storm1977

Gay men/ rare STD/ and spreading HIV!

Well, naturally you can't use what you don't have, but typically it is not the problem of "not having them". The problem is typically people not wanting to use them.

Ok, of all the men you've slept with, how many have said "no" when you've offered up a condom? Also, of all the gay establishments you've been in, how many have had Zero information posted regarding safe/safer sex?

edited to add: What is the term used to discribe intercourse between two men when no condom is used? And, what is the general opion of said activity in the gay comunity?
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

What is the term used to discribe intercourse between two men when no condom is used? And, what is the general opion of said activity in the gay comunity?

linz raises her hand.....umm, Barebacking?
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

> Giving out condoms doesn't teach Safe sex....

No. But if 2000 are given away freely by a volunteer group, it means that people are using them for safe sex and it's not costing the government a dime - which is how things should work in an ideal world.

What? Where did that come from? If they gave away 2000 free condoms it means simply that they gave away 2000 free condoms. For all you know they were used to make balloon animals. I propose that the majority of those who took and used the free condoms would have likely used condoms that they payed for in the first place. Whether or not I'm not right, your statement is without proof.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Very good Linz, but I was hoping to get the answer from gay sex expert professor Storm1977 ;) However since you know the answer, what is the predominant sentiment of barebacking in the gay community, and what does it say about the gay community that there is a term for it?
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

>For all you know they were used to make balloon animals.

Right! And for all you know, all legal gun sales in the US go straight to terrorists. Therefore, there's no benefit in allowing gun sales - unless, of course, you have solid proof that most guns do not go to terrorists.

Right! And for all you know, all legal gun sales in the US go straight to terrorists. Therefore, there's no benefit in allowing gun sales - unless, of course, you have solid proof that most guns do not go to terrorists.

Nice try, Bill. But I never said that there was no benefit to giving out condoms, as a matter of fact I think it's a good idea. I simply said that you had no proof that because 2000 condoms were given out that 2000 condoms were used. I have a feeling though that you already knew that. ;)

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

>I simply said that you had no proof that because 2000 condoms were
>given out that 2000 condoms were used.

I see. Well, thank god you found something to argue about, then! You might end up agreeing with me on something if you're not careful.

Very good Linz, but I was hoping to get the answer from gay sex expert professor Storm1977 ;) However since you know the answer, what is the predominant sentiment of barebacking in the gay community, and what does it say about the gay community that there is a term for it?

I'm just a little too outside the loop to know....;)

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

edited to add: What is the term used to discribe intercourse between two men when no condom is used? And, what is the general opion of said activity in the gay comunity?

Fuck of death? I think, if that's the term, it describes pretty well how the gay community feels about it. :)
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

right.... so that explains why AIDs is such a big problem again amoungst gays. Because it's frowned upon (sarcasm).

Maybe in your circle Keith.... I don't know.
But there is obviously a large problem.

Do you disagree?
Am I making it up....

So, barebacking it is frowned upon in the gay community, and there is no real AIDs issue right.
Because if no one is doing it, then the disease isn't
spreading through intercourse.

That is interesting... So, 71% of AIDs cases in Miami in '01' which were gay men didn't get or spread the disease through unprotected sex. They were all shooting up in the corner I guess and passing needles around.

Frowned upon or not.... People obviously aren't practicing what they are preaching then are they?

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

That is interesting... So, 71% of AIDs cases in Miami in '01' which were gay men didn't get or spread the disease through unprotected sex. They were all shooting up in the corner I guess and passing needles around.

Let's not forget that the estimated Gay population in the US is somewhere between 1 to 4% sepending on who you listen to.

Soulfire- a right activist group? estimates 1-2% of women and 3-4% of men. Many other groups consider the number much lower.

So if even 5% of the population account for lets say 50% of the new cases, does that really mean they are at a higher risk? Apperently not if you ask them.

I am learning a lot about gays in this thread from the people arguing from their side, and it is not very positive. I really don't know any gays in life so this has been very enlighting to realize how defensive and in denial they are.
Interesting.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

but there is all sort of grouping possible that will make the fight against HIV much more useful.

So who is to say your grouping is better? If the higest at risk groups are black females and gay males, why spend money on white upper-class males?

You will agree with me that the government has an agenda.

No, I will not.

As i side note, i remember how hard it was for me when i was 16 to get a condom in a little town in colorado and how popular was having sex in that high school. A recipe for disater if you ask me.

It was easy for me to get condoms...And I lived in the bible belt.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

***I am learning a lot about gays in this thread from the people arguing from their side, and it is not very positive

I'm reminded of all the Far Side cartoons where kids/husbands/dogs are shown hearing what they want to hear.

