billvon

Racism and sexism are alive and well in the US

You are way off base.

After reading the entire transcript you clearly pulled a "Moore" and edited it to have the reader take in a different message than the speaker intended.

True, though republicans should be outraged over this thought process. It is awefully similar in thought to affirmative action which is denounced as racist by most republicans.

True, though republicans should be outraged over this thought process. It is awefully similar in thought to affirmative action which is denounced as racist by most republicans.

So its wrong for Republicans to do it, but OK for Democrats?

Republicans should be attacked for it, Democrats should be treated as heros for it?

I think you are mistaking some simple facts.

Minorities specificly black males seem to live shorter life spans than say white women.

It is an established fact. I don't bitch about how most pro basketball players are 7 foot black males. They are better suited to the sport than a 5'6" white female.

Facts are facts.

Why not look into ALL the evidence you can get?

I am not sure where he wants to go with this, but he is only asking questions and yet he was lept on by a liberal for even getting close to a topic.

If I say that black males on average live shorter lives than white females it is not racist.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

>By treating them differently. Check out the definition of racism.

"Differently"

if men live to average 80 and women live to average 90 (just numbers for discussion) which of following parentheticals would say constitutes different treatment?

1 - Both get 20 years of retirement (men retire at 60 and women retire at 70)

or

2 - Both retire at 65 (men get 15 years of retirement while women get 25 years of retirement)

or

3 - How about we all get to retire once we've contributed {number = (x-number of dollars against our retirement)/(life expectancy per our demographic - current age) adjusted to forecasted inflation, etc etc etc} thus are stupid laws born based on good intentions and governmental programs

I'm really interested in which of the 1st two bothers you worse. I just want to see how you think. Exploring these arguments hurts no one and might add light to a confusing issue.

Or, we could just keep our money (or a larger portion of it) and invest it in private accounts and then we all are responsible equally. But that's not fair either by someone's definition.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It is awefully similar in thought to affirmative action which is denounced as racist by most republicans.

...and democrats with dictionaries.

discrimination

Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice

racism

Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

By definition, discrimination by race is racism, isn't it?
Affirmative Action is discrimination by race and sex.

So its wrong for Republicans to do it, but OK for Democrats?

Republicans should be attacked for it, Democrats should be treated as heros for it?

Yup, that is exactly what I said..... [ crazy]

Minorities specificly black males seem to live shorter life spans than say white women.

So, women tend to have more babies than men, does that mean we should not employ them? :S

By definition, discrimination by race is racism, isn't it?
Affirmative Action is discrimination by race and sex.

I am not disagreeing with you. But it is odd that those who are against affirmative action would support the line of thinking put forward in the original post.

So, women tend to have more babies than men, does that mean we should not employ them? :S

Funny

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Are you outraged that women live longer than men, or don't you consider that an advantage?

NAw....they're the crapy years at the end...... besides what do you sugest gets done about it?:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

So, women tend to have more babies than men, does that mean we should not employ them?

Typical missdirect from your side.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

One way of looking at it is to charge women more for insurance, another would be to accept that all of us are equa and split the costs 50/50. I prefer the latter.

Me too, especially if we extend it to car/driver coverage. Otherwise, well, the precedent already exists to charge different insurance premiums for gender-based risk discrepancies.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

"Racism and sexism are alive and well in the US" ...and in many other countries, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Billvon's referenced article is a case in point.

One problem is that the world has become so hyper-sensitized to those two words and look around nervously whenever they are used. The very words alone raise great big red flags for moderators in these forums.
As many have mentioned already, the context of the article suggests measures that would benefit certain races or groups, and these measures may well be a good thing. But why call a spade a shovel ?
It's outrageous that people only make a fuss about discrimination when it's derogatory or detrimental to a particular group, so much so that the very definition of the word has become twisted in the minds of many people as something that only applies to 'negative' situations.

In theory, we should all be at risk of being banned from this forum for suggesting that a particular race or gender group has a different life expectancy than others.
Science has no place in the domains of religion and political correctness.
-
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

would support the line of thinking put forward in the original post.

What line of thinking is that? That you should look at the issue in its totality... who would be against that?

Affimative Action is racism... Social Security should be scraped... you worry about your retirement, and I'll worry about mine.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

"Racism and sexism are alive and well in the US" ...and in many other countries, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Billvon's referenced article is a case in point.

One problem is that the world has become so hyper-sensitized to those two words and look around nervously whenever they are used. The very words alone raise great big red flags for moderators in these forums.
As many have mentioned already, the context of the article suggests measures that would benefit certain races or groups, and these measures may well be a good thing. But why call a spade a shovel ?
It's outrageous that people only make a fuss about discrimination when it's derogatory or detrimental to a particular group, so much so that the very definition of the word has become twisted in the minds of many people as something that only applies to 'negative' situations.

In theory, we should all be at risk of being banned from this forum for suggesting that a particular race or gender group has a different life expectancy than others.
Science has no place in the domains of religion and political correctness.
-

That is what I call a reasonable post. Well said.
:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I'm a bit disapointed that Bill dropped this turd on us, defending it once by tossing another lame accusation of racism at me for calling him on it, and hasn't been seen since to defend his ideas.

Where's that famous willingness to admit when you're wrong that he so admires?

Come on Bill! You were so proud of Bush for admitting he may have been wrong, we'll be just as proud of you!
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

One way of looking at it is to charge women more for insurance, another would be to accept that all of us are equa and split the costs 50/50. I prefer the latter.

They charge different amounts for car insurance based on age and sex. Isn't that bias even if it is based off of statistics?

I'm a bit disapointed that Bill dropped this turd on us, defending it once by tossing another lame accusation of racism at me for calling him on it, and hasn't been seen since to defend his ideas.

Where's that famous willingness to admit when you're wrong that he so admires?

Come on Bill! You were so proud of Bush for admitting he may have been wrong, we'll be just as proud of you!

I suspect Bush admitted he was "wrong" because his handlers convinced him it would be advantageous to his image and allow him to more effectively pursue his goals.

It's quite a common ploy, actually.
What could possibly go wrong?