funks

Neighborhood going to shit!

Keep in mind I live in a very conservative suburban area in the DC metro vicinity. Within the past couple of months the following changes have taken place:

1. Walmart has moved in. Not that big of a deal to me but I am sure it will bring in lower income people looking to save money.

2. A dollar store has gone in the same shopping center that walmart now occupies.

3. A quick cash place has gone in next to the dollar store.

4. An entire clan of Spanish speaking people have moved in next door to me. I caught two of the little fuckers trying to open both our car doors at 3:00am on Xmas Eve!!! To make matters worse, their father was watching them do it. Bastards! Nothing against Spanish people (unless they dont speak English) but these people have caravans of cars coming by all throughout the night and they make more noise than you can imagine. They just moved in to the neighborhood, you would think they would show a little more respect! Fuckers!>:(

5. Police helicopters flying overhead in the middle of the night is becoming more of a common occurrence.

My neighborhood is on a downward death spiral towards scumville. Thank god I am moving:ph34r:

So, how is your neighborhood doing?

Just because a Spanish speaking family moved in next to you does not mean your neighborhood is going to "shit". I, personally, live in a very diverse neighborhood comprised of many different types of people including Spanish speaking families. I also live near a Wal-Mart. I may not live in the richest part of town, but my neighborhood is fairly quiet and is nowhere near going to "shit".

You need to be careful about stereotyping a group of people. A bunch of white teenagers could be trying to break into your car too.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

>So, how is your neighborhood doing?

Ours is fine. No crime to speak of, and our next door neighbor is always taking out our trash for us (we babysit for them.) Our other neighbor deep-sea fishes a lot, and we get tuna in exchange for the occasional cookies. We had a mega-mall move in about four miles from us but it hasn't affected us very much. We're basically your quiet residential neighborhood.

I'm afraid you'd hate it, though. Several families there don't speak english, and are rude enough to say "hola" or "chao ong" to people in the street!

You need to be careful about stereotyping a group of people. A bunch of white teenagers could be trying to break into your car too.

If people dont want to be stereotyped, then tell them not to act the stereotype. Sorry, I believe multiple families and family members living in one house is a bad sign. Yes, a bunch of white teenagers could have tried to break into our cars...but they didnt, it was the fuckers who just moved in next door.

[reply
I'm afraid you'd hate it, though. Several families there don't speak english, and are rude enough to say "hola" or "chao ong" to people in the street!

I wouldnt hate it as long as they could understand when i responded to them in English.

My neighborhood's fine. Also mixed. I don't know if everyone speaks English, but, well, they all seem to respond to a smile and a wave.

BTW, you wouldn't have had nearly the negative reaction if you'd just mentioned that it was a clan of assholes that moved in next door, and said nothing about their choice of language.

The neighbor who vandalized the car of one of our guests once spoke only English.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

. Sorry, I believe multiple families and family members living in one house is a bad sign.

A bad sign for what? Crime?

Well lets see here, considering within 2 weeks of them moving in they attempted to break into not one, but both of my cars I would say the answer to your question is a resounding YES.

>I wouldnt hate it as long as they could understand when i responded to them in English.

I'm afraid you would be out of luck, then. We just wave and avoid the issue. (Or we say 'hola' back, but I know that's out of the question for you.) So be happy about that - you may have crime and cruddy discount stores in your area, but at least you don't have neighbors that greet you in TWO different non-american languages!

Sorry, I believe multiple families and family members living in one house is a bad sign

It depends on the situation though. What's wrong with having a several generations living under the same roof. The Untied States is one of the few countries I know of that send off the older generations to nursing homes when they become a nuisance. You wouldn't see that in most Asian or Latin American countries where IMHO family ties are a lot stronger than here in the States.

It depends on the situation though. What's wrong with having a several generations living under the same roof. The Untied States is one of the few countries I know of that send off the older generations to nursing homes when they become a nuisance. You wouldn't see that in most Asian or Latin American countries where IMHO family ties are a lot stronger than here in the States.

That was very well said:)

You can mention kids these days. Your situation sounds familiar to numerous generations of Americans. It started off with some natives wondering who those pale faced guys were, talking strange tongues and using strange weapons. That was, oh, about 500 years ago...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

and said nothing about their choice of language.