What owner said: "Bad Fido. You pooped in the house. You're in big trouble. You're not getting your doggie treat today. Bad dog. Bad bad dog!"

What Fido hears: "... .... ... ... .. .... .... ... doggie treat ... ... .. .... ... ... ...."

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I am learning a lot about gays in this thread from the people arguing from their side, and it is not very positive. I really don't know any gays in life so this has been very enlighting to realize how defensive and in denial they are.
Interesting.

That's a huge assumption youre making. This happened to me in college. Dated a girl for over 4 months, one time I went into her bathroom in the morning, I needed crap for my contacts. As Im searching threw her medicine cabinet I find a new sript for Famvir. I was pissed, but I didnt assume after that that all women are liars.

Yeah, HIV is more prominant in the gay community than the hetero one. Yes, they are proactive about combating it. But there are still dumbass out there with the "I wont happen to me" mentality. Shit look at our community. One of my friends told me of a local so cal jumper, 500 so jumps, who got a sub 100 x-braced main AFTER everyone at his Dz told him not to. Now he's in a wheel chair. People do stupid shit. In this day and age sex can fucking kill you. Out of the 400k cases of new HIV infection from 99-03 over 60% are men, out of those 11% are hetero non IV durg users male. Now knowing that the transmission of this bug is very hard in unprotected hetero sex thats a lot of unprotected f-ing around isnt it. How many times did those guys have unprotected sex in order to get this bug.

I'm reminded of all the Far Side cartoons where kids/husbands/dogs are shown hearing what they want to hear.

See here is the thing...

We have some members of the gay community saying that sex without a condom is taboo. "Barebacking" is the "Fuck of Death" (BTW, Barebacking applies in the straight community as well...)

But the highest segment of growth..AND the highest number of raw cases are in the gay community.

So what does that mean?

Are gays just giving "lip service" to the problem...Or is a small segment (maybe the folks on here) actually trying to make a difference...But they are a minority?

See the numbers show that a small segment of the population has the highest rate and raw number...

So please, what is the cause?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Are you asking me personally? I hardly represent the gay community. I'm a monogamous, married man. I have nearly zero rational basis to make statistical or societal arguments about gay people overall.

Oddly, I don't think any of you have any more basis than I do. Likely even less. I'm just smart enough to know what I don't know.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Are you asking me personally?

Well I am asking you...:P

I hardly represent the gay community

True, but I bet you know more about the gay community than I do.

I have nearly zero rational basis to make statistical or societal arguments about gay people overall.

You have a better idea than I do...I bet that you were not always married.

I however have never been gay.

Oddly, I don't think any of you have any more basis than I do. Likely even less. I'm just smart enough to know what I don't know.

That would be why I asked you.

However there are facts that I don't need to be gay to understand...Gays are a smaller segment of the population then hetero's but have a higher rate and raw number of HIV cases.

Add in that several folks seem to say that the gay community is quite aware of the problem, yet the smaller group still has the higher number of cases...

So I can only suggest that:

A. They are not informed, or aware of the truth.
B. It is a totaly non-effective attempt.

I asked you since you had a much higher chance of knowing than me, and *most* times are not emotional and are logical.

If you do know, please educate...If you don't thanks anyway.

If you will see I am SUPPORTING more education to reduce the effect of HIV on the gay community.

>I really don't know any gays in life. . .

I wouldn't be so sure. Many hide their sexuality from people who they think will not accept it. In conservative language, they "don't shove their sexuality down your throat." In real language they're afraid of what your reaction will be. Many people hate and fear gays.

That guy on the 8-way team? That woman in the bar? That USPA official? Don't assume they're all heterosexual. You know what they say about assuming.

>so this has been very enlighting to realize how defensive and in denial they are.

Now that's funny! Will you get enlightened about how murderous all arabs are next?

Will you get enlightened about how murderous all arabs are next?

Shit, they are? Damnit, I knew it!

I've got to tell you, this has been one of the oddest threads to watch.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Uh oh! More enlightenment! It's breaking out all over.

Ha!

I'm gonna have to tell the Flying Arab about it. He'd laugh his ass off!

(he's a video guy in houston and yup, you guessed it, he's arab).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Will you get enlightened about how murderous all arabs are next

I'm being enlightened on how incredibly insightful some conservatives are about people they have absolutely no contact with. I think I'm going to change and become a right-winger, so that I too can know what's right in all situations.

Damn. I can't even just say "conservatives" but I have to qualify it with the "some." I guess I'm just not ready yet :P:S. I'll keep working on it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>I'm gonna have to tell the Flying Arab about it. He'd laugh his ass off!

Our local flying arab actually changed his name (legally) from an arab sounding name to a more american sounding name. He was getting threatened in bars and in stores. Made me sad to hear that.