diplomatic winds change... The enemy of our enemy is our freind is a fact of interantional relations.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I'd like to point out to everyone here that we do NOT need Middle Eastern oil. I'm not saying we should stop importing it today, but the fact is that we have the technology right now to switch to alternatives to an oil-based economy. Our economy does not have to be at the mercy of foreign petroleum supplies.

I say, let OPEC raise its prices as much as it wants. It would finally encourage us to get off our asses & switch to alternative energy sources.

Biodiesel can be used in diesel engines with very minor modifications. This can be used until we get the hydrogen fuel cell technology up to speed. Biodiesel can also be used as a home heating oil. Biotech companies are currently devising lubricants & plastics from non-petroleum sources.

The fact is, these middle eastern countries need our money a lot more than we need their oil. We have alternatives already in place.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

That is what it is called a conflict of interests. When someone has to take decisions for the common good of a majority that will go against their own interest.

Oil -> Bush -> Arbusto oil company
War -> Cheney -> Halliburton, etc...

Don´t you have in the U.S to severe all ties with the competence or actual clients before entering any responsability job in a company?

Cheney has no responsibilities to Halliburton... he is being paid deferred compensation from when he did, before entering the administration... he would get the same amount even if there were no war, or if Halliburton didn't get any work out of it... if there were any evidence to the contrary , it would have come out by now... let it go.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Cheney has no responsibilities to Halliburton... he is being paid deferred compensation from when he did, before entering the administration... he would get the same amount even if there were no war, or if Halliburton didn't get any work out of it... if there were any evidence to the contrary , it would have come out by now... let it go.

J

They can't let it go. To to so would require an understanding of how the contract process within the Govt. works, and the checks and balances put in place to prevent such an occurance. Much easier to throw stones in total bliss.

"They can't let it go."

Those amongst us who work for Halliburton can.:);)

I know you can because you understand the process and also what your companies capabilities are compared to your competitors. A buddy of mine works for Haliburton (a Brit) and we spent over an hour last weekend discussing Haliburtons role as a General Contractor in providing services in Iraq, and the role of sub-contractors hired by Haliburton.