As a legal immigrant to the US I feel it is RIDICULOUS that people will move here and not speak the accepted predominant language. Call me what you want, but if I moved to Germany I'd learn how to speak German.

It's pathetic how non-PC it's become to expect someone to speak the language, or at least make a good faith effort to learn it, of the country they're living in.

In South Africa, when people moved there, they were expected to learn afrikaans in school (required to pass a grade). Some leniency was given but by and large it was expected that you assimilate with the culture, not expect the culture to adopt your spoken tongue.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

A Mexican-American family moved into our neighborhood and cleaned up and beautified one of the junkier looking houses in the 'hood. They are really nice people with what appears to be a tightknit, extended family. I'll take a dozen more just like them. :P

I feel your pain, though. We've got a few kids in this neighborhood that are borderline delinquents. I'm sure my car will get busted into one of these nights. Someone already tried our house a few years back but the alarm chased them off.

They do this because that's how they survive; they're counting on 'em for future support. In San Jose, CA the educated chinese move their elderly parents from their homeland, and promptly place them in adult communities...and Social Security picks up the tab!

.... whoa...

what about those "unknowing people who simply moved into a new home in a new neighborhood"....:|
Little did they know that they were gonna be living next door to Archie Bunker... [:/]
don't like it?? call the cops... or
move away,,,
If you don't like " the little fuckers" it's not a big deal cause.....
I bet they don't like YOU either...
... lighten up friend... life is a looong journey.. better to get along with people than to badmouth them.... That's the trouble with "very conservative suburban areas " they have NO tolerance whatsoever........instead of seeking harmony they just up and Leave...
Maybe that will work for you,,, only don't move into MY neighborhood.....I'm afraid you would be unwelcome here... You see,,,Here we judge a person by their Character,, ( or lack thereof ) not their heritage...

y tu madre tambien pinga.

so move back to europe if you can't handle your shit sugar. you should come up here to brooklyn and really vent ... you know, let it all out .

deep breath....in..........out........in..........out..........

ok ....i'm better....hey funks, i too would be pissed , real pissed if someone was breaking into my car. and i can understand your fear of the unknown, and your fear of losing power and of the playing field leveling. but race or language really doesn't have anything to do with it.

your car won't get fucked with if you keep everything out of site. if they look in and don't see anything , they'll probroblly move on. if not, a good beat down ussually breaks the language barrier pretty good. nothing malicious, but just enough to get your point accross.

people see me as a challenge to their balance

Funks I fell your irritation. Unfortunately this is a problem for most western world countries. Iammdrennan it would be great if all immigrants learnt the countries predominant language, in my country we too have major racial tension for this reason alone.

"If people don't want to be stereotyped, then tell them not to act the stereotype." This is one of the funniest things I have ever read, because it's so true. Most of the time it's not a stereotype, but the truth. In NZ the dark skinned youth, and some white skinned dress and act like the hardcore gangs of America, not that I know what they look or act like but what I have seen on TV? This is what irritates people so much is they aren't even interested in they're own culture, but the culture of gangs in another country.

Bill I don't know what those words mean, but if there anything like the ones we get, it just shows some peoples disrespect for others.

Jimmy I don't think there would be a problem with them moving in if they could speak English and weren't ripping off his car, while the father was watching....That shows very little Character on his behalf. "Better to get along with people than to badmouth them" I've tried that, I'm willing to change, I believe they don't want too?

In my neighborhood it was 4 boyracers in they're little Jap car that killed a 4 year old girl 2 months ago.

Lozza.

The point this person is trying to make is that the "poor" need lots of space because their behavior is often brusk and vociferous. And poor doesn't mean lack of money, simply a lack of desirable character.

> because their behavior is often brusk and vociferous.

You do realize that brusque and vociferous are antonyms, right?

>And poor doesn't mean lack of money, simply a lack of desirable character.

Actually, it means exactly that. "The poor" are those without much money or possessions, by definition.

Ours is doing pretty good. I still wave to the old lady walking her dog every morning. She lives next door... but according to her, the neighborhood may be going down the drain. After all, I am the crazy mexican next door who totes parachutes almost daily.... I must be on some terrorist attack mission ;)

Just messin with ya man... but uh, wal-mart is cool, k?